Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out today that a relative of mine works for Federal and can get me ammo very cheap. He gets my uncle 223 ammo for $3 per box of 20. Next time he sees him he is going to ask about 40 S&W for me.

My uncle said he has never had a problem with any of it. Any one else used stuff like this before?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You'll have to send me a few boxes so I can provide some "expert" opinion. I need some 9mm and 45 ACP. :)

But seriously, not sure what makes an ammo be considered as seconds - bad packaging, nicks on the brass? Anything other than superficial I would be wary. Too much unknown and potential liability I think.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
You'll have to send me a few boxes so I can provide some "expert" opinion. I need some 9mm and 45 ACP. :)

But seriously, not sure what makes an ammo be considered as seconds - bad packaging, nicks on the brass? Anything other than superficial I would be wary. Too much unknown and potential liability I think.
If it was that much of a liability, Federal wouldn't let it out the door. It would be reclaimed and returned into the cycle.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My uncle said from what he has received, he can't tell the difference. And I guess the 223 he got were hollow points for hunting. And he told me he also got 250 shotgun shells for $30. Forgot to ask what they were.

I should have him ask about everything I shoot, 38 Special, 357, 40, 45, 223, and 500 S&W (starting next week). Actually, I don't think Federal makes a 500 cartridge, do they?

Edit-Federal does make 500's, they are Swift A-Frames and Barnes Expanders. I was hoping for FMJ's or Flat Nose Soft Point. But I will take what I can get.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If it was that much of a liability, Federal wouldn't let it out the door. It would be reclaimed and returned into the cycle.
Question still remains as to why it would be considered seconds. Its obvious that the ammo did not pass Federal's QC for commercial sale. I would want to know why before I use it.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Winchester employees can also buy their ammo fairly cheap. They do have a yearly limit in order to minimize buying ammo for friends and family.

They used to keep some of the local PD stocked with seconds to be used as range ammo. Due to liability they stopped a few years ago.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
offhand, I have no idea how many thousands of rounds of Black Hill's seconds that I've fired over the years, in both pistol and rifle calibers.

With BH, it's cosmetic blemishes...minor dents, etc that don't effect function a whit.

I can't see any reason why Federal seconds would be any different.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, since it's a question, and I'm kind of interested, send me a skidload of mixed .380, .40, 9x19, .45ACP, 5.56 and .308, maybe some 7mmRM. I'll figure it out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Question still remains as to why it would be considered seconds. Its obvious that the ammo did not pass Federal's QC for commercial sale. I would want to know why before I use it.
I got 1k rounds of Federal seconds and never again. When Federal sells seconds it's the responsibility of the buyer to check the ammo before reselling. (Got that directly from Federal when they tracked the sale of my rounds.) About 3% had issues that included an OAL that was too long, dented rims, and cases that were pealed back. The results were FTF and FTE including stuck cases. I'll look for some pics but some of the rounds were way beyond OAL spec for .45.

I've shot probably 7-8k rounds of Federal over the last couple of years so it's not Federal in general. If you buy, inspect every round. Not worth the hassle IMO unless you are getting it dirt cheap and have the time to inspect and they can guarantee that there are no charge issues.

Edit: Here are some pics. I believe I pulled these out of the last 250 rounds that were in the can. You can see the damaged cases and, unless I'm mistaken, the OAL should be 1.275 or less which I assume is why several of my pistols were having feeding issues with this case of ammo. Rounds in the lot were anywhere from 1.256 to 1.295.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
A customer of ours's relative works for hornady....they have a "pool" for all the blem ammo. You put your name in the pool and when your name comes up, you get to pick boxes of blems @ no charge...more details than that but that's what I have been told.

.308 seems to be a popular blem. I have been told they scrap stuff with bad headstamps

I am still waiting for my boxes to show up........lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts