Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit, and today I got it all set up and started going, and everything seemed to go smoothly, but a the end I found that the rounds didn't chamber as readily as factory ammo...and they were a pain in he ass to unchamber...the OD of my final case is just a fraction too big. the dies I am using are Hornady, they were a used set, but didn't seem to show too much wear...is the issue with the OD of the round cased my the deprime/resize die? or is it something going on with the crimping/seating die? or is it a sign of a different issue? any help is welcome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a Rock Chucker for everything. Are we talking rifle or pistol cases? You may want to check to see if you are using a neck sizing die, which is only useful in bolt action or single shot rifles, and the brass must be matched to that gun. If not, I'd try a new die.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
First..........I havent' reloaded in about 20 years.

Second...........I had the RCBS Rock Chucker when I did reload.

Third.........I would think that even with the dies being used, I can't see them "wearing out".

Fourth.............I would think your problem lies somewhere in the resizing step. Can't really speak about the Hornady dies, I used the RCBS ones.

I assume you are talking about the OD (outer diameter) and not the OAL (over-all length.

I guess it may help if we knew what caliber you were reloading for. But still, if they are tight in the chamber and not able to be ejected easily, I would think it is the resizing step. Unless the OAL is too long, it may be grabbing (being pushed) into the lands and grooves of the barrel and it may be catching the bullet making it hard to eject/extract.

I assume you have a set of vernier calibers. Did you try measuring the length also to compare it to a factory bullet that is close to the one you are reloading?

Hell.............I don't know. :lol: Like I said, it's been 20 years.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along in the morning to help you out.

Good luck with your reloading. If I had more time I would like to get back into reloading. For now though, it is factory rounds for me. :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll make a stupid guess and assume you are loading .45(I do). I'll say maybe you got a deal on some lead bullets(I did). After you reloaded them you went to the range and found out they wouldn't seat and wouldn't come out(I did).
Modificationvt, try dropping an empty, sized case into the barrel and see if it goes in and out easily. Assuming, along w/all my other assumptions, you have calipers, measure the diameter of the projectile you are loading. For .45: jacketed bullets should be .451; lead bullets .452; 9mm .355; 40S&W .40.
Surely someone wiser than I will pick up from here.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the lack of information, I reloaded 45 ACP, and it is the OD of the finished case, not the OAL of the round. I did not get these o the range yet, after reloading my first 50 rounds I went and tried to cycle them threw my 1911 and it just didn't work, (some wouldn't let it go into battery, some would, but they all where a PITA to unchamber)the dies are 45ACP/AR/WIN.

Hopefuly this helps you guys help me better...

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
sorry for the lack of information, I reloaded 45 ACP, and it is the OD of the finished case, not the OAL of the round. I did not get these o the range yet, after reloading my first 50 rounds I went and tried to cycle them threw my 1911 and it just didn't work, (some wouldn't let it go into battery, some would, but they all where a PITA to unchamber)the dies are 45ACP/AR/WIN.

Hopefuly this helps you guys help me better...
C'mon, Mod, we need more. What kind of bullets? Lead? FMJ?

Also, what's the diameter of the case after resizing (before seating)? And what are the bullet diameters?

Check them w/ a calipers--the label on the box may be incorrect.

Also, is the chamber clean?

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Still not enough information.
1)What Bullet are you reloading? Manufacture, weight, bullet description.
2) What is the OAL?
3) Did you set up your resizing die according to fact reccomended specs? You may not be doing a full case resize if resizer die does not toutch the shellholder at the bottom of the stroke on empty adjustment.
4) what is the measurement of the outside of the loaded round (at the widest point) :confused:?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
1. As stated what type of bullets?
2. Check your sizer, with shell plate or holder all the way up is the sizer touching?
3. Are you removing the bell of the mouth?
4. Do you have a case gage? if the fit that you should be GTG you can use your barrel if no case gage

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, the Outside Diameter of the case is .475", I am using Hornady XTP 230gr(JHP, it was all I could find for .45ACP bullets, Christmas cleaned out all the reloading stuff around here) the OD of the bullet is .449, and the over all length of my finished round is 1.2435"

The chamber I was trying to get them to go into is clean and I followed these instructions for setting the dies, (scrole down to see the three die set instructions.) How to Adjust Reloading Dies

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This may help a little. On the sizing die, I adjust mine by putting the ram in the up position (handle all the way down) and then screwing in the die until it touches the shell holder. Be sure you have the shell holder in place.
Also when I reload .45 amd 9mm I have the barrel, Just the Barrel, of the gun nearby. When I complete the round I insert it into the barrel. It should go in easily. You may also have a tight chamber in your barrel which would cause problems.
To see how a round fits in your particular barrel use a factory round as a quideline.
As for not feeding in all the way, that is usually a bullet seating depth thing. Also check the crimp.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
More questions, where did you get your used brass, was it fired in the same gun or another one? and are you full length resizing them.

·
Registered
450 Posts
sorry for the lack of information, I reloaded 45 ACP
Re .45 ACP, you may need more crimp. You should also check that the bullet isn't seated too high. Why too high? If the bullet bites into the rifling, you might have trouble seating the cartridge in the chamber.

If you need to be sure about your crimp, you might want to get a Lee FActory Crimp Die, and just set the RCBS seater die to seat with no crimp.

but didn't seem to show too much wear
Don't worry about it. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never seen worn out die set.

Also, don't worry about needing to trim handgun cases, or measure them. I measured for a good long time when I started hand loading, and never ran into one that was overlength. That's an issue with rifle rounds, not pistol.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More questions, where did you get your used brass, was it fired in the same gun or another one? and are you full length resizing them.
the brass is Independence, and it was fired out of the same gun I am reloading for. I am using Hornaday Custom-Grade New Dimension Dies 45ACP/AR/WIN. I thought these where resizing the whole case, but after all was said and done Im not sure, thats what I am trying to figure out.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Try 2 new rounds from your reload cases, do a resize to full length. change the overall length of the finished round to 1.20 and change the readjust the seating die to crimp the shell to a diameter of .470 to .471 after the bullet is seated. Take these rounds and see if the problem is corrected and they chamber and eject easily. Looks like to me your bullets are both too long and too wide.

What powder brand and charge weight are you using? We need to know if you are loading a safe charged bullet?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, I just got a little more insight as to whats going on, when I resize the brass it on its own slides in and out of the chamber easily, but once I put the bullet in it stops going in and out easily, and I think I can see that the case is rubbing the chamber at the base of the bullet...so do I just have bullets that are too big?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Without researching your dies, I doubt that anyone would sell a .45 ACP die that does not full length size. Start by sizing some cases and try dropping them into the barrel (out of the gun) to see if they are going in all the way. The back of the case should not reach the end of the barrel hood. Next, seat a bullet in one of them, leaving it longer than you think you should. Crimp it lightly (just enough to take the burr off). Of course, we are talking about a dummy round, no primer or powder!!! Now, lightly drop the round into the barrel and determine where the back of the case is in relation to the barrel hood. If you seated the bullet very long like I'm hoping, it should be out past the end of the hood. Now, take that round and seat the round in a small amount deeper, each time checking it in the barrel until you are even with the hood. That will tell you the absolute max OAL for a particular bullet which is still too long, but you will know the point where you will start having chambering problems.You now need to seat the bullet in further for safety. A case gage would be nice to have and a reloading manual with your particular bullet for OAL is a must. I a pinch, you can seat the bullet in .015/.020 more to give it enough room to sit under the length of the hood but unless you are an advanced reloader, nothing beats published data. Actually, even experienced reloaders need published data. Safety is number one importance. Don't over crimp as you will start to distort the case OD if you go too far. Start with just enough crimp that you can see the edge is taken off. Pust the bullet against a hard surface to make sure it won't move in. Doesn't take a lot to hold the bullet properly.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try 2 new rounds from your reload cases, do a resize to full length. change the overall length of the finished round to 1.20 and change the readjust the seating die to crimp the shell to a diameter of .470 to .471 after the bullet is seated. Take these rounds and see if the problem is corrected and they chamber and eject easily. Looks like to me your bullets are both too long and too wide.

What powder brand and charge weight are you using? We need to know if you are loading a safe charged bullet?
I am using 5.5 gr of Unique. (the speer reloading book said to use 5.4-6gr.)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts