Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a very nice day at the range today. The first half was spent in the weekly shooting league and then the second half was spent helping my mom become acquainted with her new M&P 9c. After taking it down and cleaning all the factory gunk out we loaded it up and began to break it in.

I have to say I like this gun. I don't like it more than my XDm mind you, but it is a very nice pistol. I've handled a few before but as many of you know, holding one in the shop is a lot different than actually being able to shoot it. Out of 200 rounds we had a total of 16 FTE/FTF. Now I know this sounds horrible but I'm going to rack this up to a combination of new gun in need of a break-in and my mother slightly limp-wristing. The reason I won't attribute all of it to her limp-wristing is I had her fire my well broken in XDm and she didn't have the same issue. I also will not completely blame the M&P because I fired a few mags through it and didn't have an issue. So, again, partly my mom's fault and partly the M&P.

My impression as follows:

Take down: Kind of a pain. The general idea is similar to an XD/m but there are a few extra steps. You lock the slide back, then yank out the M&P disassembly tool from the grip (this part is a pain on a new gun as that little sonofabitch is in there tight!). Using the tool you push down the sear deactivation lever inside the breach. Next you lower the take-down lever to the vertical position. Now the problem we are having is the take down lever doesn't want to stay down. Unless you apply constant pressure, it will snap back up to the horizontal position. This can get kind of annoying as the take down lever is really stiff and my thumb started to hurt after a few times doing it (a quick search shows that this seems to be common. Some do it and some don't). After the take down lever is lowered you simply pull the slide back a tad to disengage the slide stop and then slide it forward and off the frame. Like I said it is similar to the XDm but not quite as easy.

Trigger: I had read that the newer versions of the M&P had an improved trigger and I guess it is true because my mom's compact has a much better trigger than the ones I've handled at my LGS. Every M&P that I've help before this had an absolutely disgusting trigger. Imagine taking the XDm trigger and pouring quicksand in it and it might be close. Her particular M&P, however, has a nice, smooth trigger pull with a decent reset. Much like the stock XDm trigger it has a bit too much pretravel but it is vastly improved over the older models. I think the stock XDm trigger is still better but now its not such a massive difference. I even got used to the funky half hinge weirdness of it.

Sights: M&P hands down. The XDm sights are nice but the M&P sights are freaking awesome with big, fat white dots.

Ergonomics: Hmmmmm, I know you can't really compare a fullsize to a compact so I won't but the M&P 9c is a very comfortable compact. If I were to compare the XDm to a fullsize M&P (which I did when I bought mine), I would say the XDm is more comfortable, but only by a hair. The M&P's adjustable palm swells are much better than the replaceable backstraps on the XDm though simply because they also change the thickness of the grip. This is a big plus for me since the standard size feels a bit too narrow for my bear paws and the large palm swell makes it just about perfect. Well maybe not H&K p30 perfect but damned good.

Recoil: BORE AXIS! BORE AXIS! BORE AXIS!!!;) j/k. The M&P 9c has a touch more muzzle lift than my XDm. Yeah it has a lower bore axis (barely) and all that but it also gives up a few ounces which counteract any benefit that would have. To be honest it had less perceived kick than I thought it would and I would bet that the fullsize M&P would feel as soft shooting as my XDm.

Looks: Maybe not important to some people but I like a nice looking gun. I have to say I really like the lines of the M&P. Much like the XDm, I think it is a very nice looking gun.

My mother loves her new M&P 9c and I have to say, as committed as I was to getting a Gen4 G17, I am now seriously considering getting a M&P9 instead. I have never really warmed up to the Glock like I did with my mom's M&P and the main reason I wanted a Glock was because they are cheap, reliable, stupid simple, and I really want to shoot in the GSSF. Now I'm trying to figure out how to sneak a M&P into a GSSF match so I don't waste the membership I just paid for!

All in all, I think the XDm is the better pistol.....for me. The M&P is a damned fine pistol in its own right and considering the huge armorer/factory support and department discounts S&W offers, its no wonder the M&P is chewing a hunk out of Glocks market share.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Great write up. I wouldn't mind getting an a M&P someday. I do have to say my experience with Smith and Wesson has been a good one. My first handgun that I bought with my own money, and a PTP (permit to purchase) was a Sigma 9mm. To this date I'm well over a 1000 rounds, and I have never had a FTF, or FTE with the gun. And I've tired to make the gun jam. I've ran mostly blazer FMJ practice rounds through it, and it keeps eating them up. I've also ran JHP though her and never a single malfunction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I shot an M&P 9 in the police academy for 3 weeks. It was my first time shooting an autoloading pistol but I ended up receiving top shot out of 47. Most likely because it's such a great gun. She has a special place in my cardiac muscle.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
You do know that you don't have to use the "tool" to release the lever to strip the gun; right? Lock the slide back, flip the take down lever, release slide stop, pull the trigger (just like the XD) and remove the slide. 'Course it helps to insure there is no round in the chamber (just like the XD).

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
You do know that you don't have to use the "tool" to release the lever to strip the gun; right? Lock the slide back, flip the take down lever, release slide stop, pull the trigger (just like the XD) and remove the slide. 'Course it helps to insure there is no round in the chamber (just like the XD).
You could just use a pocket knife or other small too to flip the lever as well. It doesn't have to be done w/ the tool in the handle...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I tried that and it worked fine but since the manual doesn't mention that as an alternative method I was afraid of screwing something up, especially since it's her mother's day gift.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I've got the fullsize M&P9 and 40 and a M&P Pro9. All are great guns. Hard to go wrong with the M&P.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I love my M&P 45c. It was love hate before the DCAEK though. Felt like I was pulling the trigger through sand, and could not feel the reset before the trigger job. It has been ousted by a Kahr CW45 for EDC lately, but it's the best shooting compact I have ever fired.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeesh, 16 malfs per 200 rounds? Limpwristing or no, that's WAYYYYYY too much. I could not possibly trust my life to such a finicky, picky, unreliable handgun.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have seen higher failure rates with XDs and Glocks when used by older shooters or those with prior injuries. That is just the nature of the beast, especially until they are trained to combat those issues.

Also, take down gets much easier after a little use. The wife also carries a M&Pc and her's was very stiff out the box, as was the slide release. After a few hundred rounds it is much better now.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'm going to have to see if I can rent one of these with all the good reviews that are surfacing. Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeesh, 16 malfs per 200 rounds? Limpwristing or no, that's WAYYYYYY too much. I could not possibly trust my life to such a finicky, picky, unreliable handgun.
Well like I said, when I shot it there were no malfunctions and when my mother shot my well broken-in XDm she didn't have an issue. For the moment we're assuming that once it's fully broken in there shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well like I said, when I shot it there were no malfunctions and when my mother shot my well broken-in XDm she didn't have an issue. For the moment we're assuming that once it's fully broken in there shouldn't be an issue.
Very surprised you had so many FTF/FTE. I took my M&P Compact 357 sig to the range straight out of the box and put 200 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Would definitely contact Smith and Wesson if that continues.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Two recommendations Xgrip lets you shoot full size mags and a Apex sear, easy drop in part for $39 that greatly improves the trigger. After putting in the apex seer I have to say the trigger is just as good as my XDm.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
The grittyness of the trigger smooths out over time as does everything else on the gun. I rented a relatively well-used M&P at the range not to long ago and it was suprisingly smooth and pleasant. I don't find the take-down to be a big deal at all. You can either do it "Glock-style" as already mentioned, use a very small screwdriver, or if you are good enough, your finger to bring the thin lever down. The take-down lever does like to pop up, but is easily taken care of by simply keeping one of your fingers on it while sliding off the slide. I actually prefer the M&P over the XDm in pretty much every way. Is it better than the XDm? No. It's just a different gun. Glocks do not suit me well at all, but that doesn't make it a worse gun than say an XDm. I think we generally have to be careful when it comes to evaluating weapons and things in general. Different does not always equate to being not as good. The same goes for personal preference. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two recommendations Xgrip lets you shoot full size mags and a Apex sear, easy drop in part for $39 that greatly improves the trigger. After putting in the apex seer I have to say the trigger is just as good as my XDm.
I've told my mother about the DCEAK kit just in case she feels the trigger needs further improvement once it has finished "smoothing out". From everything I've read Apex makes one hell of a difference in trigger feel.

I think we generally have to be careful when it comes to evaluating weapons and things in general. Different does not always equate to being not as good. The same goes for personal preference. :)
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For you guys who might have both, how does the trigger pull of a DCEAK equipped M&P compare to a PRP equipped XDm?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I don't have a PRP, but I do have a Springer trigger on my XDm. It's leaps and bounds above the M&P trigger with DCAEK.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I want the M&P Compact in 9 or 40, but it's third on the list after another CZ, and a drum fed 22 rifle.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts