Springfield XD Forum banner

faulty round disposal?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Deer Slayer 
#1 ·
Random question that I never really gave much thought to, as I have never had a misfire. But if you have a misfire and you eject the faulty round, what is the proper way to dispose of it at the range?

#2 ·
throw it downrange really far. well, thats what i do if im in the desert.
i dont know about a brick n mortat type range, your best bet is to let a rangemaster handle it. Actually i just remembered this happened to me about a year ago, the range master wasnt nearby, i had an FTF, dented primer. The gun wasnt hot so i just reloaded it and tried again, no bang, left the pistol pointed downrange for 5 min while i shot another gun, after i realized it wasnt going to spontaneously combust i just tossed it in the trash.

Disclaimer:
Dont do anything i just said as itll probly kill you and i dont need a lawsuit.

#3 ·
throw it downrange really far. well, thats what i do if im in the desert.
i dont know about a brick n mortat type range, your best bet is to let a rangemaster handle it. Actually i just remembered this happened to me about a year ago, the range master wasnt nearby, i had an FTF, dented primer. The gun wasnt hot so i just reloaded it and tried again, no bang, left the pistol pointed downrange for 5 min while i shot another gun, after i realized it wasnt going to spontaneously combust i just tossed it in the trash.

Disclaimer:
Dont do anything i just said as itll probly kill you and i dont need a lawsuit.

Yeah, most of those sound like pretty bad ideas!

Next?!

#5 ·
just tuck it into your pocket...lol

Depending on the gun I will ether cock it again and try a second time, and if its still no go I will set gun down facing down range and do something else for a bit...if it still doesn't go off I will unload it and toss it down range...

#6 ·
just tuck it into your pocket...lol

Depending on the gun I will ether cock it again and try a second time, and if its still no go I will set gun down facing down range and do something else for a bit...if it still doesn't go off I will unload it and toss it down range...
see im not the only one, lol.
thats pretty much what we do in the military

#8 ·
We had a misfire at the inddor shooting range, ejected it, and gave it to the range manager. Sorry, but I don't know what he does with them. Why don't you get on the website with the mfg and ask them what they recommend? If you have too many from this mfg, you bet they'd be hearing from me!

#9 ·
We had a misfire at the inddor shooting range, ejected it, and gave it to the range manager.
If you have a failure to fire you should keep the gun pointed downrange for at least 30 seconds, and then eject it. Once it is out of the gun, and no barrel or chamber to create pressure, a bullet really isn't going to do much of anything in the way of damage if the primer were to finally go off.

The last time I went to the range I was at the counter getting my targets. A guy came out with a round that failed to fire, the employee tossed it in a drawer full of them.

#11 ·
Once it is out of the gun, and no barrel or chamber to create pressure, a bullet really isn't going to do much of anything in the way of damage if the primer were to finally go off.
Not entirely true...

I still have a piece in my hand from a loose bullet going off... Ah yes the memories. It burst like a frag!

#12 ·
Talk about shot confirmation, you see a bright flash, and the middle of the target disappears! I hold the gun pointed downward, and at the ground for a few seconds before I rack another one. I did that with the .22 one day, and the shell blew up at my feet! .22LR seem to be the worst for delayed fire. Never had any other caliber do a delayed fire. They go bang, or they don't. I remember I stuck a dud 12ga shell in the bullseye, and shot it with the .22. BAD IDEA, that shell came back at me smacked me right in the forehead! Left a little lump, and a red spot, I just sat there laughing thinking that was STUPID! Rifle, and handgun rounds blow up when you shoot them though. Still not safe, they throw pieces of the shell all over. Seriously, I quit doing things like that because of the number of stupid accidents I've seen. ;)

Disclaimers:
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! Let alone at the range, I don't think they'd let you back. I'm not responsibe for when you or BYSTANDERS get hit with pieces of the shell or bullet, causing injury or death. This kind of thing is STUPID (but fun).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.