Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I finally ordered a 1911. Rock Island Armory GI version. $407 from Buds, includes shipping. Hopefully it will be here some time next week.

I am not the biggest fan of the platform, and I feel like there are several things I will need to do to it to get it where I want it. Namely thinner grips, a beavertail grip safety and an extended slide release for my short, pudgy little digits. I mainly got it because a) I wanted a larger caliber than my 9mm, b) I am pretty nostalgic about my grandfather's service during WWII, and I think having this weapon will be a good way to honor him, as I am sure his saved his life several times in the Philippines, and c) hard to beat the price. Also kinda neat that this weapon is made in the same country he fought in.

As a noob to the platform, is there any advice I need or some issues I need to keep in mind? I have read that some people feel that letting the slide fall on an empty chamber by using the slide release is a no-no, although I don't recall exactly why. Also, since this is the GI version, the front sight is not dovetailed in. I know that this narrows my options for sights later, but is it a major issue?

thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I have the same model RIA and it it my every day carry gun. A great weapon it is. I recommend runnin about 200rnds of hardball through it to smooth everything out. As far as the sights go they are made to pretty much the same specs as the 70's series colt so if you look up sights for it look for the 70's series. I know fusion firearms has some good sights for it including some night sights that will fit. I kept the GI sights on mine for yes before finally getting some 3 dot sights put on, honestly once you get used to the way yours shoots and the proper sight picture with GI sights it's pretty damned accurate for a cheap(in price) 1911. I highly recomend Ed brown parts if you replace any of the original parts, there are cheaper parts but the quality of the Ed brown parts is pretty much indisputable. Good luck sir and make sure to get some pics up when you get it.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
enjoy your new 1911. Good on you to commemorate your GrandFather and his service in that way
As a noob to the platform, is there any advice I need or some issues I need to keep in mind? I have read that some people feel that letting the slide fall on an empty chamber by using the slide release is a no-no, although I don't recall exactly why.
brass acts as a cushion between slide and chamber. I was taught to always let it slam when loading, but always guide it forward when empty. Occasional slam on empty probably do no harm, but as with anything mechanical a repeated beating could eventually hurt. Not like we are in a hurry when empty so why not be extra careful? To convince yourself, listen to the sound when slide falls on a casing, compare to slamming on empty. That comparison might convince you to make that the last time you do that to your gun (or anybody's gun for that matter)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You're infected now.

No cure.

Have fun! :D

Really though, learn to disassemble and reassemble it from scratch.
You'll get the hang of how everything works together.
Use it for a while before thinking about mods.
Should be a great shooter right out of the box.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You're infected now.

No cure.

I laughed because it's true. :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're infected now.

No cure.

lol this is what I am afraid of....if my AR-15 history repeats itself, I have just created yet another bottomless pit to throw my money into.

honestly, I am sincerely hoping that I fall in love with it the way most 1911 guys seem to. And I have to admit, from all the positive feedback that RIA gets online, my expectations are kinda high, even for the basic GI setup. I am hoping that it will satisfy my needs without me feeling the urge to sell my car and send a check to Wilson Combat anytime soon!

now, I just have to try to distract my mind from it until it arrives. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
enjoy your new 1911. Good on you to commemorate your GrandFather and his service in that waybrass acts as a cushion between slide and chamber. I was taught to always let it slam when loading, but always guide it forward when empty. Occasional slam on empty probably do no harm, but as with anything mechanical a repeated beating could eventually hurt. Not like we are in a hurry when empty so why not be extra careful? To convince yourself, listen to the sound when slide falls on a casing, compare to slamming on empty. That comparison might convince you to make that the last time you do that to your gun (or anybody's gun for that matter)
this certainly makes sense, and I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm jealous! A 1911 is my next purchase. I'm debating between a SA 1911 Operator and a Double Star 1911.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
1911, nothing else like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts