Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm definitely not afraid of the pistol but I was shooting at the local police range with my buddy and his brother today and wasn't getting good groups or shooting accurately at all. As per a couple suggestions to a previous thread a while back, I was thinking I was being conscious of flinching while I was shooting but I found myself to be wrong.

I finally noticed it when I went to shoot my friend's 32 Mag revolver and flinched even though there wasn't even much recoil at all. So now, I have to work on not flinching and go from there. Towards the end of the day I was really working on breathing while I was shooting which seemed to help but if any of you guys have suggestions, I'd be greatful.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Lots of dry fire is the most efficient way to cure, or at least minimize, flinching. Oops, except we're not supposed to dry fire XDs anymore. Well, buy a couple of extra roll pins and dry fire LOTS, it really helps.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Sometimes people squeeze the entire grip as they shoot like milking a cow. Make sure that your sqeezing the trigger and not the whole grip. s stated though...Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Google printable targets.....you will find a target that the Army uses that will give you instant feedback....ie...slapping the trigger, squeezing or milking and so on, quite helpfull for live fire. Also have your buddy load a mag (so you can't see) with a dummy round somewhere in the lineup, so something like...live live dummy live live live dummy...get it?

·
Registered
678 Posts
This has been asked before and I don't recall the outcome (perhaps the problemee's existence is still questionable as per the training aid)...

If I remember right, somebody had the same problem, I suggested that his friend stand next to him and watch him shoot, when you flinch, your friend hits you in the head with a shovel..

Let me know how it works out (I think I have the same problem and since we can no longer dry fire, I gotta get some snap caps)..

Good luck with the flinching/knot on your head...

T

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hey Tod,

I'll volunteer to help you out w/ your flinching problem. :)

I just have to slow down and concentrate on sight picture. I have corrected most of my other errors (at least the ones that are shooting related).

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
aiformula said:
Hey Tod,

I'll volunteer to help you out w/ your flinching problem. :)

I just have to slow down and concentrate on sight picture. I have corrected most of my other errors (at least the ones that are shooting related).
I dont have a flinching problem but I would after you hit me in the head with a shovel! Smart ass!

·
Registered
678 Posts
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.....

"I dont have a flinching problem but I would after you hit me in the head with a shovel! Smart ass!"

That lacked the pure genious, but sometimes the simplicity is just as good, excuse me, I need to go change my britches, I laughed so hard I pi$$ed my pants...

T

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
my problem was jerking the triggr. a real shame because my XD seems to have a really smooth trigger pull. But now i enjoy it!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I found jerking to be a psychological problem. So what I did (early in my shooting days) was to do the following, utilizing information from internet websites like here

1. Dry firing. get some snap caps, and practice dry firing. Take a safe spot in your house, and put a dot on the wall and make sure the firearms is unloaded. Do not have any live ammunition around. Load snap caps, and concentrate on trigger pull. nice and steady pull. take your time.

2. after you are getting the hang of, and is able to maintain the sight picture level, add a challenge. place a dime or a nickel on top of front sight. and see if you can dry fire without dropping it.

3. when you goto the range, take your time and try to work on what you did with dry firing, but with a bullseye target in front of you. line the sights, focus on the front sight, mind on the trigger, and a steady pull. when you succesfully hit the target, repeat the process, but do not hurry in. You have to have a mind set that says, "I can take this boom!"

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I like to stand near others when they shoot and stare at some one. With both of you watching each other you can teach yourself to keep your eyes open. Because your not shooting you can concentrate on being surprised at the boom and train your eyes to stay open. its just one technique.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've learned that shooting with one eye open gives me horrible groups.
since that I've been shooting with both open and get awesome groups.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I flinch. I've been shooting most of my life but never cared how I was doing with pistols until recently. Been trying to get rid of the last moment twitch that's been giving me a 20% flyer rate. I need to dry fire more.

UD.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
area1320 said:
I've learned that shooting with one eye open gives me horrible groups.
since that I've been shooting with both open and get awesome groups.
That might be part of my problem as well.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts