Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been posting here for a few months now. I guess it's about time I posted a note here.

I'm living out my second childhood and exploring my gun fetish. I've loved guns all my life, but didn't have time for them until now. Just retired as of the end of last year and I'm making up for lost time.

I bought the XDm 45 as an impulse buy a few months ago. It was my first semi-auto. I intended it for the range and that's still where I use it. You can see from my signature what I've done to it. Even though it was spur of the moment decision to buy that gun, I couldn't have made a better choice. I've done a lot of shooting these last several months and have rented various other models. Every time I shoot something else, I feel better about my snap decision on the XDm 45. It's a fantastic gun.

I used to be in LE many years ago and got my CCW a while back. I made up for the research I didn't do with the XDm 45 with a carry gun. I researched about 20 models, then narrowed it down to three: XDm 9mm 3.8" Compact, M&P 9c and the SR9c. After a little more rental at the range time, the choice was clear. Hence, my new XDm 9c. I had my XDm 45 Cerakoted brushed aluminum due to buyer's remorse and wishing I'd gotten the bitone. It turned out great and the Cerakote has made it even smoother. But I ordered the 9c as a bitone with the new Trijicon factory night sights.

I'm still getting used to carrying again, but overall I'm very happy with my second choice.

My newest addition to the family is a Ruger SR1911. I've longed for a 1911 for decades and the Ruger is exactly what I had in mind. It's a beautiful gun, that's well made but is available at a reasonable price. I could pay 5 or 6 times what the Ruger costs, but from what I've seen and heard, the tolerances are so danged tight on those babies, you've got to feed it the expensive stuff exclusively or expect it to jam. The SR1911 appears to have the right mix between fit and function. I've never had a jam with my XDm's. I expect I might with a 1911, but rumor has it the Ruger pretty much eats what you feed it without complaining.

So, hi all, albiet late.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk!

Guns is like barbie dolls for men... we just can't have enough:p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
127,424 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. And, the 1911 "bug bite" will continue to fester...You will get more!:twisted:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hello from Northern California!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Premium Member
22,464 Posts
hello there

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome from Central Florida. And, the 1911 "bug bite" will continue to fester...You will get more!:twisted:
That's what I'm beginning to realize! I thought it was just another gun, not an obsession!

I've not even shot my new XDm9c yet, waiting for this SR1911 to get here. Looks like Saturday-ish before it arrives and can replenish my GSR coating. :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome from Florida. I've been thinking about that Ruger 1911, how does it compare with the Remington R1911? I have a Remington Rand 1911 built in the 40's and a HK45c.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome from Florida. I've been thinking about that Ruger 1911, how does it compare with the Remington R1911? I have a Remington Rand 1911 built in the 40's and a HK45c.
I'm not a 1911 expert, but I did see one article that compared it to the Remington and rated them about the same. I've not done that much research on the Remington either, though I was going to. Guess I should! ;-)

Here's a link from a very knowledgeable user on Rugerformun.net. He's a retired gunsmith and I really appreciate his experience and trust his advice. Springfield Loaded vs SR1911? - Ruger Forum This link is on the SR1911 vs a loaded Springfield 1911 but it has some great info.

And thanks for the welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts