Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well unfortunately, everywhere around here only had Speer Gold Dot 200gr ammo so it cost me about 40 bucks to shoot 40 rounds (eek!) but it was worth it to finally get to shoot my XD for the first time.

A little background, I haven't shot a pistol in about 3 years and I have never previously shot a .45 so today was sure an experience.

My first mag of ammo (9 rounds) was at 15 yards and I was all over the target, in fact, I completely missed the target twice.

So, I set out a new target at 7 yards and had about 1 inch to 1.5 inch groups shooting a little low of the bullseye (I'm not confident that my sights are in fact set for a 6 o'clock shooting position), but at least my groups were tight so I was very happy with the overall set.

My third set was 14 shots. Each shot was well within an inch of each other (most were around half an inch to a quarter of an inch apart). I was still shooting low but that's ok, i'm sure it's mostly my shooting and lack of experience.

The 200gr ammo was pretty snappy, especially considering i'm a small guy (5'4", 110lbs) but I expected that since everyone on this forum seems to recommend 130gr ammo. I am going to find some cheaper ammo and put about 100 more rounds through the pistol as soon as I can. Yeah, the .45 GAP ammo is expensive as hell but I wouldn't trade this gun for the world. I'm completely sold on the XD!

I also was able to shoot my friend's .357 magnum and his .38 special. I didn't shoot nearly as well with them as I did the XD but they were neat guns. Mike loved the XD and I think he's going to pick one up as soon as he can afford it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't wory my friend, .45 GAP ammo isn't that expsensive. If no one carries it in your area. Then order it online. www.midwayusa.com or www.cheaperthandirt.com. I bought my XD45LE 4" Service a couple of weeks ago. The first box I bought was the only brand that the store had, Winchester Super X Silvers, $29.99 per 50. Ouch!! Of course they only stock the most exspensive kind. Jerks!! But alas I found what I was looking for the other day. $13.99 per 50 rounds of TMJ 185gr. Federals. Bought two boxes and would've bought more, but I didn't have the money.

My next suggestion is save your rounds. As long as there Brass you can reload them. This is especially critical if the cartridge doesn't last. But after my recent misfortune trying to find ammo around here, I have come to the realization that they don't ever have any cause us .45 GAP owners are buying it all!!! Supply and Demand, and I demand more!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried too much. I was for a while when I was trying to find somewhere to get some last minute ammo before going to the range and I paid for it (literally). I called one of my local ranges and they told me they will reload my brass for me for $10 per 50 rounds which is a great deal. They also mentioned something to me about their willingness to let me test their rounds (since they haven't perfected the .45 GAP yet). So if I can get away with spending $20 for 100 rounds of custom reloads, I'm going to do it.

Also, how long will the brass last before they are no longer reloadable?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was over at Bill Jackson's. I'd consider going to knights but they have an insane range fee and at BJ's, I can shoot for as long as I want for 7 bucks.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts