Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellers,

Gotta vent for a bit here......

What gives???? Why does Federal Eagle .45GAP 185gr TMJ cartridges have such crappy power in them? I mean is it really that expensive to use what I would consider "normal" power for these rounds? Normal power to me would be roughly equivalent that used in WWB 9mm and Rem UMC 9mm. I went to the range today and shot only about 200 rounds thru my XD45.....get home to clean.....yyuuuuuuuuuuk!!

Late thought.........maybe if I shoot 300 rounds through my XD9 and then another 150 rounds through my XD45, my XD9 would be just as dirty?......the thinking being roughly double the power charge in the .45 than in the 9?

Okay.......I'm done. Thanks for tuning in.

:p

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Yup. 200 rds of any .45 ammo says "clean me"!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
DougXD said:
Late thought.........maybe if I shoot 300 rounds through my XD9 and then another 150 rounds through my XD45, my XD9 would be just as dirty?......the thinking being roughly double the power charge in the .45 than in the 9?
While I don't have any direct experience with reloading .45GAP (or what specific powder Federal, Winchester, or Remington is using for the various factory loads), my log book from reloading 9mm and .45ACP shows a range of 25 to 50% more powder in .45ACP than 9mm when using the same powder. Direct comparisons are somewhat rare, since I tend to use faster burning powders in .45ACP than in 9mm.

Edit: Based on various VV N320 and N340 recipes for .45GAP floating around the internet, .45GAP appears to use less of the same powder than .45ACP.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dont own a .45 *gasp*, but something to keep in mind is that the .45ACP is a low pressure round. This very fact alone lends to powder not burning as completely as it could in other calibers. I dont know if the GAP falls into the same pressure category or if it is already at high pressure to compensate for its smaller size. Food for thought anyhow- I might be way off base here.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you dont have to clean it after shooting it then your not shooting it enough :lol: .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts