Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Finally got a chance to take the girl to the range...and I was surprised! :D
She did extremely well, and it was the first time she has shot a pistol. I started her out at 3yrds because I figure if she is going to be using my gun in home defense, then thats about the range it would be at.

The left 2 are hers, the right 2 are mine. I was only putting 10rds in each mag so that she would slow down and take her time. We already picked out what gun she wants, a ruger lcp...so sometime in the future she will have her own.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
Glad you got her out shooting, and hope she had a great time and wants to go again soon!

Re the LCP:
I own an LCP and consider it my primary CC weapon. The small size makes it a natural for pocket carry, especially in warmer weather. One caveat re the LCP... make sure she shoots one before you buy it. It is a light handgun and has a rather snappy feel to its recoil. Though that doesn't bother me, I've read many posts from other folks in that regard.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
I agree with jmichna 100%.
I absolutely love my LCP. I was also sure that my wife would like shooting it because it was so small, as did she.
Turns out she liked my .40 xdm better. Larger gun absorbs the recoil. The LCP has way too much snap for her liking. We are looking to get her a Ruger SR9c later in the year, as 9mm seems to work best for her.
Definately let her shoot before buying, she needs something she will enjoy so you guys can go shoot together.
But if you must, I think a couple of members here were selling LCPs recently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the main factor is something she will be able to easily conceal even in her smallest purse. I also wanted to get a laser for it so I know she won't miss, even in a high pressure situation.

There isn't anywhere(that I know of) that has a decent selection of guns to rent, cause there is a few that I would love to shoot but haven't been able to. I frequent Shoot Straight of Tampa, as it is the nicest around here that I have been to so far; good ventilation and cool temperature for an indoor range. Not to mention that their storeroom is nice, and fun to look through everytime!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The family that shoots together stays together!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Looks like that qualifies to me! :p

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'd keep her away from the LCP unless she gets a chance to try it first. It's snappy without a doubt. If she's dead set on having a small framed pistol, I might look at an LC9 or a Kahr CM/PM9 or a Walther PK380 or PPS.

I love my LCP because it is so easy to carry, but I don't shoot it as much as a full size gun.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good for her! I hope to get my wife to the range with me after she delivers our first "lil package". Found out just yesterday... its a little girl! :) Big Daddy Houston... sounds purty good! ;)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Cool beans. Trying to get my wife out to see if my .40 sc is too much for her. lol she said it was heavy the first time she held it. but shes never held a pistol before. I was thinking a 9 mm sc would be good for her.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My wife prefers the .38 revolver snub nose. Easy to load, easy to shoot, and easy to conceal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts