Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the name of that round federal came out with that opens up into tungsten wires?

I saw it on an auction once and can't seem to find it again.

I guess it was made for airline pilots. Rather than expand, the shell of the round disintegrates and out shoot this roto rooter prong looking set up. It's supposed to bore a cavity the width of a tennis ball.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That's all BS. The round is made for no such thing. It was simply some kind of safe round for indoor target shooting.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nickle1 said:
It didn't look like a target round. It looked pretty nasty. The box was marked LE only.
I know exactly what you're talking about. The hype put forth by the people selling that stuff on Gunbroker and whatnot is BS. That's not what it's made for. I know it looks nasty.

It's called Federal Ballisticlean. It's made with stranded zinc that breaks up when it hits metal targets and it's made especially for training:

BallistiClean is available in our jacketed, stranded zinc core bullet– designed to break up on hard targets–and in our Close Quarter Training (CQT) round. CQT bullets breakup immediately upon contact with metal targets, significantly reducing ricochet and backsplash danger.
Scroll down to "Federal Ballisticlean" on this page:
Ballisticlean Link.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yeah, it looks deadly when it's all nice and packaged up and bent out straight from the shell (which is not what Federal is intending it to look like) but I guaranty you if you shot it out of a gun terminal performance would be very low. The stuff is made to basically disintegrate.

If a major company like Federal made an actual defensive round that was supposed to claw out that big and penetrate like that they'd be severely demonized and sued by the same types that jumped all over Black Talon ammo.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Anonymous said:
This is the stuff Airline Pilots use. So lethal that Law Enforcement is not permitted to use it (see sticker on outer case). This stuff does not wound--it cores! Call it the ultimate "Roto-Rooter Round". The jacketed bullet is made of zinc wire that begins to unwind upon impact. Two inches in, the outer wires break off and create their own wound channels. The core then begins to open and continues another 4 to 5" creating a tennis-ball size cavity.
Wow...guy is just bald-faced lying.

brad cook

1 - 8 of 8 Posts