Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any rails like the dd omega rail that just drop in without any modification the the gun?

im just trying to see whats out there, trying to get the best deal because i kinda dont want to pay 275+ for some rails...even though it looks like i might have to id just like some selcetion i guess

·
Registered
760 Posts
Midwest Industries and Troy both make drop in free floating rail systems. You will still need to cut off the delta ring but that's not difficult at all.

I own the MI rail but I've been disappointed with it. It's come lose twice on me despite using red loctite. Many others have had great things to say about it so I think I just got a bad one.

I'm replacing it with a Troy next week. We'll see how it goes.

The MI rail will run you around $165. The Troy will be around $230.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the DD Omega 7, I highly recommend it, very sturdy and you dont have to cut off your delta ring as said above. makes it a little bit better if you dont want to permanantely modify your AR.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "drop in"? Because to me "drop in" for rail systems are the 2 piece rails, which are not free float. MOST of the free float rail systems I've seen require a little bit more than just taking out the plastic handguards and putting the rails on. MOST of them require that you take your FSB or gas block (unless it's a micro or something that's meant to go under the rail) to get the free float rail system.

If you are looking for a rail system to just "drop in" with minimal tool usage, then I highly suggest the Samson MFR. 2 piece rails. Downside to them are they are not free float. Unless you are going to mount optics on your handguard, then you really don't need a free float... But that's just my humble opinion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
760 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "drop in"? Because to me "drop in" for rail systems are the 2 piece rails, which are not free float. MOST of the free float rail systems I've seen require a little bit more than just taking out the plastic handguards and putting the rails on. MOST of them require that you take your FSB or gas block (unless it's a micro or something that's meant to go under the rail) to get the free float rail system.

If you are looking for a rail system to just "drop in" with minimal tool usage, then I highly suggest the Samson MFR. 2 piece rails. Downside to them are they are not free float. Unless you are going to mount optics on your handguard, then you really don't need a free float... But that's just my humble opinion.

Good luck!
Actually the two systems I mentioned above are 100% free floating and are "drop in" rails which don't require the removal of the front sight base.

They are both available at Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories. if you want to check them out. Model numbers: MI#20 & Troy MRFCM4. Daniel Defense makes a drop in free floating rail too called their "Omega" rail.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Right, but by looking at it, if you have a FSB/gas block and you remove the plastic handguards, you still have a handguard cap (which you don't need to remove) that's not being used for anything. Eventually you will get sick of it and want to remove it. Even though the weight of the cap isn't that great, it's still unwanted weight. To remove this, then it won't be considered a straight "drop in"... I think a majority of the people that buy these will realize that as soon as they "drop in" these rails. I know my friend did the moment he put them on his AR, so we ended up removing his FSB and gas tube just to get the cap off. We could've also dremeled it out, but we wanted to save the piece just incase he wanted to put it back to "stock" configuration.

So, if you think about it, it's not really a "drop in". Unless you don't care about that cap being there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot for the posts....very helpfull..

i really dont plan on putting optics on the handguards, but i would want to at least put on a vertical grip and maaaybe a light.

would those two items by chance affect the accuracy by any chance?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the two systems I mentioned above are 100% free floating and are "drop in" rails which don't require the removal of the front sight base.

They are both available at Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories. if you want to check them out. Model numbers: MI#20 & Troy MRFCM4. Daniel Defense makes a drop in free floating rail too called their "Omega" rail.

actually i read the specs on the midlength MI rail.....
"These AR15 Mid Length handguards provide a modular platform for mounting of tactical accessories such as vertical grips, laser sights, LAMs, flashlights, sling mounts, bipods, and optics. These handguards simply snap in place of your standard plastic handguards and lock up tight! Because of this easy installation, they can be easily removed when cleaning and maintaining the rifle. (This is not a free float design)."

Edit- excuse myself for being blind and stupid....i misread your post and looked at the wrong item haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts