Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not that great, is it?

I've had my gun for 2 days now, and I can see some wear/scratching on the upper end near the side... Who knows what from.. Never seen the inside of anything but the stock POS holster, the case, and the desk.

Nothing large on it, but still.. I'd hate to see what this thing looks like after it's banged around on the table at the range lanes, and then pulled in and out and carried daily, and slung around in the truck.

Any other re-finishers out there, that aren't super expensive that offer a much nice and lasting finish for these rigs? I'm not impressed with the finish, and so far, it's my only complaint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Black or SS? Mine's black and I've done drawn it a couple hundred times with no signs of wear? Are you sure it's just not the plastic rubbing off onto the metal? Have you wiped it with some Hoppes?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The black may wear but it shouldn't rust due to the metal treatment. If you are worried about the black, Ionbond is the only black finish that I am aware of that is nearly indestructable.

ranburr

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black finish.. I don't know if maybe I rubbed it on something or what..

I have a few of those pencil lead looking marks on the slide. I just can't see how it's gotten marked up so quickly. Of course, honestly, I'm not super concerned with the way the gun looks, it's going to get worn, and used.

Thanks for the heads up on the finish. I might look into it after this one wears bad enough.

Makes me wonder if I was better off with the SS.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wipe it down with a silicon cloth and see if the marks come out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Scott Springer has some ION bond coating and it's VERY good acording to quite a few post I have read. Besides I trust Scott 100%

·
Registered
174 Posts
Must just be an issue with the black ones. I've been carrying my Bi-Tone daily for about 2 months now in various holsters(I also have about 400 rounds through it) and there isn't a mark anywhere on mine. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the black and I've put350rds in it and like any newbie I've taken it in and out of the holster atleast200 times and I'm not showing anywear. when I firts bought it I did out it in my pants to see how it would conceal and the finish did get scratched and I was pissed the guy at the shop just wiped it down and now you would never tell there was a scratch

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ron,

I believe you nailed it on the head... I do remember dry fitting a "mexican carry" and putting it in my waistband to see how it would conceal, or get an idea anyways.

I'm wondering if the slide rubbed on a rivet in the jeans.. It's a faint scratch, I'm assuming with the right rag and solution I could get and keep the finish nicer.

Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Noticed the same thing with my XDm .40 before I even got to shoot it. Tried it in a Bianchi leather retention holster that didn't quite fit (not Bianchi's fault, as the holster was not marketed for the XDm), and noticed a slight ~ 1/4" scratch on right side of slide after that. I guess the plastic or something in the retention component must have scratched it.

Kinda ticked me off with the hype SA has made about the melonite finish on the XDm's, but doesn't affect the function.

Alchemist77

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If it is black, it is going to wear. That is just a fact of life. As stated earlier, Ionbond is the longest lasting of any of the black finishes.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Kinda ticked me off with the hype SA has made about the melonite finish on the XDm's, but doesn't affect the function.
Melonite is NOT the finish on the slide. Melonite (like the Glock's Tenifer) is the actual treatment to the steel to give it optimum rust prevention and corrosion protection, as well as enhancing the steel's overall hardness. Then, the parkerized or nitrile finish is put on the slide. You could completely strip and buff the finish off, but the steel will still be protected from the elements, as the Melonite treatment permeates the steel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts