Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am driving down I5 with my xd and my wifes 38 unloaded and locked in a safe at my feet.This sinks, I've been carrying every day for the last year or so and now I can't even have my gun readily accessible. This will be a long few days!

·
Registered
308 Posts
So here I am driving down I5 with my xd and my wifes 38 unloaded and locked in a safe at my feet.This sinks, I've been carrying every day for the last year or so and now I can't even have my gun readily accessible. This will be a long few days!
Try doing a drill in your driveway, have your wife as passenger and you time how long it takes to get your HG out and loaded. No matter how long it takes, it's good to know. Use snap caps to be safe.

I presume you can get in the safe while driving if necessary for SD? If not (i.e. under the driver's seat) then you truly are tactically naked! Can you carry any non-lethal stuff - OC, Tac light, stun gun?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The safe is at my feet were I can get to it, but not fast enough for comfort.I do have my light and pocket knife.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I know how you feel. A few years ago we took a trip to Yosemite. Carried all the way to the border and had to disarm. I didn't quite follow the complete rules about emptying the mags and they were the 12 round ones too. I was very careful they couldn't shift around back there and knew exactly where to reach to come up with two hands full of self defense equipment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a bit of a wake up call, before I started to carry all the time I wouldn't have thought twice about it.I didn't think I was that unaware before but I guess I was.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The safe is at my feet were I can get to it, but not fast enough for comfort.I do have my light and pocket knife.
What I'm saying, though, is a lot of 'SD' is anticipation and not raw speed.

Know how long certain moves take and like a video game, time them to arrive when needed. This is part of 'functionalizing' your game. Force on force, alive training, SA, anticipating and flow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts

Know how long certain moves take and like a video game, time them to arrive when needed. This is part of 'functionalizing' your game. Force on force, alive training, SA, anticipating and flow.

Good luck!
Not to throw water on this but if you have time to stop, unlock, look for mags, etc, you probably have time to evade the area as well. Kalif is a **** hole to live in, but it's not like every tree has a gangbanger behind waiting to jump you. I know, I have lived here much of my life. Stay away from places you shouldn't go after dark, always be vigilant. There are a few counties w/ ample CCW permits, not much goes on in those counties.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I'll be having to do some business on the left coast soon and kinda dread having to spend a few weeks out there. I plan on making sure I have some pepper spray and anything else I discover is legal to carry out there. But, in the mean time, I'll be brushing up on my SA skills.

You may want to look at the next few days as a "Live" training exercise; where you MUST depend on your SA skills to be "aware" of possible danger and "avoid" trouble.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Criminals don't obey laws by their very nature. You, as law-abiding citizens, unload and case your weapons, putting yourselves at risk. At the end of the day some misguided lawmakers feel good because they think they made the world a safer place. So sad.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I lived in and aroumd Fresno for 5 or 6 years. The crime is extremely and there. Adding insult to injury is the weak judges & penal code. They needed 3 strikes to get some criminals off of the street.

From my perspective, every legit citizen should be armed. It would make the state safer. Glad that I'm not there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so we made it to LA without incident. Tomorrow we fly to Vegas for a few days, then we start the trip back to Oregon. Next year I get to plan the vacation and it will include states that honor Oregons CHL. In the meantime this is a good live drill as was stated already.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Good luck!
I don't know where You live. But My state is right to carry state, But borders cali. So I have to go there from time to time. The ammo and Firearm have to be( I'm pretty sure of this law, Unless I'm confusing it with NJ. Never the less it's the same) In separate Parts of the vehicle. On My key chain is a trunk pop open button, and on the left of the steering wheel as well. I practiced over and over with My wife timing Me. I can pop the trunk and run to it, load a 357 Mag in 5 to 7 seconds. This Isn't counting other weapons I've practiced with. It also doesn't count My Surefire E2D LED with skull crushing crenulated bezel( Just shining My super bright LED light has diffused a few situations in My life. Bangers think You're a Cop when You shine a bright ass light at them, or at least You're carrying. I don't know ANY people AT ALL that carry a bright light EDC except for Cops and Citizens who pack Heat). And legal sized pocket knives I know how to use. AND it ESPECIALLY doesn't count for SITUATIONAL AWARENESS and ESCAPE and EVASION if possible.

Just My .02. Since I have experience living in a RIGHT TO CARRY state, and I Live on the Border of a Fascist state."Ihre Papiere bitte".

But Yosemite is worth it. That's Gods country.

Good Luck on Your Adventures.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't know where You live. But My state is right to carry state, But borders cali. So I have to go there from time to time. The ammo and Firearm have to be( I'm pretty sure of this law, Unless I'm confusing it with NJ. Never the less it's the same) In separate Parts of the vehicle. On My key chain is a trunk pop open button, and on the left of the steering wheel as well. I practiced over and over with My wife timing Me. I can pop the trunk and run to it, load a 357 Mag in 5 to 7 seconds.
I'm not the OP but responding. Bear in mind that you might have been shot, so your wife also needs to practice accessing and deploying.

Good job, though on the timed run through, that's the way to do it. I'm in Va where we can carry open or concealed in the car with a CHL. My partner and i both carry, discuss tactics and strategy and back each other up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not the OP but responding. Bear in mind that you might have been shot, so your wife also needs to practice accessing and deploying.

Good job, though on the timed run through, that's the way to do it. I'm in Va where we can carry open or concealed in the car with a CHL. My partner and i both carry, discuss tactics and strategy and back each other up.
Very VERY true. I didn't post it because my post was getting a little long winded. But My wife( Thank God) Loves to shoot and train as well. She's also a Female Krav Maga instructor with a CCW. So We train in the "Combat Arts" together as other couples might ride bikes on a bike trail or whatever. We're very lucky in that respect.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Many years ago I felt naked in Cal, but I was at Blacks Beach:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts