Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to shoot the new XD-40 today...88 rounds of WWB, I kept a mag full in case I need to shoot something before I buy another box.

Did not have a single problem, but I am wondering what difference the different guide rods and springs make on the recoil??

·
Registered
80 Posts
I heard they can change the felt recoil but have heard some stuff about reliability but am not sure.

I'd spend the money on more ammo personally. Get out there w/ more than 88 rounds and shoot that gun like it was meant to be shot!

I'll probably put 300-500 rounds through the guns I take out to the range this monday (except the new revolver I got... it's too expensive for that much ammo and would probably kill my hand)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I've used the Don's Guide Rod from day 1 with my XD and never had any reliabiity issues. The stock unit has been known to fail (although this is rare) and the DGR setup simply can't. The DGR allows you to use different spring weights so you can adjust the felt recoil somewhat. Also, since the DGR uses regular 1911 springs, replacing a worn out spring is cheap.

I keep my stock unit in my range bag for backup, but it hasn't seen the light of day so far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got to shoot it again today. Another 50 rounds....most I can afford to shoot thanks to the holidays.

Anways I did have one problem this time. I'm not sure what its called when this happens, I shot one round and it ejected fine, and the next round went in the chamber but the the slide did not close all the way.
when I pulled the slide back, the round stayed in the chamber. I released the mag and let the slide close again and that time it closed, I ejected that round and loaded the mag and continued shooting....I using CCI blazer brass

I'm thinking it may have just been the cold...it's 5 degrees out, but thats not a good excuse. I am definatly going to shoot it more to make sure it doesn't do it again.

Whatever it is, would a stronger spring help prevent this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wish I had enough property to be able to shoot outside. I've gotta make a 10-15min drive to a range, then pay $6 for 1/2 hour, $9 an hour to shoot. On top of the fact that walmart and other places around here don't sell silhouettes (sp?) and the range charges .75 a target!

·
Registered
309 Posts
armatron said:
I wish I had enough property to be able to shoot outside. I've gotta make a 10-15min drive to a range, then pay $6 for 1/2 hour, $9 an hour to shoot. On top of the fact that walmart and other places around here don't sell silhouettes (sp?) and the range charges .75 a target!
If you want, I can email a silhouette target that I made. Then you can print out as many as you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts