Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
All around decent ammo - but after all, for Range (target) ammo, how decent does it have to be, as long as it’s safe?

They actually make a decent defense ammo too (don’t recall the exact version - but I’m sure it’s discoverable on You Tube).

ETA: It’s their Extrema line, loaded with XTP -HP (proudly made in the USA) - at least my 45XTP were - that’s what the box says.

From a Google search: “Fiocchi was founded in 1876 in Lecco, Italy, and has been producing high-quality ammunition ever since. The tradition continues at Fiocchi's Ozark, Missouri and Little Rock, Arkansas facilities - right in the heart of America.”

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal. I read the reviews and seems there were some bad batches years ago. Good to know things have gotten better. Is it clean shooting?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
It can happen to the best of ‘em. Here’s a current recall from Winchester of the very type ammo you bought: 9mm, 115-gr, FMJ.

I archived this article from the current monthly issue of NRA’s ‘American Rifleman’:
https://archive.ph/f2OSC

I just scanned it quickly but if I understood it correctly, it wasn’t due to being over charged; but recalled for being under charged and the possibility of producing squibs.

“Ammunition purchased before March 25, 2021, is not subject to the recall.” Otherwise, you had better check your lot numbers

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
^ Exactly - pretty much all range-fodder is just range fodder, and none of the makes have a perfect track-record.

Really what's important is that the manufacturer makes-right, should an untoward event occur - as well as should the shooter submit defective cartridges for refund.

I've really only used about 5K rounds of this over the years, so I don't have a very large sampling. From what I've had, I don't remember any mis-shapen bullets or any defects of the cases. FTFire in either my 4.5-inch or my 3.8 Compact was definitely not anything that I'd consider out of the ordinary, or I am sure I would have logged it. I don't believe I'd used any in low-light training, so I can't really speak of how things might look there, but in daylight, I did not notice excessive smoke or blast.

Similar to function, I did not note anything in terms of external ballistics, so I would imagine that it did not catch my attention for being outside of norms. I typically test with the 10-10-10 and shot for accuracy/precision on B8s at the 25 yard line, with a far-end benchmark of my old Tac Strike Quarter-Scales at the 50, 75, and 100 yard lines. It's far from bullseye levels of competency (and I'd be lying if I said that I was a bullseye-level shooter), but these have been consistent benchmarks for me, and the Fiocchi was par-for-course.

Before you purchase any ammo in-bulk, though, be sure to vet a box or two for function and performance in your unique firearm (i.e. the one with that unique serial number on it). There always exists the possibility of strange and unpredictable tolerance-stacking, and you don't want to buy a whole case of 1K only to have it either frequently fail-to-function your firearm or to perform poorly in terms of external ballistics.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I bought some of this for the range. Is this stuff decent? Gun is the xd compact 3in barrel. Thanks.

That is actually my preferred range ammo. Used to be cheap (inexpensive). But it is one of the cleaner and more reliable practice ammos that I have used. Also, I like how compact the 50 round boxes are compared to other brands. Federal American Eagle is another good one, but usually costs more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is actually my preferred range ammo. Used to be cheap (inexpensive). But it is one of the cleaner and more reliable practice ammos that I have used. Also, I like how compact the 50 round boxes are compared to other brands. Federal American Eagle is another good one, but usually costs more.
Awesome thanks a lot sir! Appreciate all the responses. I'll make this my range ammo.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My range ammo tends to be whatever ball ammo I can find inexpensive at the time. For pistol practice - I’m no Bullseye shooter - I’ve discovered my accuracy (or lack thereof) is a lot more determined by me than variables in the ammo I shoot.

I do shoot enough higher dollar “defensive” ammo to insure it feeds well through whatever home or self defense firearm I’m testing it with. That’s just being prudent to insure there’s no obviously overlooked incompatibilities.

While I prefer brass, I’ve shot plenty of Russian steel cased ammo too - and never encountered any issues (Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear). It tends to be a bit more dirty but since I clean after any extended range sessions, that never bothered me. (I typically shoot on my own land, so range sessions can be rather extended from time-to time). With the current Russian import restrictions, the price difference isn’t as great as it was a few years ago, so if brass is just a couple cents more per round, I’ll usually opt for it. JMHO - YMMV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rock on! Looking forward to testing out some good self defense ammo! I'll keep an eye out for some. Idk what ill get though lol. Zombie land is coming

·
Registered
I can't possibly list them.
20 Posts
I bought some of this for the range. Is this stuff decent? Gun is the xd compact 3in barrel. Thanks.

My experience with it has been pretty good. Good enough that I still buy it from Academy online when they are offering it.

Another I've shots great groups with at 20 and 25 yards is Blazer Brass. It's usually very close to and often the same price from Academy.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My experience with it has been pretty good. Good enough that I still buy it from Academy online when they are offering it.

Another I've shots great groups with at 20 and 25 yards is Blazer Brass. It's usually very close to and often the same price from Academy.
Great to hear! I'm all for an accurate round. I'll put them to use for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I actually considered keeping some to carry good to know I am not the only one.

Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot both make 115 gr. and 124 gr. jacketed hollow point rounds. Unless I'm shelling out for Speer Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Defense, I use the 124 gr. JHP to carry.

Reactions: SnowCamo
1 - 20 of 26 Posts