Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not competing. I'm not placing it on the nightstand. I just have the feeling to own a 1911......like a good ol' red blooded American. ;) With that being said I want a fair shooter to have fun with at the range that doesn't have to be tended to like a 3 year old. What are my options under 1k?

These are already in the stable so I'm definitely not manufacturer specific

XD 45 4" - 1st love and will never get rid of BTW!!!
SP101 2.25"
M&P 9c
Beretta M9

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
128,000 Posts
^ Good suggestion.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
At under a grand the RO is a pretty tough gun to beat. A SA Loaded can also be had for under a grand, as can several Sig 1911's and SW 1911's, all excellent choices. You can even sometimes find a Colt under a grand.

Any of those would serve you well, pick the one you like the most.

If it were my first 1911 I'd probably go with the Loaded stainless vs the RO just because I'm not a huge parkerized fan.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm in the same position as the OP and one other model that has been suggested to me was the Kimber Custom II. It currently runs ~$850-900 at my LGS (southern CA prices). How does this brand compare to the others suggested so far?

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I'm in the same position as the OP and one other model that has been suggested to me was the Kimber Custom II. It currently runs ~$850-900 at my LGS (southern CA prices). How does this brand compare to the others suggested so far?
I would pass on the Kimber. They have a reputation of being a crapshoot for quality and they have a very poor resale. I know people who love them but I'd still pass, I think you'll do better with others.

·
Registered
302 Posts
At under a grand the RO is a pretty tough gun to beat. A SA Loaded can also be had for under a grand, as can several Sig 1911's and SW 1911's, all excellent choices. You can even sometimes find a Colt under a grand.

If it were my first 1911 I'd probably go with the Loaded stainless vs the RO just because I'm not a huge parkerized fan.
The SA loaded stainless is my first 1911. I picked it up off Gun Broker from those penny auction people for $700. After all was said and done (SH, FFL fee) it cost me $750.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I was almost exact same situation as you. Budget. Expectations. Just bought a Springfield RO. For $750 out the door. Gives me change to add VZ operator 2 grips in hyena and smith and Alexander magwell. Few extra Wilson mags and still be under $1000

I can't believe I waited this long. From the reviews and from shooting a Rented RO it was more than I expected.

Join the addiction. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

I think this is your best answer! Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

I will add, that while some have had bad luck with Kimber. I have had really good luck. All of them have been tack drivers and 100% reliable fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was almost exact same situation as you. Budget. Expectations. Just bought a Springfield RO. For $750 out the door. Gives me change to add VZ operator 2 grips in hyena and smith and Alexander magwell. Few extra Wilson mags and still be under $1000

I can't believe I waited this long. From the reviews and from shooting a Rented RO it was more than I expected.

Join the addiction. :)
Saw some pics of that one today before my post.......Sweet!!!!!

Thanks everyone else!!!!!!!!!!

J Wett

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, one more problem..........just looked at the RO. I'm left handed and would really like to have an ambi-safety. Anyone with experience on ambi-safety 1911's or have one installed??????

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I want a Range Officer too but it's hard to argue against the Rocks. Especially for a first timer.

Snag one with the VZ's and fiber optic front if you go that route.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
RIA's are nice 1911's and a great bargain, you can find tactical 2 with all the goodies for around 600. But, since your budget is higher I'd go with an SA before the RIA.

Buds has a Loaded Target with adjustable sights and and ambi safety for under 900. Or if you don't want the Target model you can be just over 800, again with ambi safeties.

You can add the ambi safety later but why? A good set isn't cheap and you need to know what you're doing or have a smith do it. Spend a little more and go from the RO to the Loaded.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Can't argue that either.

I'd be comfortable buying a used loaded as well, SA will likely take care of it if someone bubba'd it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts