Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the family and the in-laws to the local range yesterday. The wife and mother-in-law had their new guns but I also took everything I own and the boys brought their air soft guns too.

I think the in-laws thought they would just pop off a few rounds and go, but we ended up shooting for 4+ hours.

It wasn't about accuracy at all, it was about just using the weapons and using them safely. I printed off all kinds of animal targets (but lots of rabbits because the father in law has a bit of rabbit infestation). I also brought all the metal targets.

The thing is I can't imagine another activity that was more bonding since everyone was helping everyone else, the kids got lots of attention from everyone. Since it was all about having things available but no pressure to do anything they are nervous about, it was fun for everyone.

A few lessons learned...

Things that move or explode are more fun. So I need to find more things to bring (like balloons and clay targets).
Bring lunch/snacks. The range has a great picnic area and grills so it would be easy to have one too.

Invite more family...

I have photos but since I'm posting from my phone I'll post them later.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me by posting their experiences working with people who don't shoot or don't shoot regularly.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Awesome, good on you. Looking forward to pictures.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Families that shoot together, stay together. Great to hear yall all had a good time! :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's awesome - It's nice to hear these things, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Sounds like fun. We showed my FIL the new 22/45, and he started bringing guns out my wife never even knew he had. Once we get settled into a club, he is definitely invited. Took our youngest (18) out yesterday with us, she had a blast. Surprised me with her accuracy!

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Using a hot glue gun, charcoal has a flat side to glue to a big piece of cardboard. Put about 5 rows of 8 on the cardboard and keep that back about 20'. A real challenge and explodes great with a .22 but the dust is better as the caliber increases.
Cheap soda pop from big box stores work good. Old fruit and veggies. Grapes on a golf tee. Emptied shotgun shells.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Pistol Ed, that sounds like a great day for sure! I love taking family & friends out with me. :cool:

I always enjoy reading these threads.

What/where range were you at? Don't forget the pics. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We were at Sportsmen's Park in Iowa, we have a family membership there. It's an outdoor self service range. They have a pistol range, covered rifle ranges at 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, an uncovered rifle range at 300yd and two shotgun ranges for skeet/trap. There is also restroom (outhouse) and a covered picnic shelter. It's out by an old sand pit so there is a fairly good man made lake which often has people fishing on it.

Anyway, it seems most of the pictures are on the mom-in-law's (MIL) camera but I've got a few on my phone.

Here's the MIL and her new revolver. What you can't see in the picture is we had a target stand about 7 yards out with pictures of Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and of course rabbits.

Here's the wife with one of the local LEO's who stopped out at the range while we were there. He was willing to give her some pointers on grip/stance.

And of course the kids were out with their Airsoft guns. They also shot FIL old "Ward's Western Field" 22lr bolt action rifle and the M&P 15/22.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Using a hot glue gun, charcoal has a flat side to glue to a big piece of cardboard. Put about 5 rows of 8 on the cardboard and keep that back about 20'. A real challenge and explodes great with a .22 but the dust is better as the caliber increases.
Cheap soda pop from big box stores work good. Old fruit and veggies. Grapes on a golf tee. Emptied shotgun shells.
That's a great idea!

Some of the idea's the wife and I talked about were to hang some cans from a string on a rope between to poles so you don't have to go and set them up each time but they'll bounce around when you hit them with the BB gun or the 22.

Blow up some balloons (and she was thinking helium) so they would hover at various heights and blow around (more challening). Also she thought that would be better so we don't shoot up the wood backstops if we just stapled them to the top like I was thinking of doing.

Old CD's (they are shiny and we have a ton of them, I might even have some AOL disks still) hanging from a string. Although she didn't like this idea as much since we'd have a bunch of plastic to pick up.

I got the tentative thumbs up to look into a dueling tree as well but it will have to withstand the .38 special...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts