Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got an AR. Couldn't decide whether to build or buy. I decided to split the difference and go with assemble. Ordered a complete lower from PSA with magpul furniture. Ordered a Moriarti Armaments barrelled upper. PSA BCG. Sig Romeo MSR. Also installed are some knockoff magpul mbus sights I borrowed from another project. Will be upgrading those relatively soon. Upper seems to be decent. It will be awhile before I am able to get out and give an honest assessment of how it shoots. But for the time being, I'm happy with it. Still waiting for the charging handle and hand stop I ordered to complete it.
15907898360573216824855367266700.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,651 Posts
She is pretty!

Reactions: Fatalogptwgjdep

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Congrats @Fatalogptwgjdep. Nice looking rifle.

Wait for the 4th of July sales, for any of the upgrades you may want to do. I always seem to get good deals on the 4th of July sales for my builds. Waiting to see this years sales. Planning to build an AR15 pistol and an AR10 rifle.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A pistol build is next on my to-do list. Considering a .300 blackout uppet from BCA and a Palmetto Lower. I'm intrigued by the side charging uppers BCA has. But I may decide to go with a standard charging upper so that I dont run into any issues with proprietary designs or possible issues with other BCG. But I will honestly probably go with a 223 wylde upper since all the local ranges are indoor and are limited to 5.56 when shooting rifle rounds.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to offer an update, I still havent had an opportunity to take it out to the range. But after looking over the upper a little more, noticed the machining isnt great. I noticed the cutouts on the rail in multiple parts (not the m-lok slots) are sharp and the machining doesn't look particularly clean. Same on the flash hider. When I take it out, definitely going to want to be wearing gloves. Again, I'm new to the AR world, but if you decide to go with the Moriarti upper, temper expectations. The other thing I did not notice immediately, is the photo on their website depicts a keymod rail but there is an option for M-lok. The photo depicts Keymod slots the entire length of the upper. My upper only has 3 slots on the front in the 3, 6, and 9 positions. I anticipated some variation in the manner the upper rail was patterned, but I'm not particularly happy with that aspect. I was so excited to finally have a complete AR I certainly overlooked some things. But now that I've had a chance to really look it over, I certainly notice quite a few shortcomings of this particular upper. Given the cost of the upper, I definitely anticipated some less than optimal characteristics. There was also a bit of rattle that was a little off-putting. But I'm not sure that it was worse than others have experienced. Ordered an accu-wedge which eliminated the issue. Regretting not going for a BCA upper, with cost being a consideration. They have a decent reputation for entry level uppers and would have been about $160 cheaper. Don't want to bash this upper too hard, especially without having any rounds through it. But I want people to be aware of potential shortcomings. Mine may be an exception. My buddy got a .300 blackout upper. Machining on his was clean. He had minimal to no rattle.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Upper/lower gap of less than 0.020 is acceptable. A bit of play is disconcerting, but it won't be a detriment to actual performance. Be careful with the AccuWedge, as it can potentially cause more problems than the bit of wobble that it solves, particularly in hard-use guns.

You can also take some of the play out of the upper/lower combo by shimming around the front take-down pin. Some just use an o-ring, others prefer a metal washer - there's also ready-made shims available from TriggerShims.com.

It's not really a sign of quality or tolerance issues unless it exceeds that gap. There's plenty of quality Mil-Spec guns (and even high-dollar builds, at-that) that have a bit of play. :)

That machining on the flash-hider and handguard is pretty bad, though. There's a lot of folks sitting on take-off A2s, and someone may be willing to just send you one.

Take a look (literally, visually) to see if the gas-block aligns properly and that the top rail is aligned properly with the upper. You can also check the alignment of the gas-tube to a degree by free-"dropping" the carrier. Give this article in ARBuildjunkie a read, and take a look at the short videos, too --->

AR-15 Gas System Issues – School of the American Rifle -

Chad Albrecht is an SME in this area, and his SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) website, Facebook, and Instagram are filled with excellent knowledge. The ARBuildjunkie site is great, too.

If you have some free time, search old posts by the late William Larson on M4Carbine.net (set author field to "Iraqgunz"). His old posts were incredibly educational, and his presence sorely missed.

Since you have yet to fire your new AR, do you by-chance have access to headspace gauges? Given the mating of one aftermarket BCG with another's upper (the latter whose quality is somewhat suspect, based on your observations alone), I'd be inclined to check this box in the pre-flight list, before heading out.

I share your disappointment at the lack of M-Lok slots - particularly closer to the gas block, where it's likely to be hottest as you run the gun. Wrapping the handguard with heat-shielding seems to be the newest trend among the cool-guys, so if this becomes an issue, maybe it'll just give you a chance to look extra cool. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts