Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else use Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP as their personal defense load?

·
Registered
29,587 Posts
In my 1911, yes.

In my HK's and Glocks, no...but I know it works in them, and would have no problem using it.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have a few spare mags loaded with Hydra-Shoks. They feed just fine and get the job done.

I prefer Winchester Rangers though.

·
Banned
284 Posts
The post in the hollowpoint cavity doesn't allow debris anywhere to go except to clog it. In testing, the 230gr Hydra-shok loading has demonstrated a failure to expand when using both single layer 100% cotton material and the IWBA 4-layer 14oz denim standard of 90% as one in ten rounds tested shows any type of expansion. Federal Hydra-Shok has shown to have less than reliable expansion in testing through 4-layer denim into calibrated ballistic gelatin.

Don't believe the wild claims made by gun magazines and the fictional "Stopping Power" books claiming '96% one-shot stops' using the .45 Hydra-Shok, because it's pure fantasy.

Although HS was state-of-the-art when it was introdued in 1988, advancements in the industry have surpassed this technology over ten years ago. Federal now offers their far superior HST lineup of ammunition that expands after encountering barriers and heavy clothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts