Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, excuse my AR15 ignorance. I have been trying to learn the different parts available for the ar15 platform but as I suspect most of you know it's quite overwhelming. Basically I am looking to purchase an AR15 in the next few days. I have been eyeing Del-Ton.com's rifle kits minus stripped lower. I have just chosen this site off of several good reviews I have heard about them, If I should steer to another site please let me know. Either way, I pretty much only know I want a 16" ar15 with a collapsable stock, beyond that I am alittle lost. I will admit a low price is important to me, but if somthing is a just must have I will spend the money. Can anyone make some recommendations? If you need some more info from me just let me know and I can tell you.

·
Premium Member
37,686 Posts
what are your plans for the rifle?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly it's just for fun, probably 95% of it will just be plinking. I am a lefty, and I know from reading that I will need to make sure I have a brass deflector on the upper... I see on Del-Ton's site that they have a "Flat top w/ m4 feed ramp" listed, which is what I want.... But it doesn't specify if it has a brass deflector. Where as the A1 option the site site specifically mentions having a brass deflector. Does anyone know if the flat top w/ m4 feed ramps from del-ton has a brass deflector?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Honestly it's just for fun, probably 95% of it will just be plinking. I am a lefty, and I know from reading that I will need to make sure I have a brass deflector on the upper... I see on Del-Ton's site that they have a "Flat top w/ m4 feed ramp" listed, which is what I want.... But it doesn't specify if it has a brass deflector. Where as the A1 option the site site specifically mentions having a brass deflector. Does anyone know if the flat top w/ m4 feed ramps from del-ton has a brass deflector?
If it has a forward assist then it has a brass deflector. There are only 2 configurations of uppers that Im aware of that specificaly involve the brass deflector. One has a forward assist, duct cover and deflector, the other does not have any of the 3.

·
Registered
278 Posts
+1 on the Stag lefty setup. Stag makes damn nice rifles, and the lefties seem to be easier to find right now as demand is lower. You could buy a complete rifle, or just a lefty upper and put an ambi mag release and safety on whatever lower you buy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 on the Stag suggestion.
I'm not a lefty, but I have shot my AR weak side, and even with a deflector it sucks to get hot brass all over yourself........

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck trying to get one ...
I am not in too much of a rush, I know its a mad house right now with the election outcome and all.
Now should I just get a standard a2 front site for the gasblock? Also if a go flattop I will need a rear site wont I? If I do would a detachable handle be a reasonable alternative or just go pop up? I saw the lefty uppers, although cool I think I just wan't a standard set up w/ a deflector.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I am not in too much of a rush, I know its a mad house right now with the election outcome and all.
Now should I just get a standard a2 front site for the gasblock? Also if a go flattop I will need a rear site wont I? If I do would a detachable handle be a reasonable alternative or just go pop up? I saw the lefty uppers, although cool I think I just wan't a standard set up w/ a deflector.
I really don't like the A2 front sight with optics attached, since I don't like a cowitness...but I do like the overall look of it over flip ups. It's really a personal decision, I'm going with an A2 sight for my current build.

If you get a flattop you will need a rear sight of some sort. The detachable carry handles will work if you don't mind taking it off if you want optics on there. You can also get a fixed rear sight so you can fit optics in front of it. All in all I prefer a flip up for the rear, mainly because I like optics on all my AR's.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Go flattop with Troys on the front and rear. This is my rifle to give you some ideas. The rear sight is the Troy Battle Sight. I've got the front one that will be going on tomorrow. I've just got to install my new Samson gas block to remove the front sight.

PS: I love my baby !!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, I am looking at del-ton's and building a ar, minus lower, with a few upgrades (chrome lined barrel, 4 rail handguard, magpul stock, flip up rear site) is alittle over 700. Now on ar15sales.com I see a stag ar, minus stripped lower, for 633. It doesn't look like it has a railed handguard and doesn't mention if the barrel is chromed but is this a better way to go? How does stag compare to del-ton?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts