Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for good .308 battle rifle and seem to have come to the final two (the aforementioned in the title). I have read up on both and they both have some pros and cons. I read the 91 is far more accurate than the fal and that that fal is ergonomically superior. Thoughts, comments?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I wouldn't describe my HK91 as accurate at least not compared to my bolt gun. With match ammo the best I could get is just over 1.5" @ 100 yards with most over 2.5". With milsurp it looks like buckshot. 3-4". That said, I've seen some 91s at 5-6" so I should feel fortunate. For reference, I'm generally under an inch with a best of .3" with my 700.

That all said, its definitely fun to shoot but you just need to be realistic about accuracy.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I wouldn't describe my HK91 as accurate at least not compared to my bolt gun. With match ammo the best I could get is just over 1.5" @ 100 yards with most over 2.5". With milsurp it looks like buckshot. 3-4". That said, I've seen some 91s at 5-6" so I should feel fortunate. For reference, I'm generally under an inch with a best of .3" with my 700.

That all said, its definitely fun to shoot but you just need to be realistic about accuracy.
He is. You understand he is comparing FAL & HK91 right? It is only you who added your 700. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
22,462 Posts
I have a HK 91 and my father has a FN FAL. I guess we will see who is the best when I get home from this deployment. I dont think youll go wrong with either buy!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
He is. You understand he is comparing FAL & HK91 right? It is only you who added your 700. :rolleyes:
Not sure what that was all about. :confused:

He didn't say what his accuracy expectations were and I was responding to his comment on the HK being "far more accurate" than the FAL, I assume the FAL would be able to shoot at least 3MOA which would be as good or better than many of the HKs I've seen and shot. I only added the bit about the 700 so he would know that 3-4" groups are not shooter error.

·
Premium Member
128,276 Posts
I have a HK 91 and my father has a FN FAL. I guess we will see who is the best when I get home from this deployment. I dont think youll go wrong with either buy!

I am definitely looking forward to that range report!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not sure what that was all about. :confused:

He didn't say what his accuracy expectations were and I was responding to his comment on the HK being "far more accurate" than the FAL, I assume the FAL would be able to shoot at least 3MOA which would be as good or better than many of the HKs I've seen and shot. I only added the bit about the 700 so he would know that 3-4" groups are not shooter error.
What it's all about is that you're bringing a bolt gun into a discussion about semi-auto battle rifle accuracy. This is like taking a sports car into a comparison of SUVs and saying, "Hey, the sports car handles better!"

I had a PTR-91 that always shot Aussie milsurp at about 2.5 MOA. My Vector Arms V-93 shoots my handloads with amazing, 0.6 MOA accuracy. I have a Bill Springfield trigger job and my handloads, and that's it.

The FAL is notorious for being a 5 MOA gun - it's about as bad as an AK. It's kind of a moot point, considering that most military ammo is never better than 2.5 MOA, while most is closer to 4 MOA.

Remember, nobody ever made a sniper rifle out of a FAL, or not a real one, anyway. The PSG1 and the MSG90 have their roots in the HK-91/G3 because the platform can be accurized significantly more than the FAL.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i have not shot a PTR 91 but fondling it, it seems to be a nice rifle.
I didnt like the stock forend however as it was kind of slippery.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
I've got a PTR/MSG91, my buddy has one of the accurized DSA FAL's (Timber Wolf?). Now, I just have a Leupold MR/T on mine, while he runs a Swarovski; however, my PTR will out shoot his by about .5-.75 inch at 100, and will continue out to 300, where I'm usually about an inch better.

I have hit silhouettes at just over a quarter mile with my PTR (the longest I had the chance to shoot it); I'm happy with it.

ETA--it's been noted in a few places that the PTR rifles are usually more accurate than their HK predecessors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
but, but, but.... there are other considerations in favor of the FAL, like... ease of field stripping, reloading un-fluted brass and not having to clean all that blow-back crud from the receiver all the time...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice CUDA66...haven't seen that one. As for posting to an old post? Maybe just trying to build up post counts so he can sell something? he did make a good point, didn't he?

·
Registered
244 Posts
What it's all about is that you're bringing a bolt gun into a discussion about semi-auto battle rifle accuracy. This is like taking a sports car into a comparison of SUVs and saying, "Hey, the sports car handles better!"

I had a PTR-91 that always shot Aussie milsurp at about 2.5 MOA. My Vector Arms V-93 shoots my handloads with amazing, 0.6 MOA accuracy. I have a Bill Springfield trigger job and my handloads, and that's it.

The FAL is notorious for being a 5 MOA gun - it's about as bad as an AK. It's kind of a moot point, considering that most military ammo is never better than 2.5 MOA, while most is closer to 4 MOA.

Remember, nobody ever made a sniper rifle out of a FAL, or not a real one, anyway. The PSG1 and the MSG90 have their roots in the HK-91/G3 because the platform can be accurized significantly more than the FAL.
I dunno if you'll see this seeing how old this thread is but how do you like Bill Springfield's trigger work? I've been thinking about sending along my trigger pack to him when I get my Form 1 back on my PTR SBR build since I'll be sending my G3 para/A3 stock to him, anyways, for him to install his heavy buffer spring mod.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i did a simple mod to mine that gave cut out all the pretravel and shortened the pull. havent messed with the springs yet.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i have a ptr 91 paratrooper but i dont have enough posts to submit a pic

btw it s a lil slice of heaven. throws brass 6 feet or more!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You realize that this thread is over a year old?
Never too old to have a good gun discussion. :eek:

Back 20 something years ago, I wanted a HK91 but couldn't afford it and ended up getting a L1A1 Sporter from Century. Swapped the furniture out for the appropriate pieces (in the early 90s) and recently sent the gun to Enterprise for a barrel swap (orig w/threaded flash suppressor) from the same kit that supplied the furniture. On the old barrel, I only shot 100 yds using a 3-9x Bushnell scope and was able to keep it at the 1" bullseye consistently on a bench rest. Haven't shot it past 100 yds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts