Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I read my instruction book before I did anything. The XD makes takedown a real pleasure, but you still have to know how it's done.

PDX-XD
I have a nice 1" scratch on my slide to prove it. Every time I see it I just get mad.
A simple fix is one of those touch up pens for guns. I think the company is Birchwood Casey. Not sure how fine the point is, but with a steady hand and a series of careful light "dabs" the scratch will be less noticeable and you won't get your blood pressure up everytime you pick up your pistol. I would test the color match on a spot you don't see (inside surface) to see if this will match the finish of the XD. Someday you may want to refinish your pistol. (at your friend's expense) :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
pd40
my bro tried field stripping my XD and left the mag in. he said he had to tug it a bit to remove the slide, would this damage it in any way?
Hmmm, the pistol should have been checked for live rounds before takedown started. One of the steps is a "dryfire" and if this wasn't done and the slide was forced off then there could have been some damage done. I would have a gunsmith check it out.

Takedown procedure is always

1. Drop the mag
2. Check the chamber
3. Manually lock open the action
4. Check the chamber
5. Raise takedown lever
6. Close action (gently)
7. Dryfire
8. Remove slide forward off the frame.
9. Remove guide rod
10. Remove barrel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.