Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first guns and just got into guns. first day taking it to the range and it jammed on me twice. dont know what was the problem. i think it might be the reload ammo i was using or i was limp wristing or its just still new and needs breaking in. only thing i did with it before shooting it was coloring the engraving and i let it sit out disassembled for couple weeks.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Reloaded ammo can certainly be a culprit here. And maybe some limp wristing, if you have not shot before. Give her a good cleaning to make sure there is no excessive grease in your mechanisims. A thin coat of CLP or Tetra's gun grease on all metal to metal contacts. Get some good "factory" ammo. And concentrate on a firm grip. Am more than sure your troubles will be over.

I have put thousands of rounds through my XDsc-40, and not 1 FTanything from day one.

Let us know again how it all turned out.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
"jammed" ? Details please.

Unlike high dollar custom guns, XD's have generous operating clearances right out of the box for high reliability. They don't require a number of rounds to "break in". Certainly, they will become smoother and in many ways better, but you don't need it to enhance operability.

Have you cleaned the weapon after your range run? Take the mags apart too. Poke a sharp pointy object into the hole in the bottom of the mag, then slide the bottom cover to the side. With the mag empty the spring pressure isn't bad. Pay some attention to how the parts come out as they have to go in the same way. It's pretty obvious, but it pays to be attentive.

You may have a hunk of grit in the mag well or hanging from the plastic follower. I just wad up a paper towel and push it through. It's stainless steel and plastic, so you shouldn't use an oil based lube. Use a 100% silicone spray or one that leaves no residue if you feel like spraying something. Fact is, you are just fine running them bone dry, if not BETTER off.

If you weren't already aware -- don't lube the striker. Powder residue will accumulate in the striker channel. It will form a thick sludge like goo that will result in light strike mis-fires eventually. The gun is designed to operate with a dry striker. Again, a 100% silicone or residue free lube if you feel like spraying something. If you have already lubed it with a drop of oil or two, it should have the striker removed and clean the channel and striker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when my cousin was shooting my gun the slide went back and he thought he was done shooting lucky i checked and there were 3 more rounds left. i will update next time i head out to the range

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Check his thumb placement. My buddy did the same thing a couple times till I watched his grip. Didn't take much. His thumb was barely resting on the slide lock. But that's all it took. Changed his grip and problem gone. Now the ftf I had none. I cleaned and lubed it tho it was new the day I went to range. 300 rounds no hiccups. 100 165 grain the 200 180 grain. Winchester ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts