Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been carrying a Shield every day and shot a friends XDS 9mm. I really liked the trigger and the fact there was not a thumb safety. I picked one up today and proceeded to put 200 rounds through it. Absolutely loved it! Great trigger, built well, incredibly accurate.

I was cleaning it after the range trip and noticed this small dent/gouge on the ramp. I can't really think of anything that'd contact that area - and don't remember it when I looked over the pistol at the store.

Something to be concerned with?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I've been carrying a Shield every day and shot a friends XDS 9mm. I really liked the trigger and the fact there was not a thumb safety. I picked one up today and proceeded to put 200 rounds through it. Absolutely loved it! Great trigger, built well, incredibly accurate.

I was cleaning it after the range trip and noticed this small dent/gouge on the ramp. I can't really think of anything that'd contact that area - and don't remember it when I looked over the pistol at the store.

I have a Witness .40 that has a place like that, and it has not been a problem. Mine was there from jump street. Yours probably was too but I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse. Or, if it really bothers you, call SA and see what they say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice - that was the plan. It doesn't appear to be a crack, just a small dent.

I do have to say this, I should have gotten this XDS from the start for EDC. I was very surprised by the trigger out of the box, audible and tactile trigger rest, balance, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn't look right. I own two XDS, and none of them has it.
I have several friends with them and they don't have it either.

My guess is it's a machining mark of some kind. Considering how hard the steel is in the slide, I can't imagine anything in the process of firing could do that.

I emailed some pictures to SA and I'll see what they say.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Here is a pic of my Witness .40 that has the same type of divot. I have over 1000 rounds thru it with no problems. The place isn't cracked and doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm curious about your preference for the XDs over the Shield. Is it just the lack of a thumb safety on the XDs? I have an XDs .45 (post) and I think the trigger is crap; stiff and long. I don't have a Shield but, I hear their trigger is allot nicer that than the XDs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a Shield & could not rack the slide to lock it back. I could load it but it was a monster to clean & take apart. I heard this from a lot of people . It was not great shooting for me either. I have tried a lot of small 9's & have not found one to compare with my XDs 9.

I sold the Shield quick & bought an SR9C, & I could rack & shoot it & my LC9 but neither were as good as my XDs 9. I can shoot a 21 shot 3" group at 25' & that is fine for an old man.

I put Talon grips, Pearce mag extensions (cut down ) & Big Dot sights & it is my favorite 9 carry gun. I do have my forth CCW. I like it better than my PPK 380. The PPK is harder to rack & has more recoil because it is a blowback.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm curious about your preference for the XDs over
the Shield. Is it just the lack of a thumb safety on the XDs? I have an XDs .45 (post) and I think the trigger is crap; stiff and long. I don't have a Shield but, I hear their trigger is allot nicer that than the XDs.
The shield has a better trigger, it is a bit heavy almost like the XDS, but it is cleaner and crispy, after installing the PRP spring kit on my XDS it got a lot better, it came down form 7lb to 5lb

I had a Shield & could not rack the slide to lock it back. I could load it but it was a monster to clean & take apart. I heard this from a lot of people . It was not great shooting for me either. I have tried a lot of small 9's & have not found one to compare with my XDs 9.
Oher than a heavy trigger pull, I have no complains of my shield, it is a great ccw, very nice shooter, accurate, I haven't had any issues like the ones you mentioned on mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the picture of your Witness. I put another 250 rounds through it today with no issues.

I think the XDS trigger is better than the Shield. The Shield felt like a long pull and mushy reset. The XDS is the complete opposite to me. The XDS is a tad heavier, but I like that - and the little things they did different, such as the polished feed ramp, fiber optic front site, carrying case, etc.

What I hated about the Shield was the thumb safety. Id carry with it off, but it'd rub against my holster and found that the safety would move. That was a turn off for an EDC pistol for me. I really liked the different setup on the Springfield.

I would trust my life to a Shield or XDS. I just prefer the XDS.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I own a shield and use it for a carry gun. I have had no problems and it has been flawless. Can't say that about other brands I have owned. I did purchase a XDS 45 today as I was wanting a small 45 carry for cooler months. I am hoping I have the same good luck with it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
nmx. I think the Shield was fine but it was just me & very weak old wrists. There were some other people on the Shield Forum that had the same problem with very hard slide rack. It probably doesn't bother you young kids under 70.

The XDs 9 does have a very easy slide rack for a small 9. It is really easier than my PPK 380 & so is the recoil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would agree, the slide was hard at first on my Shield. I just had to shoot the heck out of it.

In time, it became easier to manipulate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a bit OCD when it comes to a carry pistol. One of my rules is that I wont carry it everyday until I have 1000 rounds through it. That gives me plenty of time to master it, the pistol to break in, or any issues to arise.

With that being said, I am going to break that rule and carry this xds now. I have 500 rounds through it and it keeps getting better and better. It is a tack driver for me. After 250 rounds today, my hand felt fine, no issues running that many rounds in 90 mins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a pic of my Witness .40 that has the same type of divot. I have over 1000 rounds thru it with no problems. The place isn't cracked and doesn't get worse.

I have 450 rounds through mine and upon inspection, the "divot" hasn't changed at all - no cracks or change to it.

I appreciate your advice and feedback early on in this thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to give a quick update. I emailed pictures to Springfield and they told me the divot should not cause any short or long-term issues with the pistol. They told me if I noticed any changes to it over time to call them.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Just checked both of mine and neither have that indentation.
I'd call SA and ask them about it. Get an email address maybe
and send them the pic and see what they say.
Dano

I see you did that. I'd shoot the heck out of it ever chance I got
and it you don't have any problems you can attribute to it, I'd
not worry about it anymore. The XDs is a great CCW. Love both
of mine.
Dano

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I have 450 rounds through mine and upon inspection, the "divot" hasn't changed at all - no cracks or change to it.

I appreciate your advice and feedback early on in this thread.
You're quite welcome. Hopefully neither one of ours will ever cause a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're quite welcome. Hopefully neither one of ours will ever cause a problem.
If they do, there is always a Warranty Dept. to contact :D

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
If they do, there is always a Warranty Dept. to contact :D
So true. Thankfully I bought mine brand new and have a lifetime warranty on it, as I know you do with SA. I'm hoping my grandkids will shoot it one day, as I don't plan on getting rid of any more weapons. I already regret the ones I did sell.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts