Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well my girlfriend decided we wanted to have a garage sale ALL weekend. Boredom ensues.

This idea just popped into my head to have a little lightweight fire starting kit. I peeled some poplar tree bark, shaved some tinder off an old branch and rolled it up. its nice because the tinder is held in there and doesn't shake out.

I just feel like it's missing something. Any suggestions for improvement? Thanks

·
Registered
8,708 Posts

Well my girlfriend decided we wanted to have a garage sale ALL weekend. Boredom ensues.

This idea just popped into my head to have a little lightweight fire starting kit. I peeled some poplar tree bark, shaved some tinder off an old branch and rolled it up. its nice because the tinder is held in there and doesn't shake out.

I just feel like it's missing something. Any suggestions for improvement? Thanks
Assumming you have poplar trees....expired TP rolls work well too....
not to mention sawdust.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah maybe if you took a tp roll, filled out with saw dust and other things. Then you could tape the ends shut so the sawdust can't fall out.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Yeah maybe if you took a tp roll, filled out with saw dust and other things. Then you could tape the ends shut so the sawdust can't fall out.
Better yet, crimp one end shut, fill it with sawdust or dryer lint.....believe it or not dryer lint is flammable as heck!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some stockpiled in my camping bag. Maybe I'll shove some of that in there

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Cut a TP roll. Wipe the inside with Vasaline and fill with cottenballs that have been pulled apart. Wrap it tight to hold everything with blue tape and a strike anywhere match and its gtg...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Better yet, crimp one end shut, fill it with sawdust or dryer lint.....believe it or not dryer lint is flammable as heck!

Cotton drier lint synthetics not so good sometimes.
I keep up on my fire starting skills every time I BBQ. I don't use Boy Scout juice or any other starters. I have been trying different methods of fire starting ie lint,twigs,paper etc. I still use matches for now but plan to start trying it with my striker for practice. I figure why not use the times to "test" a few ideas so IF I ever need um Ill know what works the best. Plus it is fun to try different ideas.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Dryer lint starts many fires in homes ,every year.
If your dryer is warm and your clothes are not drying check your exhaust vent and flex
hose to see if they are packed with lint.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is exactly why I know it makes a good fire starter

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
coconut husk is the go to for tinder here

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Excellent proof of concept OP...ideas like that are never wasted effort...improvements can always be thought up but knowing it will work in its current form is pretty sweet...

Personally, I have 4 different ways to make fire in my supply cache--ferro rod, fire piston, lighters, matches--for tinder I have vacuum sealed newspaper with cardboard inserts, dryer lint (as suggsted) and also invested in some commercial firestarters...

Your idea is an excellent addition to that since it is all natural and recurring!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent proof of concept OP...ideas like that are never wasted effort...improvements can always be thought up but knowing it will work in its current form is pretty sweet...

Personally, I have 4 different ways to make fire in my supply cache--ferro rod, fire piston, lighters, matches--for tinder I have vacuum sealed newspaper with cardboard inserts, dryer lint (as suggsted) and also invested in some commercial firestarters...

Your idea is an excellent addition to that since it is all natural and recurring!
Well thank you sir. It just came to me out of nowhere.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I keep the above fire tools, (minus the piston). the piston aint worth the hassle. I prefer a sparker wheel, very low cost at Amazon. I also keep a magnifying glass, steel wool, and a bit of insulated wire. A AA battery from my light will start fire with steel wool and the wire. You'd have to put the bark inside of a plastic bag, with rice or a dessicant, to keep it dry. I prefer my vasolined cotton balls, for reduced bulk and weight, and having the vasoline for use on foot "hot spots",

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Take strike anywhere matches and dip them in wax. Make them waterproof and when you need it just rub the wax off into your fire started and light the match

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I've always used cotton balls covered in Vaseline crammed in an old film container for safe keeping. 1 ball usually burns for 3-5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
That's a good container idea
Was shown that in hunter safety class when I was 11-12 ish when film cameras were the norm and empty canisters were a plenty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts