Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one out there have a problem with there firing pin status indicator breaking XD-9 service model???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you still shoot the gun if the firing pin indicator is broken? My XD40 pin broke off on the line I drew on this photo. Thanks for your help. Xray

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
(Whooaa! didn't know the indicator pin was that long :shock: )

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep... size matters.

It's quite a ways from the back of the firing pin to the hole in the rear of the slide. As long as the indicator pin doesn't break off inside the channel and prevent the pistol from functioning you're fine without it until it's replaced.

While the status indicator (along with the loaded chanber indicator) are GREAT features, there is no substitute for safe gun-handling... do not rely on any lever, indicator, etc. to tell you if a firearm is unloaded or not cocked. Life has a way of surprising you.

That being said I LOVE the fact that I can verify that my XD is cocked with a round in the chamber - even in complete darkness... if you have one for home defense it's a great confidence check when things go bump in the night.

Unload and show clear...

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Yes, the gun will still fire with a broken indicator pin. You just loose that visual safety that it offers. I would get it fixed, to be on the safe side.

Scott

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It is probably the easiest thing to change/fix. Beyond that, if you fix the pin you may as well remove the firing pin, making sure if is clean and not full of gunk.

OS

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Or just see the important stuff on AJames' site....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Guys, it took a few phone calls but Springfield did send me a new Firing pin indicator free of charge. I did shoot the gun with the broken indicator and it functioned perfectly. Have the new one in now. good as new. Now I just need one of Don's Fat guide rods for my XD45 Tacticle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts