Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I don't know if they offer Parkerizing but it's my favorite on steel, it just drinks up oil forever it seems, plus I like the look.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Parkerized =least durable
Blued
nickel
chrome
stainless = hardest

are durability in my opinion

my favorite would be stainless, then nickel, then chrome

·
Registered
165 Posts
Black T is the way to go, but go directly through Birdsong and Assoc. instead of Springfield. It's much cheaper that way.

The finish absolutely won't rust and it's self lubricating. It's so good the navy uses it on ship parts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Black T is the way to go, but go directly through Birdsong and Assoc. instead of Springfield. It's much cheaper that way.

The finish absolutely won't rust and it's self lubricating. It's so good the navy uses it on ship parts.
+1 It is all that it is cracked up to be and then some.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum JayEndo.
If you're talking an XD pistol, it depends on what color slide you want to end up with.
I'd do nickel or hard chrome if you want it silver..
I'd say ion-bond or black T if you want it black.
I'd say let SACS do it if you want to retain your warranty.

I'm going to have my EMP frame and parts hard chromed by the SACS.
I'm leaving the slide as is.
I'd almost rather have someone else do it, but I want to retain the SA warranty.
I'm also going to have them round the grip butt (like I did on my Kimber CDP Ultra).
Also going to have them undercut the trigger guard for a higher grip on the EMP.

And while we are talking about finishes, I'm also sending SACS my RIA Tactical to refinish in matte black Armory Kote.
I sent them an email asking if they did other manufacturer's firearms and they said 'yes'.

So off all this goes in the next week or two...;)

This is a link to the SACS pdf custom worksheet price list and what they do.
Just click on the custom worksheet for 1911 or XD/Xm link to download the pdf.

Springfield Armory

I had an XD9sc done (by someone else) in hard chrome and it was perfect..
But I did sell it anyway..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice looking gun..exactly what I want to do!

Welcome to the forum JayEndo.
If you're talking an XD pistol, it depends on what color slide you want to end up with.
I'd do nickel or hard chrome if you want it silver..
I'd say ion-bond or black T if you want it black.
I'd say let SACS do it if you want to retain your warranty.

I'm going to have my EMP frame and parts hard chromed by the SACS.
I'm leaving the slide as is.
I'd almost rather have someone else do it, but I want to retain the SA warranty.
I'm also going to have them round the grip butt (like I did on my Kimber CDP Ultra).
Also going to have them undercut the trigger guard for a higher grip on the EMP.

And while we are talking about finishes, I'm also sending SACS my RIA Tactical to refinish in matte black Armory Kote.
I sent them an email asking if they did other manufacturer's firearms and they said 'yes'.

So off all this goes in the next week or two...;)

This is a link to the SACS pdf custom worksheet price list and what they do.
Just click on the custom worksheet for 1911 or XD/Xm link to download the pdf.

Springfield Armory

I had an XD9sc done (by someone else) in hard chrome and it was perfect..
But I did sell it anyway..

·
Registered
165 Posts
XD40 SC in Black-T

XD9 Service with Black-T and Grey tiger stripes.

All the internals are done as well. To clean them I run everything except the barrel under the garden hose. The barrel I clean as usual with a oil and a patch. I don't spend much time drying them off. I also have an LCP I run with in a belly band. I sweat all over it in 90% humidity and never clean it with anything other than a damp towel. Never had any rust.

http://www.black-t.com/technicalinfo.htm

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hard chrome is what Jeff Cooper used on his favorite 1911 with the famous grips so that's a pretty good endorsement there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was gonna look into a local shop to have it done.... SA is probably the best bet but having it chromed would cost me 215.00 ..... a little pricey for a gun i paid 450 for.... Plus I think the SC would look nice with just the barrel, trigger and maybe the clip and slide release done chrome as opposed to "all metal parts" as SA offers.... any suggestions? has any one done this?

Also I carry my xd9sc on a daily basis.... in a "inside the pants holster" , so it definitely is subject to sweat.... do I have to worry about rust? should I consider refinishing all metal parts? and is 215.00 outrageous?

appreciate any help offered

1 - 11 of 11 Posts