Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran five of these loads through my XD9 at that range last week. The first shot I actually flinched at the muzzle flash--it was WAY more than I was used to shooting regular range round (Winchester FMJs). At first I thought I had simply had a brain fart. :shock: But I kept firing and, sure enough, the Hydra-Shoks flashed like nothing I had seen out of a 9mm before. I thought Personal Defense loads actually were supposed to have LESS flash(?) Is this normal, something any of you have observed, or is something else going on? BTW--I fired 15 WinFMJs after that, and it was back to normal. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JD McDorce said:
Which flavor of 9mm Hydra-Shok were you using? On the non-LE side, they offer 124gr, 147gr, and 135gr (with the 135 being Low Recoil).
I was using the 124gr loads.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still wondering about the muzzle flash. I ran a few more of the Hydra-Shoks through the gun over the weekend and was still astounded at the flash. It is WAY more flash than I get with standard FMJ range rounds. Any comments/ideas?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I noticed the same thing when shooting outside in light dim enough to just discern an IDPA target using night sights. Muzzle flash totally destroyed my night vision and it would take 3 or 4 seconds to reacquire the target. I was using the 124 gr also.

I have been collecting various brands and weights of defense ammo and hope to conduct an accuracy and muzzle flash test with my service and my sub to see which cartridge will be the best all-around for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okgr8outdrs said:
I have been collecting various brands and weights of defense ammo and hope to conduct an accuracy and muzzle flash test with my service and my sub to see which cartridge will be the best all-around for me.
Looking forward to the results--seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of "personal defense" ammo if, at the first shot, your night vision is blown to hell. Hmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
okgr8outdrs said:
I noticed the same thing when shooting outside in light dim enough to just discern an IDPA target using night sights. Muzzle flash totally destroyed my night vision and it would take 3 or 4 seconds to reacquire the target. I was using the 124 gr also.

Close one eye, then use both to re-aquire target. I know, sounds alot easier then it is, especially in competition.
The 124gr has a "hot" charge, from what I have read, and heard from salesman is that the charge is set to the heavier load, they didn't tone it down for the lighter loads.
A shorter barrel will give more flash. I use this ammo in my Ruger 9mm carbine, not much flash at all. Some of the +P+ out ther gives a good show!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The other night when it was getting past dusk, I was having a blast shooting my XD40 in my back field. At the moment I was using Blazer 180gr. When my brother came home I asked him to come out with me and we'd try some 180gr Hornady loads. I told him that I wanted him to help me figure out if there was much of a difference concerning reduced muzzle flash with Hornady. Well first I shot a Blazer and sure enough what I was used to it had plenty of muzzle flash, (it was just FMJ target ammo anyway) but then immidiately after I shot a Hornady. WOW!!! It was literally night and day difference (or maybe I should say day and night difference :) ). It was really amazing to see how little muzzle flash the Hornady had. Try it for yourself in 9mm - I think you really be amazed too.

P.S. Has anyone tried Speer Gold Dot?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just the other night I decided to try out a few other loads with my XD40 for muzzle flash.
Here are the results on a scale of 1-10 of an informal study:

Hornady 180gr Performed excellently and superior to all other loads tested in low light. Hardly any muzzle flash. I would give it a 2.

Speer Gold Dot 165gr Not much muzzle flash but definitely more than Hornady. I would give it a 5.

Federal Hydra-shok 135gr More muzzle flash than others, I would give it a 7.

Blazer Brass 180gr Definite muzzle flash (this is not a defense load) I would rate it at 8 as Federal wasn't a whole lot better than it.

Then the next day- in the light I tested the same loads for expansion and performance - again a very informal test. I used a 5 gal pail filled with sand and fired at a distance of 10 yrds. Here are the results:

Speer Gold Dot 165gr Very nice reliable expansion (this is a bonded bullet -VERY NICE) and weight retention. It unfolded almost perfectly to give me a very nice mushroom and landed on the other side (inside of the bucket)

Federal Hydra-shock 135gr Very nice expansion although it is not a bonded bullet so it did start to seperate from the jacket - appearing as though it may have lost some weight retention -not much.

Hornady 180gr XTP (not the new TAP even though it's loaded with the same bullet) I was having trouble trying to get this bullet to expand as I fired into the sand. I did get one to expand though the expansion wasn't impressive at all. Neither did it seem to have quite as much penetration. The penetration factor could be due to the fact that it is a heavier bullet traveling at lower velocities. Again this was informal testing - I did see one in Handguns magazine a few weeks ago that had been recovered from a criminal and it seemed to be a nice reliable mushroom -though not expanded as much as some of the other bullets they showed.

Any comments please post!

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is a list of the ammo I have collected so far: (9mm)

Speer Gold Dot 115 gr GDHP
Eldorado Starfire 124 gr JHP
CorBon 115 gr +P JHP
Winchester Silvertip 147 gr JHP
Hornady TAP 147 gr FPD
Hornady 115 gr JHP/XTP
Winchester White Box 115 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger +P+ 115 gr JHP

Wish I had a chrono, a few more boxes to try and an evening at an outdoor range when the temps aren't pushing triple digits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts