Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, fellas heres the deal. I finally got the wife to give me the go ahead to get my first XD. The problem is I still can't decide whether to go with the 40 or the 9. I've always been a big believer of the bigger is better which makes me lean towards the 40. I also know that ammo is cheap for the 9 which makes me lean that way. I've thought about getting the 40 and getting the 9 conversion barrell later, but I've always been a little leary about conversion kits and swapping out major components with non-factory parts. Heres what I need from yall. I need opinions from those of you that have both the 40 in the 9, preferably the service model. I want to know which one you like better and why. Also, I want to hear from those of you who have used the conversion barrels and how they worked for you and especially if they didn't. Help me please, if my day goes as planned, I am going to get it on my way home this afternoon so I can be at the range bright and early tommorrow morning. If not I may have to wait until tommorrow morning. Thanks in advance for all your help.

DAWG

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, I don't own either, but when I buy, I'm gonna get a .40 and then get the 9mm conversion barrel a month or so later... The best of both worlds. I believe you can get a .357 conversion barrel as well!

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I own the XD 40 Service and do not have a conversion bbl. I do feel that the XD is a very well built handgun. If I had it to do again, I would probably get the 9mm, since it is what the original design is for and others have had problems with 40. Not me but I would swap a 357 bbl before I would go 9mm. I feel that if you have a $100 or so $$'s to spend on an extra bbl, then just save and buy another handgun w/o having to swap out bbls.

·
Registered
782 Posts
9mm! The plinking ammo is cheaper and the good self-defense loads are powerful.

Plus, although I know many many people haven't had issues with their XD40, the ratio of problems with the XD heavily leans against the XD40.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i will make one point.

the whole get the 40 and get a 9 barrel
the difference between 9 and 40 ammo is 5 bucks if your talking wwb
barrel 150 bucks.. aka takes u 30 boxes or 3k rounds to just break even.

ehh not worth it to me.. unless ur gonna shoot alot.
i probably shoot 1k rounds a year through the xd.. so 3 yrs... ehh rather just spend a lil more

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Shot placement is more important. With a 9mm you wil shoot more and become more proficient, also wil be able to put more lead down range faster accurately. Modern 9mm defensive ammo has become much more capable over the past few years and there is not much advantage in using the .40 S&W from what I have read in recent magazine articles. With the 9mm you will also be able to carry more ammo. Three 9mm 125gr JHP in a tight group beat two .40 180 gr in wide group.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We can officially close this topic now. I just got back from getting a 40 service. I paid 479 for those who care. I can't wait to get it out on the range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.