Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals!

I'm positive that this subject has been addressed a lot, but it's been a while since I've posted and I have pictures. I figured we all like pictures so I decided to post this thread/ask a question.

I have two XD45 pistols and each show the same problem. The rounds nose dive in the magazine body or on the lower-end on the feed ramp. I have tried FOUR different factory 13 round mags and each has had this problem. Each of these mags has 200-300 rounds through them each.

My thinking is, if it is happening with both pistols with good mags then it probably is an ammo issue.

My ammo:
230gr. lead round nose
5.4 gr. of Unique
mixed cases
win. primers
OAL: 1.257" (I know I'm within the OAL min/max dimensions)
ave. velocity: 862fps

I've used this load for my two 1911 pistols and have never had a problem.

*Also, the earth/tan framed XD45 I just recently bought used. The guy I bought it from I've known for 23 years. He's known for running his handloads a little hot. Anyway, the 13 round mag he gave me with the pistol has a little protrusion on it. The mag body is slightly bulging out at the rear of the mag near the feed lips. I know this issue has been addressed before. It's from running +P ammo through it, right?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions on these issues!

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
dumb question, but are you tapping the mag on a hard surface before you insert it?

my xd never had a failure to feed, its a very solid system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually make a habit of tapping the mag before insertion. However, I doubt if that’s the problem. I’m assuming that as rounds are fired the recoil will move the rounds in the mag a little anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi rocket6r,
your problem can probably be fixed with new magaizne springs,
but the root cause is that the breechface of the XD was not designed to handle a cartridge with a case diameter of the 45ACP. this is why the SWC profile bullets don't work well in the 45 platform, and the same contact which causes stoppages with the SWC is goofing up your XD with round nose. in the third picture of your post, you can see where the extracting case has hit the bullet and case mouth and bounced the loaded round nose-downward...(see the two shiney scrape marks) the mag spring have lost some of it's strength and could not get the round fed up in time before the slide came forward to feed the next round. the new mag spring should fix your problem with the round nose profile but it unfortunately will not fix our problem with SWC's. do a search for swc jamming and see my picture which should clear up what i'm saying, and provide insight as to why the bulge is at the back of the mag also.

45 SWC Jamming - post #19 ( the 1000 WORDS) and #58 (the ONE PICTURE)

straightshooter

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
straightshooter, I read your posts, great work! I had actually wondered some time ago about the contact marks on the first round in the magazine. I figured the empty case had been striking the first live round in the mag. However, I did not put two and two together. So, it appears then that the empty case is driving the live round into the mag. I'm really starting to wonder about the design flaw(s) with the XD45 series of pistols.

These mags that I have, have a limited round count through them. I'm not convinced that putting in new spring will help. Also, I wonder if I put a tighter taper crimp on the rounds if it may help cure the problem, less exposed mouth of the case to hang up on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I educated myself some more. It appears that extra power springs might be the solution. I just ordered 6 AGP mag. springs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does this happen with factory ammo too or just hand loads?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
straightshooter, I read your posts, great work! I had actually wondered some time ago about the contact marks on the first round in the magazine. I figured the empty case had been striking the first live round in the mag. However, I did not put two and two together. So, it appears then that the empty case is driving the live round into the mag. I'm really starting to wonder about the design flaw(s) with the XD45 series of pistols.

These mags that I have, have a limited round count through them. I'm not convinced that putting in new spring will help. Also, I wonder if I put a tighter taper crimp on the rounds if it may help cure the problem, less exposed mouth of the case to hang up on.
buy some factory loads and see if it still happens... if it doesn't then the issue is most likely that your handloads are out of spec somehow. Too many of us here have put too many rounds through our XD45s for it to be an inherent design flaw

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this happen with factory ammo too or just hand loads?
It's happened once or twice with Win. white box fmj ammo as well as my handloads. That was several months ago with the factory Win. ammo and I dismissed it. However, I now think it's not the ammo, but rather a mag./pistol design issue.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
It's happened once or twice with Win. white box fmj ammo as well as my handloads. That was several months ago with the factory Win. ammo and I dismissed it. However, I now think it's not the ammo, but rather a mag./pistol design issue.
its not a design issue, there are too many of them that do what they are supposed to do everytime for it to be a design flaw. Did you check the magazine springs as was suggested?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered 6 AGP mag. springs. Although I think my OEM springs are in spec. Again, it (mis-feed issue) has happened to four of my 13 rounds factory mags. These mags have a low round count through them. If it was one mag then I would say it was an isolated incident with that particular mag, but that's not the case.

I'm not trying to bash the XD design, but after reading straightshooter's posts one start to question things. I want my two XD45 pistols to work. I have too much time and money invested in the two pistols, extra mags and gear to want to give up on them. BUT, they better run right. I use them for protecting me and my family. One pistol is in the house and the other is in my vehicle (CCW permit).

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
definitely understand that you expect them to run right, and I am honestly at a loss to explain whats happening, I know that mine has been flawless for around 700 rounds and others here have had several 1000 issue free rounds through theirs. It is a very dependable gun, but like everything else that is man made, may generate some lemons every now and again

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like the cartridge is too short. Alliant Powders shows the minimum OAL at 1.270 for the 230 LRN bullet. Max OAL is 1.275.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like the cartridge is too short. Alliant Powders shows the minimum OAL at 1.270 for the 230 LRN bullet. Max OAL is 1.275.
Are you sure you are looking at the minimum OAL or just the OAL length for a particular load? I can assure you that 1.270" is not the industry min. OAL for a LRN or RN bullet. One leading source that I have stated 1.200" OAL is the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The example was intended to show that you have some leeway in lengthening your OAL. But rereading the posts you said that it also happened with WWB so the cartridge length isn't an issue. Disregard the post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had always thought that 1.25" was max. for the 45 acp. Oh well, I load by lead 230 gr. at 1.20" because anything longer (with lead) gave me problems. Try making them a little shorter, that worked for me.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I learned about OAL by having reloads like the LSWC that would chamber but you could never open the slide again manually because they were too long and the lead shoulder would jam against the rifling.

It would SHOOT ok, but you had to shoot it to get the chamber empty.

Finally figured out my OAL was too long.
I think this is common with LSWC, you have to seat the bullet so the shoulder just barely comes out of the shell. Same thing with my Colt Gold Cup with bullseye (target) loads.

With fully jacketed reloads, none of my XDs had any problem, so I must have lucked out in setting my OAL the first time.

I use 1.200 for 200 grain jacketed flat nose bullets from Montana Gold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just ordered 6 AGP mag. springs. Although I think my OEM springs are in spec. Again, it (mis-feed issue) has happened to four of my 13 rounds factory mags. These mags have a low round count through them. If it was one mag then I would say it was an isolated incident with that particular mag, but that's not the case.

I'm not trying to bash the XD design, but after reading straightshooter's posts one start to question things. I want my two XD45 pistols to work. I have too much time and money invested in the two pistols, extra mags and gear to want to give up on them. BUT, they better run right. I use them for protecting me and my family. One pistol is in the house and the other is in my vehicle (CCW permit).
Try the AGP springs...they'll probably work,I think the mag springs from the factory are weak, And stick with LRN's or something simular,for cast lead bullets. You should'nt have any problems with JHP's after the AGP spring install... I've gott them installed in my mags and they work...No more light strikes after the AGP spring installation..

·
Registered
706 Posts
I believe whole heartedly that recoil causes this. Here's my hypothesis. Stationary rounds in a stationary pistol... The pistol fires, and recoil forces it back and up. Rounds, equally and oppositely, are forced down. Since their mass is concentrated at the front, the nose falls. The slide gets to the round before the mag spring pushes back up, and you have a nose dive failure to feed.

Extra power springs keep the nose dive to a minimum, and force the rounds to the correct position faster.

I'd also guess this is less prevelent with lighhter bullets.

I posted this before, and nobody agreed. I was told I was limp wristing, and I needed to practice. When I asked how it was that an AGP spring hellped, when the cause was my limp wrist, and the thread went silent...

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/81079-recoil-causes-nose-dives.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same type of problem with a Walther I had,No matter what I tried it just hated lead Bullets and would damage the Nose due to the edge of the Feed Ramp hitting the center of the Bullet.
I changed to FMJ and They worked fine,Also Hollow Points had no problem either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts