Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost I am glad I had the money to test these. I almost staked me and my families future on these rounds. I picked up a box of 50 of these as a hopeful for SD ammo in case of something happening at my house. Took them to the range in my XD45 along with 150 rounds of no name garbage .45 ACP. Filled 10 rounds per clip and on the first clip experienced something new with my XD. My first FTF or any malfunction in 1000+ rounds through my gun. Needless to say I racked the slide and continued. In 5 10 round magazines I had 2 FTF in each one equating to a 20% failure rate. In between these magazines I shot cheap .45 ACP I got for $13 bucks per 50 bag at the local gun show. These flowed smoothly just like the WWB I usually shoot yet the Federal jammed at the same rate each time. Needless to say I was unimpressed and scared that i almost trusted my families life with them. Try them for yourself if you must but I found it to be a waste of my money and a scary experience.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
That's why we test our carry ammo. It isn;t that Fed. ammo is crap & the cheap gunshow FMJ or RNL are "better". Whenever you go to a JHP, the nose shape & how it hits the fed ramp can vary from pistol to pistol. Test, 50rds min. Your carry/HD ammo should be:
#1 100% reliable
#2 reasonably accurate, for me that's under 2" @ 15yds
#3 worry about the terminal ballistics
IF #1 or #2 don't happen, #3 matters little. A FMJ that hits is better than a JHP that jams. Rem.GoldeSabers have a very fogiving feed profile & are pretty good terminally.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What type of Federal JHP was it specifically? Hy-Shok, HydraShok, HST, other?
+1...this thread needs some additional detail on the ammo and nature of the problem.

What specific ammo were you firing (or attempting to fire I suppose)?

Do you mean Failure to FIRE or Failure to FEED when you say FTF?

Assuming it was a failure to feed, what specifically seemed to be the failure? Failure to load completely into the chamber? Jam from the feedramp? Etc.?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take a look at the box again but all I gathered from it was it was a silver box that said Federal JHP. I was having failure to feed problems sorry for not clearing that up. After I would take a shot the slide would just lock back most of the way as if out of ammo. Each of the 10 times this occurred I just racked the slide back and released it and fired away. It was as if the bullet was getting jammed on the way to the chamber and locking my gun up. I was just overall unimpressed with a 20% failure rate and will never again purchase this product. I will get more details off of the box as to an exact model when I get a chance.

+4546464 on testing carry ammo!!!!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
185 gr is very light weight bullet for a .45 ACP.

Light bullets are generally shorter over all and those particular JHP's have a very large cavity.

I'm not surprised you have feeding problems with it.

Try a 230 gr JHP and see how they feed.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was the other ammo I was testing. It is a Georgia Arms 185 grain gold dot JHP. Shot 2 mags of these and I was impressed so they are my new SD ammunition. Possibly it was the 185 grain being the problem. I shoot 185 grain WWB all day everyday so I suppose I should just stick to 230 grain for target and SD purposes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts