Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally had a chance to get to the range and shoot the little thumper. It shot great, bout 200 rounds of various stuff and not a bobble. I didn't shoot it all that well, was pulling low and left; but I'm quite sure it is just me and my need to practice with it. All in all, I'm very pleased. If a gun isn't 100% reliable, I just can't trust it. I had an lc9 for a while but it would occasionally hang up; it made me sick and it had to go. My edc is a m&p 40 compact but this little 45 fits into my front pocket quite well, it will definitely be sharing edc duty. I have read that some have had some issues with 7 round mags, mine was 100%; perhaps they've worked the kinks out of them.

Surfer

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have had similar good luck with mine as well. About 150 rounds down range and nary a glitch! Mine shot all over the place and didn't seem to be consistent either way. I'm sure it's just me and my lack of practice. My XD40SC is extremely accurate but I have shot it far more than the XDS.
Hope you continue to have good results with yours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My XDs 45 is VERY accurate. I have been able to place 5 shots in one ragged hole, offhand at 10 yards several times. My XDs 9 is not near that accurate.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Congrats on your new XDs .45... keep working on trigger control. Right handed shooters shoot low left because you are anticipating the guns kick, thus dipping the nose when you jerk the trigger pull. Take up trigger slack and then use a nice smooth pull. It will come around...good luck!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congrats on your new XDs .45... keep working on trigger control. Right handed shooters shoot low left because you are anticipating the guns kick, thus dipping the nose when you jerk the trigger pull. Take up trigger slack and then use a nice smooth pull. It will come around...good luck!!
Practicing with Snap-Caps really helped me learning to use a smooth trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
Welcome from GA! Congrats on a great shooter and EDC. This little hand cannon took some getting used to, but now I can shoot very nice groups at 7 yards, and decent groups at 10 yards.

My post recall trigger was heavier than it was pre, but the PRP spring kit brought it back down. Not only do I enjoy carrying it, but I really like taking it to the range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just put another 200 through her. Still 100% on functioning. My groups definitely tightened up a bit, perhaps because I was more confident with the pistol's functioning properly and was more able to relax. Still, of all my pistols, I shoot my xds the worst, but it's coming around. I love it!

Surfer

·
Registered
89 Posts

can you please explain by what you mean to "take up trigger slack" I do find that I tend to shoot low left all to often and just really want to fix it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Throw some rubber talon grips on it and you'll love the feel of it. I haven't shot my XDS .45 since I've put them on, but man oh man do they feel great! Completely changes the feel of the gun.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Another welcome and congrats from Georgia!

·
Registered
230 Posts
can you please explain by what you mean to "take up trigger slack" I do find that I tend to shoot low left all to often and just really want to fix it.

When you first pull the trigger the first ~1/4 inch has almost no resistance - that's the slack. Then there is another `1/4 inch where there is resistance but the striker has not yet released - that's the creep. The creep is probably causing your problem. It is a problem with the xds - not the best trigger, my Glocks are much better.

To shoot the xds well, you need to get a feel for the creep, take that up to just before the striker release while maintaining concentration on your sights, finally still concentrating on the sights, let the trigger break (release the striker). Gripping harder with your weak hand can help you maintain control. Focus on maintaining the relative relation of the front and back sights, not so much on the target. You can practice this by dry firing - saves a lot of ammo expense. When you get to the range, do the same thing, but avoid anticipating the recoil

The xds would be a much better gun if the trigger was crisp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you first pull the trigger the first ~1/4 inch has almost no resistance - that's the slack. Then there is another `1/4 inch where there is resistance but the striker has not yet released - that's the creep. The creep is probably causing your problem. It is a problem with the xds - not the best trigger, my Glocks are much better.

To shoot the xds well, you need to get a feel for the creep, take that up to just before the striker release while maintaining concentration on your sights, finally still concentrating on the sights, let the trigger break (release the striker). Gripping harder with your weak hand can help you maintain control. Focus on maintaining the relative relation of the front and back sights, not so much on the target. You can practice this by dry firing - saves a lot of ammo expense. When you get to the range, do the same thing, but avoid anticipating the recoil

The xds would be a much better gun if the trigger was crisp.
thank you for the further explanation. I will try this, thanks again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my XDS bi-tone .45 at Cabela's on Saturday and took it to the range today.All I can say is WOW, why doesn't everyone own one of these?? I put about 200 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of older carry ammo through it and not one feeding issue. Groups were almost as good as my trusty G23 carry gun, but this was the first time out with the XDS.

The only thing that I don't like about the stock gun is the front sight but I knew that was going to be a problem in low light situations. I'll get a set of Trijicons or similar on it soon. I also picked up a Galco IWB holster for it today.

Overall I love this little hand cannon. Very controllable and as accurate as you are :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats on the XDS!

Everyone here has given great advice.

I like dry firing my XDS (or any other guns) right after I shoot a few rounds. It gives me an idea if I'm jerking the trigger before I squeeze. Keep training and have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts