Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the articles about the FBI switching back to 9mm? I don't plan on switching (ever) but I know several people that have already switched and sold their 40 or 45 for a 9mm. Maybe the other caliber ammo will get cheaper to keep people buying it! I didn't see anything in the articles that would make me want to switch. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Imo, 40 s&w is pointless in 2014 and going forward. The reduction of recoil with 45acp and 9mm, along with the various advancements in bullet design makes it so.

Since handgun rounds are not optimal, why not choose faster and more accurate follow up shots which youre more than likely will need in a self preservation encounter?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Imo, 40 s&w is pointless in 2014 and going forward. The reduction of recoil with 45acp and 9mm, along with the various advancements in bullet design makes it so.

Since handgun rounds are not optimal, why not choose faster and more accurate follow up shots which youre more than likely will need in a self preservation encounter?

Or just practice with your 40 or 45 more so the "recoil" is more managable.
Most 45s are larger and heavier than 9 so they absorb more of the recoil and the difference between 9 and 40 in a compact gun recoil is pretty close to the same. I'll keep my 40 and keep practicing so as to be able to control the recoil for those follow up shots.
All you 9 fans can fight with the govt/fbi in your search for ammo during the next shortage. I'll stroll in to the store and walk out with my 40 just like I did in the last ammo scare.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
With my .45 inventory consisting of over 18,000 rounds of either factory SD ammo or components needed to roll my own, I'll not be switching any time soon. ;)

That said, I went shopping with my daughter's husband yesterday. After handling a few different makes, he came home with a brand new 4.5" XDm 9mm. I suggested the caliber due to recoil and ammo costs.

Though he's a native Texas boy, this is his first handgun.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Most 45s are larger and heavier than 9 so they absorb more of the recoil and the difference between 9 and 40 in a compact gun recoil is pretty close to the same. I'll keep my 40 and keep practicing so as to be able to control the recoil for those follow up shots.
All you 9 fans can fight with the govt/fbi in your search for ammo during the next shortage. I'll stroll in to the store and walk out with my 40 just like I did in the last ammo scare.
It has nothing to do with someone being a fan of one over the other. Its about doing what makes a lot of sense.

If I had to equip and qualify 10,000 LEO's on a pistol, if I could get them to be efficient within 1k rounds per officer and not 4k per, why not do it? Makes more sense from a tactical and economical stand point. There is really no advantage to shooting 40 S&W at all. .I came to this realization back in '07.

Apply the same logic to the concealed carrier or a competitive shooter.

As far as availability goes, thats a regional thing.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts

Because the .40 is a bigger round ?

Because my wrist does not hurt when shooting the .40 ?

Oh , and it's bigger. (I have 9mms too just wanted to answer)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Understand that part.
However I prefer 40 and as above have invested in a large stock of supplies accordingly and won't be switching any time soon.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Because the .40 is a bigger round ?

Because my wrist does not hurt when shooting the .40 ?

Oh , and it's bigger. (I have 9mms too just wanted to answer)
:lol: Which does not equate to a quicker death of a bad guy. The whole point is stopping a threat, not pacifying complexes.

If bigger bullet meant better results, we'd all be carrying 500 S&W

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
given the exact shot placement with 9 and 40 i'd take the 40. You made a good point in qualifying the LEO's though i'm just saying I don't think claiming .40 is pointless is the best idea.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
given the exact shot placement with 9 and 40 i'd take the 40. You made a good point in qualifying the LEO's though i'm just saying I don't think claiming .40 is pointless is the best idea.
Why?
My goals in a SD shooting is speed and accuracy. Which, for me Im better with, and most others, are with 45acp and 9 mm. If size makes one feel more comfortable with their ammo choice, go 45 in 230 grain. Less recoil for FASTER follow ups and the hole is bigger.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Why?
My goals in a SD shooting is speed and accuracy. Which, for me Im better with, and most others, are with 45acp and 9 mm. If size makes one feel more comfortable with their ammo choice, go 45 in 230 grain. Less recoil for FASTER follow ups and the hole is bigger.
Bingo.

The .40 was never anything more than a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It has nothing to do with someone being a fan of one over the other. Its about doing what makes a lot of sense.

If I had to equip and qualify 10,000 LEO's on a pistol, if I could get them to be efficient within 1k rounds per officer and not 4k per, why not do it? Makes more sense from a tactical and economical stand point. There is really no advantage to shooting 40 S&W at all. .I came to this realization back in '07.

Apply the same logic to the concealed carrier or a competitive shooter.

As far as availability goes, thats a regional thing.
Pretty much how I feel too. I shoot a 9mm better than I do a 40. Even if you practice and get faster with your 40, chances are, you're still going to be quicker with a 9.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
This is an odd sub forum to have this discussion in.

But I suppose the caliber debate knows no bounds.
I was at the range the other day after re-upping my membership. This guy was commenting in a slightly whiny manner that he was shooting low-right with his 9mm shield and was asking my advice.

I picked up his shield with lazer doombringer and colored in markings, put one round in a magazine, established my grip and breathing and plunked one round, COM on the head. 25 feet. Dude was looking at me bug eyed.

The important thing in this is that 9vs40vsbunghole does not matter unless you can pick up said weapon platform and fire one round out of it, putting said round exactly where you want it to go.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
+1!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts