Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 7.62x39 build done.

Been home less than 4 day from a 9 week business trip, so no range time yet, but I should be able to get everything running right if it isn't from the get-go. 4th 7.62x39 build I've done, first for myself.

Build List:
Poverty pony lower
CMMG parts kit w/ FCG (for now)
CMMG buffer tube
Aero Carbine Buffer Spring
Magpul Alum trigger guard
Spikes ST-T2 buffer
Magpul CTR stock

VLTOR MUR-1 Upper Cerakote FDE
Aero Atlas S One Cerakote FDE 15" MLok Handguard
Faxon 16" Gunner 7.62x39 1:8 QPQ Barrel
Toolcraft 7.62x39 BCG
BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 CH
VG6 Gamma 762 muzzle brake
JoeBob's low profile steel gas block and SS gas tube

Testing purposes AIM 1.5-4x Illuminated horseshoe reticle scope

I've had the lower complete for a while, it was host to a CMMG dedicated 22 upper for a little bit, will probably continue to host it for teaching my kids rifle handling.

Other thoughts:
Toolcraft BCG wasn't my first choice, was really eyeing a RCA, but the price was right, and the material specs check the right boxes. Machining is super smooth, so we'll see how it does.

Faxon barrel, first I've bought, though I've used and recommended lots of them in the past, the gunner profile seems to strike a nice balance between weight and balance, we'll see how it groups, though I have no reason to suspect it won't do exactly what I expect.

MUR upper, my 3rd, love these uppers, got this one for a DEEP discount last time this year when Midway was doing an unannounced sale over about a 3 day period.

Atlas handguard, first non Midwest handguard I've bought myself (my wife's rifle has one from now defunct REV), lockup was nice and tight, probably the first handguard I didn't need a bridging scope mount to get the rail perfectly aligned to the receiver. Really pleased with the color match to the MUR, the attachment method seems very solid, and was quick to install with the turnbuckle style taper block attachment.

Gamma 762, way overkill for 7.62x39 I suspect, but I have one on my 308AR, so I snagged another to see how it works out. It's advertised to also work well with 300BO, so shouldn't be too far off.

Kit trigger, I'm a trigger snob, so this one is polished, but I'll probably switch it out down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
So what was the final cost.
I thought about a hybrid 7.62 ar but purchased a windham and its been flawless.
It was under 800 with tax and ffl fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could add up everything I paid, but I don't go for budget builds as a rule, usually build to get exactly what I want without compromises.

Off the top of my head, I think I'm into the lower as it sets for around $300, and the complete upper for around $600, not counting magazines and some more tools I picked up along with the parts orders.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I'm interested in hearing more about the optic.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm interested in hearing more about the optic.
It's not interesting, it's cheap, lol. Not as tight on tracking as a Nikon or higher quality, but reasonably repeatable for most of my non-match shooting. It's turned into my function testing/ beater scope before I put a final "real" glass choice on a rifle.

I do know that I'm leaving some accuracy on the table when trying to do groups after switching scopes on my heavy fluted stainless build, but I was able to keep around 1.75MOA with 55gr handloads, same loads dropped down to around 7/8 MOA with a Nikon (NRA HP Legal 4.5x max) scope.

But, if you want a cheap scope that's reasonably fast, and reasonably repeatable, here you go:
RECON SERIES 1.5-4X30MM RIFLESCOPE W/ 3/4 CIRCLE RETICLE 1

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Most all of my shooting is normally within about 50 yards or so.

I don't really need all the drop hash marks, but I do like the donut dot reticles. And being a low magnification optic, sounded like it would be worth checking out.

Lately, most all of my optics have been bushnell banner and simmons shotgun scopes. They work well for the distance that I use them at. But no illumination for those times when it would help.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, illuminated with some adjustable magnification 50yds and in, that el cheapo is a blast. Enough magnification to do groups, or drop the magnification to run quick on steel.

Some people get overly snooty on optics, but yeah, sounds like it would suit your purposes pretty well, being a 30mm tube, it's suprisingly clear for the price as well, though it's obviously not japanese or german (or american) glass. If you know that going in, scope, with mount for $100ish is pretty alright.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, life and work getting in the way, as usual. Finally got this build on the range yesterday.

Short stroking every shot, ejecting empty silver bear steel case [known for being pretty hot], but not picking up the next round, or locking back on empty. Weaker Geco brass case ammo wouldn't fully eject the empty case. Didn't even attempt to try any handloads. Accuracy is very promising though.

Got it home, did some more searching, and found a post from Faxon from back in the end of 2016 that their gas ports were 0.080, and some customers experienced short stroking, so moving forward they were opening up to 0.091". I got my barrel from Brownell's, and figure it was more than possible my barrel was from before that change over. From what I was able to measure, the gas port was a tick under 0.080, so I carefully opened it up to 0.094", which was the closest drill size I had yesterday.

Cleaned the bore, no chips or burrs, and it's ready for retesting, hopefully in the next week or so. Also sacrificed a chamber brush to polish up the chamber from the QPQ "fuzzing" that showed up after the test firing yesterday. All in all, probably put around 30 rounds through it, manually charging each round. No evidence of bullet or case scratching, and every round fed clean, once the bolt was back far enough with manual charging, so at least all the upfront work polishing and contouring my feed ramps and bolt lugs is good to go.

First upper I've built that I've had any issue out of the gate on, but mid-length gas on a 7.62x39 build is also on the unusual side, so I'm not upset with anything, just a mild irritation and disappointment, but again, accuracy was very promising, so I'll work it until it's right.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All dialed in now.

Final gas port size: 0.109"

H2 buffer, ejection at 3:30, locks back every time, no noticeable impact on accuracy, no weird markings on ejected cases, and no more fuzzy chamber.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I had to open up the gas port on a PSA middy for the same reasons.

Whoever made the barrel used a regular M4 carbine gas port diameter and it was starved for gas and short stroking. Not locking back, ejection was at 5:30 o'clock. Pitiful.

But once I opened it up to the appropriate midlength gas port, it's been exactly what it should be. But I'm glad you got it lined out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too.

I've gotten plenty of ARs running, this just happened to be the first one of mine I needed to.

Should be a fun little deer dropper and hog thumper.

Now's my next favorite part, ammo testing and handholding. I have a load I did for my dad that he's been really happy with in a 1:10 twist, but maybe there's room for improvement in this 1:8.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I wasn't aware of any 1:8 twist x39 barrels out there. The SKS and AK are usually 1:10. And obviously they shoot most any 762x39 ammo pretty well and you generally see 120's and the occasional 154 gr soft point wolf steel case every blue moon.

I've not really looked into reloading x39 but what heavy .311 bullet weights are out there that would do pretty good hunting with?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The faxon barrels are 1:8, with a 308 bore and a longer tapered leade that still handles the .310 bullets, or .308 choices, so I've got lots of options for heavies, and more case capacity than 300blk.

Doubt I'll get something like a 220gr to cycle, but a 150 or 168 with full load of AA1680 behind it should do fine.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I don't know. I kinda bet you could with enough nerve to work a load up. But that's where I'm lacking.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a lot of experience with AA1680 so far. Basically in 7.62x39 and 300blk, you can't get enough powder in the case at mag length COAL to be a dangerous load with bullets over 150gr.

I'll give it a go because I have all the stuff to do it, just don't think it'll cycle with bullets over penalty 168gr, probably shoot decent though. A 150gr 308 diameter SP supersonic load could be handy though.

About the only other powder in regular use is lil'gun, which requires much more care. I haven't tried CFE BLK yet, but the data I've seen is very similar to 1680, so unless it's denser, no real gain in switching.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Yeah, a 168 gr bullet could be handy for big old tough critters.

I don't mean to keep going back to blk because I know the two are different, but lil gun has a pretty big following with subs and the cfeblk would prefer to be slightly compressed from the best that I have gathered. I have tried neither to be honest.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1680 works really well compressed as well, it's what I use for 220gr subs that I load for a buddy.

Trying to get up on the high end on supers is where case capacity starts running short in 300blk.

Looking at load data again for heavier bullets, it would appear that x39 has around 8gr more case capacity to work with, so I think a 308 168gr super should be doable, and maybe some bigger subs could be doable, though most deer loads will probably stick with .310 123gr SPs to share with the other common chambered rifles.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I agree. Sticking with proven supers is not a bad idea.

When I first started getting into the blk, I bought some H4198 and 1680 because so many people were using and recommending it.

It did OK, but not really great for subs. Aside from being generally just loud even with the suppressor, they were pretty dirty too.

I ended up getting with Dellet on the blktalk forum and he helped me work up #9 and Enforcer loads, which burn a lot faster and works a lot better with the heavy subs from a HD perspective, so that's pretty much what I've stuck with.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4198 is bulky, and 1680 had been a common suggestion because of it's use in 7.62x39.

I have noticed it does seem to be louder in 300blk than the same barrel length in x39.

What kind of load are you using with #9?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts