Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My summary:
  • Don't be surprised with continued increases in interest rates.
  • This may cause a decline in home prices in most housing markets.
  • This will certainly curtail spending by people who have to service their personal debt (e.g. credit card, car loans) due to rising interest rates.
  • By 2025 things will be "interesting". What will the politicians do when they cannot continue the promises, pensions, and social programs? War as a distraction?

First, this:
Thanks to the “exorbitant privilege” I discussed earlier this month, the US has long had many foreigners willing to buy our debt. Now they are losing interest (forgive the pun) because hedging their currency exposure costs more. There are some complex reasons behind this, relating to swaps and the differentials between the US economy and others, but here’s the bottom line: European and Japanese investors can no longer buy US Treasury debt at a positive rate of return unless they want to take currency risk, which most do not. This is a new development.
Debt Alarm Ringing

Then, a quote:
Bonds are our hole in the Titanic, the band plays on as the ocean pours in.

Then, this with some interesting charts and forecasts.
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/11/interest-paid-on-us-debt-will-pass-medicaid-in-2019-and-defense-in-2023.html

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
The US can actually prints it's way out of debt, but that would be disastrous. Regardless, it is an option we have that other countries lack.

Right now the economy is booming. It won't be booming forever, but I do not think a complete collapse is on its way either.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The US can actually prints it's way out of debt, but that would be disastrous. Regardless, it is an option we have that other countries lack.

Right now the economy is booming. It won't be booming forever, but I do not think a complete collapse is on its way either.
Once the libs give away the farm we will be in for a drastic change.

Fewer jobs
Lower wages
More folks on the govt dole
More govt control of their lives

Which is what they want.

With any luck my time on this rock will be over before the complete implosion of America cause it is coming.

Just look at the results of the election and some of those taht some if us elected. Frightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
That's actually incorrect. See Venezuela for an example as they tried it and made their money worthless. It would cause the value of the dollar to decrease.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
That's actually incorrect. See Venezuela for an example as they tried it and made their money worthless. It would cause the value of the dollar to decrease.
its an option for the US more then Venezuela because our debt is in US dollars, also Venezuela was printing in an attempt to create money, not to eliminate debt.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
its an option for the US more then Venezuela because our debt is in US dollars, also Venezuela was printing in an attempt to create money, not to eliminate debt.
From: Why Can't the Government Just Print More Money to Get Out of Debt?

First of all, the federal government doesn't create money; that's one of the jobs of the Federal Reserve, the nation's central bank.

The Fed tries to influence the supply of money in the economy to promote noninflationary growth. Unless there is an increase in economic activity commensurate with the amount of money that is created, printing money to pay off the debt would make inflation worse. This would be, as the saying goes, "too much money chasing too few goods."

This is actually an excellent explanation (https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/634/economics/the-problem-with-printing-money/):

The reason is that printing more money doesn’t increase economic output in any way – it merely causes inflation.

• Suppose an economy produces £10 million worth of goods; e.g. 1 million books at £10 each. At this time the money supply will be £10 million.
  • If the government doubled the money supply, we would still have 1 million books, but people have more money. Demand for books would rise, and firms would push up prices.
  • The most likely scenario is that if the money supply were doubled, we would have 1 million books sold at £20. The economy is now worth £20 million rather than £10 million. But, the number of goods is exactly the same.
  • We can say that the increase in GDP is a money illusion. – True you have more money, but if everything is more expensive, you are not any better off.
  • In this simple model, printing more money has made goods more expensive, but hasn’t changed the quantity of goods.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Interest rates have to rise, can't have free money forever. Needs to be slow and controlled though.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Once the libs give away the farm we will be in for a drastic change.

Fewer jobs
Lower wages
More folks on the govt dole
More govt control of their lives

Which is what they want.

With any luck my time on this rock will be over before the complete implosion of America cause it is coming.

Just look at the results of the election and some of those taht some if us elected. Frightening.

From what I've read, the housing market has leveled off recently after an extended period of significant ballooning. People have taken out loans with high interest rates in order to purchase these homes. While a little while away, home prices are are expected to deflate a little to match the reduction in demand.

Should sound a lot like the roll up to the 2008 recession. We're due for a correction, but how bad is still TBD.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
From what I've read, the housing market has leveled off recently after an extended period of significant ballooning. People have taken out loans with high interest rates in order to purchase these homes. While a little while away, home prices are are expected to deflate a little to match the reduction in demand.

Should sound a lot like the roll up to the 2008 recession. We're due for a correction, but how bad is still TBD.
Not here in the local market houses are selling days after listing and many at or above listed prices.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts

High interest mortgages? Got mine about 16 months for like 4%

·
Registered
61 Posts
Economy decent.Republicans in office.Histrory says the fleecing of the the people’s money source via the un fed reserve will rise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts