Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished reversing the mag release and installing a LWD 3.5 connector in my new Gen4 G19 and got to looking at the slide finish. It looks very different from that of my Gen4 G17. The 19 slide looks and feels almost like a painted finish and it seems to scratch way too easily compared to my 17. The 17 has been holstered a fair amount and has never scratched but the 19 started to develop them almost immediately after a couple insertions into a SERPA.

Here's a couple pics for comparison.

G19 slide on left, 17 on right:

19 on bottom, 17 on top:

And here are scratches on the 19 from literally 3 insertions into a SERPA just to check fit:

Should I contact Glock? This finish just doesn't look or feel like others I've had/shot (it feels way too smooth and thin) and just seems like it should be tougher than that. I don't mind honest wear, but my experience with my G17 leads me to think it should wear better than this. Appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I've heard these same things but don't know what happened. I have 4 Gen 4 guns and haven't really paid that much attention to their finish.

They're Glocks. ;)

Reactions: GojuBrian

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard these same things but don't know what happened. I have 4 Gen 4 guns and haven't really paid that much attention to their finish.

They're Glocks. ;)
Right. I don't care so much what it looks like, but the fact that they ARE Glocks means they shouldn't scratch that easily. At least you'd think so...

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
The 17 has what I have heard referred to as the frying pan finish. For whatever reason they have gone back to the old school finish which is thinner and more dull.

Most of my Glocks have the frying pan finish except my Gen 2 19 and my gen 3 21SF purchased just a couple of months ago.

Personally I don't really care. They are still melonite or tennifer or whatever it is under the finish. They still shoot the same and wear adds character.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yeah, this is normal (crapy, but normal). My Vickers look like your 19, while my compensated guns look like your 17. I'm not sure what Glock would do for you but it's worth a shot, they are easy to deal with.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You didn't get the frying pan finish. Is your 19 a US gun?

MY gen 4 bas the frying pan finish. My 20 doesn't. 41 does. I have no idea why they differ but I do prefer the frying pan finish. Which I think is the tenifer but who knows.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You didn't get the frying pan finish. Is your 19 a US gun?

MY gen 4 bas the frying pan finish. My 20 doesn't. 41 does. I have no idea why they differ but I do prefer the frying pan finish. Which I think is the tenifer but who knows.
No it is an Austrian made gun. Just seems weird to me that they'd be so inconsistent. I guess it's not really worth screwing around with if this is a common thing and I didn't get a fluke. If it gets too scratched up I can always have it cerokoted or something like that.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
No it is an Austrian made gun. Just seems weird to me that they'd be so inconsistent. I guess it's not really worth screwing around with if this is a common thing and I didn't get a fluke. If it gets too scratched up I can always have it cerokoted or something like that.
There is no rhyme or reason that I can see. I have 4 Glocks test fired in 2014 that are a mix of finishes.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Refinish or look at it with some scratches and holster wear and think "damn that's a good looking pistol"

Love me some holster wear. It's like angood truck with a few dents and mud on it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
If you can see bare metal from the scratches it should definitely go back. I'd be less worried about looks than corrosion.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I called Glock and explained the situation to them. The rep I talked to said it was probably worth sending in to look at. He's going to email me a FedEx shipping label and a form to fill out to send it to GA for them to look at. I figure that if it's not going to cost me anything except time (I have enough other pistols it won't deprive me in any way) why not do it. So we'll see what happens.

Reactions: JoeOU1

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
So I called Glock and explained the situation to them. The rep I talked to said it was probably worth sending in to look at. He's going to email me a FedEx shipping label and a form to fill out to send it to GA for them to look at. I figure that if it's not going to cost me anything except time (I have enough other pistols it won't deprive me in any way) why not do it. So we'll see what happens.
Keep us posted!

Reactions: AirForceAce357

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
If you can see bare metal from the scratches it should definitely go back. I'd be less worried about looks than corrosion.
The black is just a top coat. The metal parts are melonited or tenifered or whatever the process is called before the top coat is applied.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Glock will take care of you.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I'll wager a bet that there isn't an issue with the finish. I have several Glocks, and most of them have the flat smooth coating. I did have a 2011 made G19 with the ultra sweet frying pan finish. I'm pretty sure I could drag it behind the truck and still not scratch it lol. The newer smooth flat finish isn't as scratch resistant, but hey, they're carry guns.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts