Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...

Lately Ive seen a lot of decent buys on this website and on sites like www.gunbroker.com but it seems that many FFL dealers want to charge an arm and a leg to do a transfer. Usually $50 bucks! Kinda makes the "good deal" not much of a deal after paying that and shipping costs.

Can anyone recommend an FFL in Jacksonville that does a little bit better with the transfer costs?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hey! SSHHHHH!
I hope the FFL dealers around here don't read that. The avg cost to do a transfer in the Houston area is 10 to 30 bucks. They might want to start charging more.
Sorry about you plight.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bear_B said:
Kinda makes the "good deal" not much of a deal after paying that and shipping costs.
That's the point. These dealers want you to buy from them, not somewhere online. Yes, they make money the transfer paperwork, but that money isn't enough to offset sales lost to people checking out the guns in their shop and ordering them elsewhere. It comes down to the "support your local business" argument, but with one important twist: you NEED a local FFL, preferably a few of them, lest you be forced to deal with monopoly prices.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My dealer sells stuff online and has only ever charged me for one of the many transfers he has done for me. But I also buy from him. I always give him the first shot ( :D ) at getting what I want. If he can't then I get it somewhere else.

It is all about relationships.

The occasional bottle of Scotch that I bring him helps too. :wink:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I figure that if they can't sell something to the price that I can get it online after shipping and transfer fees then they don't deserve my business.

Another thing I was thinking, isn't it absolutely none of their business how much you paid for something or even if it was say a gift? Last time I checked, the bound book had no space for an item's value.

Anymore, dealers around here don't even want to order stuff for us, they'd rather make you pick from what they already have. Its just not right.

If you like older guns that classify as curios or relics, you could check into getting a C&R license, $30 for three years, helps you get a discount at stores too and no FFL transfer fees for C&R items! :)

H

·
0 Posts
I figure that if they can't sell something to the price that I can get it online after shipping and transfer fees then they don't deserve my business.
Not all retailers get the same merchandise for the same cost. Maybe if more people bought from the small brick and mortar businesses, they could compete with the online sellers. It all comes down to what is important to you. If you have absolutely no need for your local gun store, then I urge you to buy simply based on the lowest price. But if you ever ask them for advice, fondle their guns in the case, get them to special order some ammo, etc, then you should really consider supporting them with a gun purchase on occasion. Even if you have to spend a little more.

I'm not trying to pick on you, ampleworks, but this is coming from someone who owned a family business that didn't get supported by the community. :( Just a reminder to everyone who complains about small store prices, whether its guns, or nuts and bolts. We charged what we had to charge, to make a living. If their price is so high they don't "deserve" your business, then please don't complain when they go broke and lock the doors.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I know what you mean, man! They do the same thing hear in Waco. The last time I just had a guy in another town that I already knew of do it for 15 bucks. I used GunsAmerica's FFL finder but it wasn't that helpful. However, I recently looked at GunBroker's FFL dealer and it seems better and I've found a local guy who does transfers for cheap. Try it out for your area:

http://www.gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp

You could try GunsAmerica too but I found that not everyone they listed on there was actually an FFL. I called one guy and he was like "Huh? What are you talking about?"

Here's their link:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi

brad cook

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Damn I charge 10 bucks, I need to move where your at and chanrge 20 bucks, I am shure I would make a killing.

·
Registered
758 Posts
HAR HAR. The shops around here charge $100 per gun.

You have to go to the private FFL holders. You can find $25 if you look.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A friend of mine who has an FFL charges us (club members) $10 a transfer. Otherwise it's $15 for requests over the phone or $20 for walk-in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I pay $20. I have my usual FFL I go to and then I have another that I mostly just use for tranfers every now and then for convienence. My regular ffl is always very helpful weather it is a tranfer, buying a gun off him, or getting him to order me a gun. When I have him order a gun for me he usually shows me his cost and then charges me a little bit over to cover the shipping and tranfer. When I buy one that he has on hand he is always willing to make a deal on it. Sometimes he will throw in some ammo or cover the taxes and so on. Of course I have done alot of buisness with him so that might be why.

Another thing I like is when he gets a tranfer in for me or when he orders a gun for me the package stays sealed up until I get there so that I am the first to inspect it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It sounds like you guys have some rather friendly dealers in your area. I'm somewhat pissed at my local range/gun shop right now. Despite my membership there (which is supposedly good for a $10 discount) and a President's Day Sale, I couldn't get the shop to take more than $29 off of a used Kahr P9. I'm in the shop and spending money at least two or three times a week, and they fought tooth and nail to give me a price that was still bested by a local competitor. The guys in Wal-Mart's sporting goods department show more appreciation for my business! Call me crazy, but that's just bad business.

Sorry for the rant. This stuff just drives me nuts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do a flat fee of 15 bucks unless I have to go to extra trouble. Also provided payment is made up front, i'll order anything no matter the cost for $20. Sorry, Arkansas only!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts