Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a question on just how durable these XD's are.. my bro tried field stripping my XD and left the mag in. he said he had to tug it a bit to remove the slide, would this damage it in any way?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The instructions say to remove the mag before field stripping it. I've never tried it with the mag in, but I imagine they want to you remove the mag first for a reason...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I made the mistake of letting somebody else field stip my XD when it was brand new. I have a nice 1" scratch on my slide to prove it. Every time I see it I just get mad.

Don't let somebody else "tug" on your gun in any way. Friend, brother, whatever... you paid for it, not them.

Check out the scratch just above the slide release. That happened when my friend tried to force the slide off without reading the directions. The gun was about 30 minutes old when that happened. :cry:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya there, no one else will screw with mah gun unless they know what they are doing lol

I did properly field strip it and inspect the interior parts, Im no gunsmith at all but nothing looks to be "out of place" or damaged.. although theres a nice scuff along the side of my slide from his tug, not a scratch but its noticeable

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you field strip an XD with a loaded magazine in it (even without a round currently in the chamber), you will commit a negligent discharge.

I'm sure you knew this already, but you never can be too careful. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
the gun community is very out going and will do whatever they can to hook each other up, but we also have a phrase in the military..

"quit finger F**King my stuff"

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I read my instruction book before I did anything. The XD makes takedown a real pleasure, but you still have to know how it's done.

PDX-XD
I have a nice 1" scratch on my slide to prove it. Every time I see it I just get mad.
A simple fix is one of those touch up pens for guns. I think the company is Birchwood Casey. Not sure how fine the point is, but with a steady hand and a series of careful light "dabs" the scratch will be less noticeable and you won't get your blood pressure up everytime you pick up your pistol. I would test the color match on a spot you don't see (inside surface) to see if this will match the finish of the XD. Someday you may want to refinish your pistol. (at your friend's expense) :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
pd40
my bro tried field stripping my XD and left the mag in. he said he had to tug it a bit to remove the slide, would this damage it in any way?
Hmmm, the pistol should have been checked for live rounds before takedown started. One of the steps is a "dryfire" and if this wasn't done and the slide was forced off then there could have been some damage done. I would have a gunsmith check it out.

Takedown procedure is always

1. Drop the mag
2. Check the chamber
3. Manually lock open the action
4. Check the chamber
5. Raise takedown lever
6. Close action (gently)
7. Dryfire
8. Remove slide forward off the frame.
9. Remove guide rod
10. Remove barrel

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had already done all of those above, and had it ready to be stored away in the safe, he asked me if he could take a look at it.. he said he didnt really have to put force on the slide to remove it but wasnt an easy glide like it should have been.. I talked with a friend of mine who is a veteran LEO and he said no damage should have been done but hes lucky there wasnt any rounds in the mag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts