Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up around 6am and grab some B-fast...then I remembered I forgot my guns :rolleyes: so headed back to the house, luckily I was close to the house. This was my dads first time to shoot a handgun, so I went over all the rules with him and showed him proper grip and sight alignment, how to load a mag and gun, and work the slide release and empty a gun. He did well with all the auto, but didn't do that well with my new bodyguard38, he really didn't like it at all but its expected since its a light weight snubby.

I also became the first victim of my bodyguard38

(guns empty btw)

I had too much trigger finger and it got pinched between the top of the trigger and frame. I didnt think I was bleeding until I stated shooting the XDM9 and saw blood on the frame lol

Sorry for the 4 vids, I was planning on putting them together, but I couldnt get them off my iPhone.

He liked the .22 and .45 the most, also was able to police all my brass for reloading. Thinking of getting a tarp and placing it where the autos fling them.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
He really wanted to keep that thumb pointing up. :)

Glad you guys had a good time.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well **** found that my extraction rod was bent a little and cant get a full extraction. Called S&W and they said turn around is 3wks to a month. So I said screw it, got a big plier covered the rod with a shirt, and bent it back little and it works fine :p 3 weeks turned to 3 seconds. I couldn't just go on not carrying for a month.

Yeah my dad did pick up shooting pretty fast, after getting that nice cut I didn't get to finish all 150 rds of .38 I brought.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thinking of getting a tarp and placing it where the autos fling them.

We use some mosquito netting. The brass doesn't bounce on it, and you can shake the dirt out when you pick it up.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We use some mosquito netting. The brass doesn't bounce on it, and you can shake the dirt out when you pick it up.
hmmm think we have something like that somewhere in the garage. Gonna have to dig through it.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Nice. Very cool that your dad would go shooting with you. So great that you guys have that time together.

Didn't watch the vids (I'm at work), but it looks like from the stills that he may be leaning back, or do my eyes deceive me?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice. Very cool that your dad would go shooting with you. So great that you guys have that time together.

Didn't watch the vids (I'm at work), but it looks like from the stills that he may be leaning back, or do my eyes deceive me?
Yeah been telling him he needs to start learning to shoot for awhile lol. Does look like a slight back leaning, next time we go I'll show him a proper stance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice job of getting Pops out to the range !

Actually my 18 yo daughter is the reason that I became interested in shooting , so old dogs CAN learn new tricks .

Now I have a CC permit and she is frustrated that she has to wait . :razz:

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
The answer to all that is the Brass Wizzard! When you get to the range, you can pick up brass left by others. Buy the package of 4 for best price. I guarantee you can sell the others before you leave the range. Extremely happy with mine. Sold the other three before I left the range.

Brass Wizard™

·
Registered
480 Posts
It looks like your dad had one hell of a time with you:D

I won't blame your dad if he developed a sudden urge to have his own plinker;)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Tell your dad he shoots like a girl! ;) Standing with feet dead square to the target often causes a backwards lean. Just have him put his weak side (left for him) foot forward about 12 inches and put his weight on it then lean in to the target. The weight being forward and the lean being forward will also minimize the affects of recoil.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell your dad he shoots like a girl! ;) Standing with feet dead square to the target often causes a backwards lean. Just have him put his weak side (left for him) foot forward about 12 inches and put his weight on it then lean in to the target. The weight being forward and the lean being forward will also minimize the affects of recoil.
Yeah next time I'm out with him I'll focus on stance.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
As long as he is having fun making holes in paper --- it's all good!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as he is having fun making holes in paper --- it's all good!
Still, I think it's a good idea to teach everything to newbs from the getgo so later on If they plan on getting into gunsthey a reference to what the proper grip, stance, ect. Lol gonna have to remember when I take a friend shooting sometime this next week.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad you had a good time. It makes sense he liked the 1911, he looks like a classy guy. Next time you two hang out give him some dry fire lessons so he can get comfortable with his grip. He isn't really sure where to place his thumbs yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice to see a YTube video where a new shooter is actually getting solid instruction.

Enjoy as many of these kinds of days with dad as you possibly can!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts