Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pWell yesterday was the day! I picked up a brand new Century Arms WASR 10/63. Ok well I have onlys been waiting two months to get it but it felt like an eternity.

I took it out and put about 100 rounds through it and it was actually a lot more accurate than I expected. The main problem I ecountered was the bolt sticking back especially when i would try to rapid fire. I also had a few FTF's. I know it was probably because i didn't clean or lube the gun before I used. I just took it straight from the shop to the camp site. I am going to give it a good cleaning tonight and see if that helps next time. Any other resources that I can read about how to fix bolt sticking problem? I was also shooting TUL ammo which I know is cheap but I didnt think it would matter at all in an AK.

I picked this rifle because the sites were not canted at all and there was little to no mag wobble. There were three or four others to choose from but all of the mags wobbled really bad. I hope I didn't pick the wrong one :shock:.

I will post pics ASAP I am just waiting for them to show up in my email.

Any advice on the sticking bolt would be great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm far from an AK expert. It might be packed with grease, or worse, cosmoline. Clean it out good.

Just clean it well, lub it up well, and break it in. But you get what you pay for and you paid for a cheap rebuild. But on the bright side, you'll probably end up with a well functioning and reliable weapon. Gratz.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Very nice congrats on the new gun. Looks like yours is missing the cleaning rod just like mine. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i noticed that too! is that something that I should go back and get from the guy that sold it to me?

also do you guys have any good tutorials on cleaning? I am brand new to this gun so i want to learn as much as possible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah i noticed that too! is that something that I should go back and get from the guy that sold it to me?

also do you guys have any good tutorials on cleaning? I am brand new to this gun so i want to learn as much as possible.
I've got a Polish 1960 and that's just a bit different than your WASR but I can tell you to make sure to clean the inside of the gas tube (the part that the upper hand guard is attached to) once you pull out the gas piston/bolt carrier. Youtube has some very informative videos covering break down and cleaning of the various AK models.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice thank you! Also i was thinking about trying to get the wood to look "russian red". I have read a lot of stuff about how you have to strip the wood first is that true since this is pretty much bare right now? and what stain would give me the best finish?

·
Registered
616 Posts
:pWell yesterday was the day! I picked up a brand new Century Arms WASR 10/63. Ok well I have onlys been waiting two months to get it but it felt like an eternity.

I took it out and put about 100 rounds through it and it was actually a lot more accurate than I expected. The main problem I ecountered was the bolt sticking back especially when i would try to rapid fire. I also had a few FTF's. I know it was probably because i didn't clean or lube the gun before I used. I just took it straight from the shop to the camp site. I am going to give it a good cleaning tonight and see if that helps next time. Any other resources that I can read about how to fix bolt sticking problem? I was also shooting TUL ammo which I know is cheap but I didnt think it would matter at all in an AK.

I picked this rifle because the sites were not canted at all and there was little to no mag wobble. There were three or four others to choose from but all of the mags wobbled really bad. I hope I didn't pick the wrong one :shock:.

I will post pics ASAP I am just waiting for them to show up in my email.

Any advice on the sticking bolt would be great.
Congrats on the new gun! Seems like a good cleaning should clear your problem right up. Let us know how it feels after you clean it. Also with the cleaning rod, I wouldn't worry about it because I never even use mine. I don't know if they're all like this, but my cleaning rod has a "male" end instead of the "female" end so I can't even use it... The only reason I keep it on there is because if SHTF and I had nothing, I could tear a piece of T-shirt and cram it down the barrel or gas chamber.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No about the cleaning rod,some just didn't come with it. I bought one for like $10.00 because it looked incomplete without it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news. One of the mags that came with the gun was all rusted and unusable. I took it back to the shop today and he gave me a new one for free. I told him I didn't get a cleaning rod with my gun and he pulled one off one of the other AK's and gave that to me for free also. And he gave me an old sling for it too! pretty lucrative trip to the store :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts