Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back I posted about having to make a choice between and 4'' Rock Island Armory 1911 and a 5'' Taurus PT1911.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/175103-need-1911-advice.html

Must say, I liked them both. The Taurus shot well, and was fairly light. The Rock was a litttle heavier, but shot better than the Taurus.

The Rock also came with CT Lasergrips, much to my surprise. Dad said he was too lazy to take them off, so I could just keep them. SWEET :D

Without the laser on I was able to put 5rds in 1 1/2'' at 15yds; with the laser I put 5rds into less than an inch at 15yds. Ammo was WWB 230gr.

The Taurus put 5rds into right around 2'' at 15yds.

In the end I went with the Rock... Strong, simple workhorse. This is my first 1911, but will not be my last. Next up will either be a springer loaded or SR1911.

A few add-ons in the future will include a commander hammer and beavertail safety, and a crossbreed supertuck to ride in.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
grats on the 4in i have one and love mine a true work horse
What all mods have you made utilizing what brand of parts? Beavertail, hammer, etc? I can see some but not all

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
no mods at all the F.S was used i left is as such it has 5k in the pipe.
the 4in i got used from a lady that runs the range i go to it has the beaver tail, and
a trigger job with a adj trigger and it has over 4500 rds in it.
The tac is about 3mos old with about 300rds in it i am going to run 200 plus in it
on sat to finish the break in. the only things that i have done was replace all the
springs with wolf,except the msh springs

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love 1911's but you couldn't give me a Rock Island. There's a reason their 1911's are $500 and pretty much every other 1911 (SA, Colt, Kimber) is atleast $1000 or more. I'm a true believer in you get what you pay for and since I could never drop $1000 on a pistol, I shall never own one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would say the fact that they don't buy the back cover, inside front cover and 4 other full page ads in every gun magazine you pick up *cough Kimber cough* might be one reason they are so cheap. The overwhelming positive feedback on their 1911's is very hard to dismiss, and I can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love 1911's but you couldn't give me a Rock Island. There's a reason their 1911's are $500 and pretty much every other 1911 (SA, Colt, Kimber) is atleast $1000 or more. I'm a true believer in you get what you pay for and since I could never drop $1000 on a pistol, I shall never own one. Just my 2 cents.
That's okay because no one would every want to give you a Rock because we love them so much.

·
Registered
946 Posts

This made me laff.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts

What an ignorant statement and not even worth the .02 posted..

The RIA is a perfect 1911 starter pistol.
The tactical version is one of the best handgun values available today.
Being a bare bones type of pistol, it lets a buyer upgrade and modify it to their own preference, and not be limited to what Kimber or SA puts on their more expensive guns.
You might want an Ed brown saftey, a Fusion trigger group, a 10-8 rear sight, a Dawson front sight, an STI bushing, VZ grips, the options are endless.
To someone new to a little gunsmithing and wanting to learn, the RIA is a perfect place to start.
The 1911 platform in one of the easiest pistols to take apart and reassemble.
There is a lot to be said on working on your own guns and seeing/utilizing the results from it.
My RIA is just as reliable and accurate as my Kimber that costs twice as much.
BTW there are many 1911 pistols (even Kimber) for under $1K.

Would I take an Ed Brown Kobra Carry over an RIA, sure.
But for $2K less I'll start with an RIA..
I'd rather spend $450 and try the 1911 platform out before I drop $2500 on an Ed Brown and realize that single action may not work for me..

Being that you don't even own a 1911 and say you'll never buy one, you sure have a strong opinion on a gun you've never owned..:roll:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Well if that's your opinion then sorry you won't have the opportunity to get a 1911. Me, I'll continue to immensely enjoy my379.00 RIA GI that has over 7300 flawless rnds through it as it continues to be my edc gun.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Oh and to the OP congrats on the new 1911! Try to get a pic iPod it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Don't worry... You wont ever get mine.

My dad has a Springer worth over $2k. He doesnt carry it everyday. He carries an old 1911 that was made in 1932 for the Argentine Air Force. He's put a beavertail safety and a commander hammer on it; that's it. Its old and beat up. It's 79 years old. But he'll out shoot you blindfolded with that damn thing. His cost? Less that 5 bills.

I can out shoot you with my XD45 4''. I practice damn near everyday with it using snap caps and shoot it regularly. Am I bragging? No. Because by your own admission you dont own a pistol.

I dont have the means to buy a $1k + pistol. But I do have the common sense and the ability to defend my family to the best of my ability.

For everyone else.... Pics will be up momentarily.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Pictures

The knife is a Camillus that was made in 1965; was carried by a friend of mine in Vietnam who recently passed. It went with me to Afghanistan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127,399 Posts
I will be picking up my first Rock Saturday! :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nothing wrong with the RIA, Taurus, or Ruger 1911's. You get a good gun for a good price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
:confused: what makes you think a RIA is not a good pistol? the price?? My Rock Island has functioned flawlessly so far with almost 2000 rds through it, shoots to point of aim and it is noticably more accurate than my buddys kimber tle not to mention his kimber has already had several ftf /fte with the same various mags, and same various ammo...now I love my SA too but it is more than twice the cost. Colt is great but overpriced imo due to its name.

Speaking of 1911s well under $1000, I also have the new Ruger SR1911, which is definitely the next best buy after the RIA...and i'd put up my SR1911 against any kimber "custom pro shop" all day long build-wise...only shot 300 rds through her so far though so can't speak on reliability of it yet, but so far so good:)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Nothing wrong with RIA as far as I've read. I wouldn't mind having one at all. Post some bigger pics dude. Looks like a nice one. CTGrips are a real bonus. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about the small pics; I was in a hurry. The wife was starving :rolleyes:
LOL, I'll try to post some bigger ones before the end of this evening.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Almost died from laughter when I read the above quote.
As you can clearly see by what others have posted. You have no idea what your missing out on. That my friend is your loss. I can tell you straight out my Rock is alot more fun to shoot than my S/A 1911 Champion. It has a better trigger and is every bit as accurate and is not picky with what ammo you feed it. It's been flawless and less than 1/2 the price of the S/A.

It's also one of those guns that you don't have to worry if it gets a little scratch on it like some of those $1000 plus safe queen pistol your talking about. A scratch on a Rock just gives it more character.

Anybody else who thinks they need to spend $1000+ to enjoy the fun of owning and shooting a 1911 is seriously being mislead. There are a lot of very good 1911's out there for a lot less than a $1000. And the Rock is clearly one of them. If Ruger ever decides to make there 1911 in a parkerized version I might be looking at one of them also.They can be had for somewhere between $600 & $700 range and from what I'm hearing are flying off the shelves.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts