Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question about my XD-40 I noticed on the spent casing that the firing pin doesn't strike the primer striaght it actualy makes a push downward and then a pin mark. Does anyone's XD do the same? Not sure if I should be conserned about it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, my XD45LE does that as well. I just looked at my spent casings and sure enough it looks like something pushed it down and then the firing pin struck the primer. I don't know if it is or isn't someting to worry about. But I thought I would let you know I am having the same problems.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The pin is striking the primer straight, and the slide is retracting and dropping the brass down a bit while the pin is still in contact thus smearing the mark. It is a normal thing with a striker fired pistol. :D

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Don said:
The pin is striking the primer straight, and the slide is retracting and dropping the brass down a bit while the pin is still in contact thus smearing the mark. It is a normal thing with a striker fired pistol. :D
Yep both of mine do :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
yup same thing here

·
Registered
595 Posts
Definitely a striker fired normal occurence. One of my XD service 9's creates a pinpoint mark with a slight elongation on the primer. My Sig P228 extracts a shell that has a retangle shaped mark on the primer. Funny thing, one time I was watching a television episode of either NCIS of CSI and they made a remark about knowing that a murder weapon had to be a Sig, due to the telltale primer strike on the shell casing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same thing happened to my XDSC-40 too.
I used winchester 165 FMJ target bullet, picked up some spent case and compared to the Quality Control one come with the gun package, same striker marked. Not a clean striker dent a dot mark, but a dot with a little tail.
Wonder if that will weaken the striker and shorten the life of the striker or not?
Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My XD and P99 both do it.

I think it's called firing pin drag, and since the firing pin is made of steel, and the casing is of brass, I think it'll be okay.

-stunks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts