Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I'm new to the world of firearms. My XD-9 Service finally comes off of the 11 day waiting period in a week.

The question I have for all and sundry is thus: How long (in years or rounds) should I expect a gun to last? I'm sure that like any other mechanical thing, wear will eventually take it's toll, and the gun will decline into uselessness. My question is when? If I'm putting 10k through the thing every year, should I expect it to last two years? Five? Ten? Until my daughter hands it down to her kids?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a good question. I wish ToddG from Pistol Training would put one to the test like he has done with the M&P, HK45, HKP30 and most recently he's doing with the Glock gen4.

pistol-training.com » Range Reports

I know someone did a Torture Test a few years ago and if I remember correctly he put 20,000 rounds through one regular XD. I think the info was removed cause I can't find it anymore.

·
Registered
463 Posts
well it depends on the ammo you shoot, how you shoot it and how often you clean it.

if you shoot "hot" loads(rounds with extra powder to make them hit faster and harder) you can expect it to wear out much quicker than with standard store bought ammo. your springs will wear out and even stand the chance of damaging the chamber and magazine.

if you are shooting entire magazines inside of 10 seconds and doing it in rapid succession (for instance, blowing through 100 rounds of ammo in 5 minutes) you will be forcing your gun to operate under the additional stress of extreme heat (heat makes metal expand and become more maliable), you'll mess up the rifling in your barrel(decreasing accuracy), damage your chamber (increasing your chance of a KaBoom moment), damage firing pins, wearing out springs etc.
failure to clean and lube regularly(in extreme cases) can cause friction to the point that it will strip the protective coating off the gun making it more susceptible to rust,

my general guidelines for minimum gun care is to clean it once every 200-400 rounds, replace the recoil springs every 5,000-10,000 rounds and avoid hot loads wherever possible. and dont go shooting like you're in a john woo film and in my own opinion you should be able to hand it down to your daughter. shooting 10k a year is pretty steep but I'd give it 20+ years with proper care

Reactions: bigx5murf

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Doesn't SA state, "Lifetime". Am sure there has got to be some fine print in there somewhere about neglect and abuse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
odds of shooting 10k rounds out of a gun a year are not good........most gun owners wont shoot 10k rounds in their entire lifetime! if you can afford 10k rounds per year, i doubt you'll be worrying about passing this one gun down...you'll be able to afford many others!

·
Registered
892 Posts
And what would the cost be to shoot 10K rounds in a year? Going by the lowest price for 9mm ammo I could find it would be $1,700-1,900.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
If you are the original owner, the XD has a lifetime warranty. That means it is covered until you sell it or gift it to a new owner.

So, if your kid is 2 yrs old, you plan on gifting it to her when she's 21 and you shoot 10,000 rounds every year, it is guaranteed to be in working order for those 190,000 rounds.

Make sense?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
10 K rounds a year from one pistol is a lot of rounds. If you do shoot that much I say a properly maintained XD shooting target loads will last a very long time. As far as handing it down to the kids, they'll probably be using laser guns by then and bullets will be a thing of the past and that XD will be like an old dinsaur.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
10 K rounds a year from one pistol is a lot of rounds. If you do shoot that much I say a properly maintained XD shooting target loads will last a very long time. As far as handing it down to the kids, they'll probably be using laser guns by then and bullets will be a thing of the past and that XD will be like an old dinsaur.
You must expect some huge advances in energy storage in the next 20 or so years.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You must expect some huge advances in energy storage in the next 20 or so years.
One could only guess what the next 20/30 years may bring. Look back 20 /30 years ago and compare it to today. I don't really think technology is going to slow down any. If anything it's going to go faster. Sad part is a lot of people are going to get left behind in it's wake.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
One could only guess what the next 20/30 years may bring. Look back 20 /30 years ago and compare it to today. I don't really think technology is going to slow down any. If anything it's going to go faster. Sad part is a lot of people are going to get left behind in it's wake.

Yeah, 25 years ago the M16 and that old fashion 5.56 mm round was STILL popular and even then it was 25+ years old!

As far as firearms life --> they will outlast you AND your kids if treated with care and respect. The plastics used on the original M16's (which is similar but not as good as the modern versions) is still fully functional. I have no doubt that the modern stuff will last and last and last. Just keep it clean and correctly lubed.

I have old Colt pistols that were new in the 1920's and 1940's --only changed springs and they are still 100% functional.
Have old mil surp commie pistol from the 1950's that has an excellent trigger and is one of the more accurate shooters.
Even have a "pin fire" double gun from the 1850's that is tighter and smoother than any production gun you can find today.
And a model 1798 musket -- but it sat too long and I wouldn't trust it!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

Energy storage technology (batteries) have been gaining about 1-2% per year over the past 20-30 years.

Lasers with enough power to actually substitute for bullets require HUGE amounts of energy delivered in a very short time.

It's possible right now to create a man portable laser with that kind of power. Better be a big guy though as you are going to carry a one shot system that weighs around 70-80 lbs.

The other problem with high power lasers is that you need to cool the lenses between firings. This also eats up a huge amount of power.

A multiple shot laser capable of man stopping/killing power is very far into the future. Unless Shipstones somehow show up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
didn't read all the posts, but I would like to know what you mean by "last"
do you mean how many rounds without ever having a failure of any type?
do you mean how many rounds before you wear something out? Its a machine, you can eventually wear something out.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Time will tell.
Buckle your seat belts and hope we keep open minds and don't fall behind in the technology wars
I love my M1 rifle, it a great old piece of American history that is a blast to shoot and always draws a crowd. As a matter of fact I just shot 16 rounds through it yesterday. Would I want to go the war with it today? Hell no I'd take my Mini 14 first, but by todays standards that's old technoloy to that still works but is certainly not the best choice.
Bullets themselves may fall in that same catagory one day. Who knows,one can only guess. Should be fun to watch.;)

Getting back to the OP. Like I said if you take care of and maintain it properly, it will last a long time, it's a good reliable gun.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have a Sig P229 with an unknown number of rounds through it but its a bunch! The frame to slide fit and barrel lockup are starting to get some extra play in them, not alot but its definately got some wear. I'll probably just toss in a new barrel and keep shooting it. I purchased it for shooting USPSA years ago and Im sure it has at least 20,000 rounds through it by now. I never treated it nicely, its was a shooter/woods gun from day one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First: 10,000 rounds per year doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to me. I don't think I will actually reach that number, but if a trip to the range eats about 200 rounds (fairly typical of my experience,) and one trip a week doesn't seem like too much for a serious shooter. "Serious shooters" would probably also have more than one handgun, true, but the 10k number was nice and round.
Second: I would consider a handgun worn out when either A: getting a new one would be cheaper than repairing the old one or B: repairs offset against the cost of a new gun would make the step-up reasonable.
Example (A): $700 for a new doodad? I can get the new 2019 model year XDx for $575! To the trash with you!
Example (B): $300 for a new barrel, and the trigger is crapping out, and the slide rattles too much. If I sell this one as-is, I could only be out $25 more on a new gun. Yeah, it's time to pull that trigger.
Third: feeding the threadjack: battery/energy storage technology does improve over time, but it will be a very long time before there is a technology more effective than putting high speed mass though vital organs. I would expect that we will have off-world colonies before we have manpack combat lasers of any utility much less laser pistols. /scifigeek

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
4 boxes of 9mm a week is 35-50 bucks. Not an outrageous amount. Per year thats
1750-2500 per year. You would probably need a new set of springs every year, for 25-30 bucks. Maybe replace mag springs then too for an additional 25-30 depending on how many mags you have. Then every 10 years a new barrel for about 120-200 bucks. After 25 years of that, the gun may indeed be worn out.

So a gun that costs 500 and lasts for 25 years of 10k rounds / year would cost you
1250-1500 in springs
300-500 for barrels
43750-62,500 for ammo.

That's in today's real dollars. Given the trends in ammo prices, it could easily be 400,000 or more in actual spent dollars. Maybe time to invest in ammo!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts