Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a couple pounds of Ramshot TAC at the store today. I have 2015 (probably end up being used on 40-55gr Hornadys in the wife's rifle), Reloader 15, Benchmark and now TAC on hand.

I'm itching for some trigger time but the only range that will allow the new chrono is only open Friday thru Sunday. I've got a workup for 69gr SMK and 2015 and 60gr Noslers and Benchmark in the range bag... maybe I can get a TAC work up done between now and Saturday.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Did you get a chance to load up any of the 69 SMK's with RL-15 yet? If you haven't, I'm sure you will at some point...was just wondering. From your other thread if I remember correctly you picked up a Pro Chrono. Let us know how you like it. I really need to get a chrono at some point.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've been wanting to try some TAC. Next time I find some at a gun show or gun store around here I'm going to buy a pound and work up some loads for the M1A first, then the AR15.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you get a chance to load up any of the 69 SMK's with RL-15 yet? If you haven't, I'm sure you will at some point...was just wondering. From your other thread if I remember correctly you picked up a Pro Chrono. Let us know how you like it. I really need to get a chrono at some point.
I haven't. I've heard TAC is even better than R-15, but I'll get both worked up and post results as time permits. I did just pick up a Pro Chrono. Spent another $80 on a good tripod, and I need to grab a notebook and a calculator and I'll be GTG.

I've been wanting to try some TAC. Next time I find some at a gun show or gun store around here I'm going to buy a pound and work up some loads for the M1A first, then the AR15.
I found it for $24 per lb. I've been reading some really good things about it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today's day at the range wasn't so bad, I found 2lbs of Varget!!!! hahaha I'm pretty damn excited. I think they had 15 or 20lbs sitting there, and I would have bought more but I figured other people are still looking for it, so I only took 2.

I now have AA2015, Benchmark, TAC, Reloader 15, and Varget on hand. This is great, especially with a new bolt gun on the way.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Congrats on picking up the Varget. It's nice to see the rifle powders coming around again. I've been seeing RL-15 and Varget fairly regularly recently. Another powder I've been using lately is IMR 8208XBR. Some of the folks I shoot Highpower with turned me on to it.

I've been loading for my rifles the last couple years, but hope to start loading for pistol this fall. Wish the pistol powders would start showing up more often. I shoot USPSA and 3-Gun and want to load for 9 and 40. I picked up some Silhouette a couple months ago pretty much based on what 57K and JSG posted about it. Not loading self defense rounds, but I think it will work based on what I've read. Really like to pick up some True Blue too, based on what I've read here...but damn...I've only seen it once in the last 6 months or so that I've been looking and it was sold out in a matter of minutes.

Congrats again on the Varget.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Congrats! Glad some of you guys are finding at least some powders. The Ramshot thing is a bit tougher because they don't have as many distributors/retailers as Hodgdon and Alliant. I need to find at least 4# of True Blue myself.

Less than a week away from the .223 and 5.56mm loading program, depending on components coming in, maybe a little longer. Thinking about loads with TAC, X-Terminator and W748 to start and I'll get to Varget before long. I'd just prefer to start with the ball powders. If I had RL15, I'd do a direct comparison with Varget. Looked into CFE 223 and decided to hold off. Hodgdon doesn't list 5.56mm NATO data and looking at NOSLER's data, they didn't use it with bullets heavier than 60 grs. in .223 Rem. where compression starts becoming an issue. In their 5.56mm data, they only used 69,77 & 80 gr. bullets where CFE 223 was omitted. ;)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! Glad some of you guys are finding at least some powders. The Ramshot thing is a bit tougher because they don't have as many distributors/retailers as Hodgdon and Alliant. I need to find at least 4# of True Blue myself.

Less than a week away from the .223 and 5.56mm loading program, depending on components coming in, maybe a little longer. Thinking about loads with TAC, X-Terminator and W748 to start and I'll get to Varget before long. I'd just prefer to start with the ball powders. If I had RL15, I'd do a direct comparison with Varget. Looked into CFE 223 and decided to hold off. Hodgdon doesn't list 5.56mm NATO data and looking at NOSLER's data, they didn't use it with bullets heavier than 60 grs. in .223 Rem. where compression starts becoming an issue. In their 5.56mm data, they only used 69,77 & 80 gr. bullets where CFE 223 was omitted. ;)
I have a feeling CFE 223 may be a good powder for 55gr rounds, particularly Hornady's VMAX. I've got a connection on a pound and if the wife's gun comes in when it's supposed to, I may be throwing some 55gr's down range with it.

I actually have a workup of RL15 and a work up of TAC sitting next to each other... Maybe I'll get one of Varget done and they'll all hit the range with me next weekend.

Can you link me Nosler's 5.56 data?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You're welcome. I've been using their 69's and 77's . Pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I am new to reloading. I just got a text from a friend that found Silhouette. I have Berry's plated 115 grain bullets. I'm at work now, so I obviously don't have a reloading book in front of me, but Ramshot has loading data for this combination online. Is this a decent combo? I guess beggars can't be choosers, but I don't want to get a bad combo. Thanks a bunch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I am new to reloading. I just got a text from a friend that found Silhouette. I have Berry's plated 115 grain bullets. I'm at work now, so I obviously don't have a reloading book in front of me, but Ramshot has loading data for this combination online. Is this a decent combo? I guess beggars can't be choosers, but I don't want to get a bad combo. Thanks a bunch.

Silhouette is excellent. Definitely not a beggar with that combo!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Silhouette is excellent. Definitely not a beggar with that combo!
AWESOME! Thank you! I've had everything but powder since March. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yep, good to go with Silhouette.

I started reloading at the beginning of "panic" and powder was tough to come by so I used whatever I could find. I have a lot of recipes for the lean times.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Things are coming around a bit. The major online places are getting powder here & there, but it doesn't stay long, so the shortage isn't over yet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bass Pro is charging $31 per pound for their rifle powder. There is plenty on the shelf but I won't be buying it at that price. If it's still that high a year from now then maybe I'll consider it

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
yep me too. finding new pistol powders, hs6 and accurate 5 and 7. found more long shot, and any and every rifle powder I would want is at my shop I use in near bulk. Ahhhh times are good. still the ever elusive ramshot silhouette and true blue and cfe pistol elude me.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I picked up 4lbs of silhouette on Tuesday! Time to give reloading a try!

Reactions: taylorjr and 100968

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
that's the stuff. lucky you, load safe!!! if you change your mind and wanna go back to store bought ammo hit me up, I will buy your powder lol!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts