Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear Federal is not shipping any 50 round boxes of HST or Hydra-Shok except with a PO from a Police department. Go look online, you CAN NOT find it!
This from TDS:
Some news............
Were heading to S.H.O.T this year (we have no choice) to try to find new distributors who can supply what we need. I have a meeting with Federal reps over the new policy that threatens to cut everyone out of the ammo - Federal refuses to ship HST, HydraShok, Gold Dot 50 round boxes, even Speer Lawman hardball to distributors and dealers.
In order to buy this ammo a department P.O. has to go directly to Federal and they will ship to the department.

The top volume distributor in the US has multiple millions in this ammo stuck on the shelf afraid to ship for fear of loosing their Federal distributor status.

If this stands, there will be none of this ammo available to individual officers and definitely not law abiding citizens.
Federal is not accepting any emails until Jan 5. This is their website message:
To allow our employees time with family and friends we will be closed until the 5th of January 2009. To better manage the volume of email we will not be taking email from the websites until we return from the Holidays.
Please contact us with your emails beginning the morning of Monday, January 5th 2009.
I think their email should be overloaded on Jan 5. Do you all agree?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I hear Federal is not shipping any 50 round boxes of HST or Hydra-Shok except with a PO from a Police department. Go look online, you CAN NOT find it!
This from TDS:

Federal is not accepting any emails until Jan 5. This is their website message:

I think their email should be overloaded on Jan 5. Do you all agree?
According to CTD they are limiting to LEO only.

"Law Enforcement Sales Only. Please email [email protected] to purchase this ammunition."

That's odd in that most people recommend using whatever your local police use for self defense ammo to avoid certain liability issues. I guess I'll need to hoard the HS that I have left....or just choose another brand.

It's not the best on the market anymore, anyway.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
It's in stock at my local gun shop.
Same here, I usually buy from them anyways. In fact, I've never even seen HST in 20 round packaging.

I'll just buy a different brand if Federal goes through with it. I'll send them a written letter (along with an email) with my disapproval, along with a notice that I will no longer be purchasing ANY Federal ammo, including any partner companies.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Federal has always told us dealers that they will release the HST to the general market after the ammo shortage is over.

Federal has never actively went after dealers who have been selling it to non Government folks. Until this year anyway. Winchester has always been strict with their Ranger line of ammo.

It seems like we have hit bottom after five years of Government ammo shortages. I'm not talking about the ammo you guys buy from Wang Mart, Dicks or any other commercial sales ammo.

Federal finally noticed that they are making ammo for their Tactical line but still are getting complaints from Government Agencies that they can not get ammo.

Now all they have to do is plug the leaks Like Florida Bullet Co, TDS, and MAH Supplies until the back orders are filled and dealer stock is full. I did not mention names of the other dealers that are selling it, you never know who is reading this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Apparently Federal thinks they can stay in business off Police business alone...

I don't think it's just "police" business. A buddy of mine is spending his 2 yrs mandatory on the US/Mexico border in Border Patrol, a department that recently increased their numbers to 18,000. FLETC, their training camp in Georgia, reportedly has one of the country's best arms training instructors and facilities.

Across the board in the DHS they're increasing numbers, according to what I've heard. I, for one, just recently passed the written exam for US Customs Officer, which is another department that is staffing heavily.

Combine that with the recent election and its implications, as well as the general state of this "global economy", in addition to the purpose of any business is to make money (i.e. "profit"), and it's not hard to see why any company would go where the money is.

Seems to follow that Ammo manufacturers will flock to federally funded organizations. The rest of what I was going to say is all political, so I'll spare you all my ramblings. ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just called Streicher's number and here's what they told me...

Demand outpaced supply. Federal was backed up 8 months or longer, but now they're back down to 4-6 months. They have 500 cases on order, and have an expected ship date either by Dec 31st (this year) or sometime in January.

I also asked him about this rumor that HST rounds are being restricted to LEO, and his reply is ONLY THE +P+ HST are being restricted to LEO!

Cool, eh?

I think now I'm going to go shovel the additionl 5 FLIPPIN INCHES OF SNOW we just got here in the northwest. *grumble grumble grumble*

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Just buy something else. WWSXT, Ranger, Rem.GS., SpeerGD. There isn't that much diff. between all the majors when it comes to JHP ammo. An inch +/- of penetration & 0.05" +/- of expansion. Find another load that works in your pistol. Lay in a useable supply & shoot it sparingly.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just buy something else. WWSXT, Ranger, Rem.GS., SpeerGD. There isn't that much diff. between all the majors when it comes to JHP ammo. An inch +/- of penetration & 0.05" +/- of expansion. Find another load that works in your pistol. Lay in a useable supply & shoot it sparingly.:rolleyes:
Your right, but it is such a pain in the butt! I'm sure i'm like most of us. I DON'T just do 1 box through each gun and call it "good for my personal defense." I've done as little as 200 over several sessions with fmj thrown in to guarantee each gun likes to eat the ammo, but what a pain it is. :mad:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wow this is irritating. I wondered why an order I placed mid-December for HST 45+p was canceled. Good to know that when it's my ass on the line I won't be able to obtain the most effective cartridge available.

I run DoubleTap 124 Speer Gold Dot's through my 9's. I was hoping to run the HST 45+p through a recently acquired 45 but it looks that isn't going to happen. Maybe I'll run DoubleTap in the 45 too...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts