Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im thinking of selling my m1 carbine i built from mil surplus with 2 30rd mags and 500 rnds of ammo and a bayonet. was thinking 450.00 or trading for an ar15 20 inch upper what do you guys think would the upper be a good trade since thats what i was plan on buying with the funds anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
so im thinking of selling my m1 carbine i built from mil surplus with 2 30rd mags and 500 rnds of ammo and a bayonet. was thinking 450.00 or trading for an ar15 20 inch upper what do you guys think would the upper be a good trade since thats what i was plan on buying with the funds anyway.
Depends on what you think your time and build quality is worth. To me, all US guns are overpriced, especially the parts built carbines, Garands and 1903s that CMP sells...i do think that your price is pretty good though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well seems fair guess i will go ahead. if i didnt already have 2 m1 carbines i wouldnt unload it but the ar15 bug has bit me bad. i did have a 20 traded for a middy now i miss my 20 inch so time for another.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Some think that the US surplus rifles are overpriced. Maybe, but the fact remains that ANY decent, working US military surplus rifle or pistol is NEVER a bad investment.

Your M-1 Carbine may have been put together from a mixmaster of parts, but so were all Carbines. To my knowledge, I don't think any Carbine contractor made every part, so all were made from parts made by several contractors. Many Carbines that were re-built between WWII and Korea (like my Rock Ola/Quality Hardware beauty) were even more mixmaster than the original WWII guns.

The consensus might be that Carbines are overpriced, but theres no denying that the market for M-1 Carbines has climbed over the years. Hanging on to a nicely built Carbine that is functional might be a good idea. They will not be making any more and they will only go up in value.

ARs might be fun, but you can buy ARs of all sorts of flavors all day long. Carbines? Not so much.

I'd say keep the Carbine and enjoy it and save or trade something of lesser value for the AR.

Later on, when the rattiest of Carbines is selling for a grand (hey...it will happen)...you'll wish you had kept the Carbine. Its also a piece of US history and worth owning.

Thats just my opinion...I am not cool on selling off US military firearms unless they're total basket cases.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Some think that the US surplus rifles are overpriced. Maybe, but the fact remains that ANY decent, working US military surplus rifle or pistol is NEVER a bad investment.

Your M-1 Carbine may have been put together from a mixmaster of parts, but so were all Carbines. To my knowledge, I don't think any Carbine contractor made every part, so all were made from parts made by several contractors. Many Carbines that were re-built between WWII and Korea (like my Rock Ola/Quality Hardware beauty) were even more mixmaster than the original WWII guns.

The consensus might be that Carbines are overpriced, but theres no denying that the market for M-1 Carbines has climbed over the years. Hanging on to a nicely built Carbine that is functional might be a good idea. They will not be making any more and they will only go up in value.

ARs might be fun, but you can buy ARs of all sorts of flavors all day long. Carbines? Not so much.

I'd say keep the Carbine and enjoy it and save or trade something of lesser value for the AR.

Later on, when the rattiest of Carbines is selling for a grand (hey...it will happen)...you'll wish you had kept the Carbine. Its also a piece of US history and worth owning.

Thats just my opinion...I am not cool on selling off US military firearms unless they're total basket cases.

- Brickboy240
agreed, i just meant the fact that there have been and still are millions of M1 carbines out there...the only ones that are worth the big money (to me) are the M1a1 carbines built by only GM for the airborne troops of WW2. most of the ones you see now are the M3 style of Korean War fame...a whole bunch on the market are commercial made guns on 'military' receivers.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
the m1 carbine is one of my favorite styles in a rifle/carbine. it looks neat and is lightweight.

I think your price is good considering the extras and ammo.

I killed my first deer with a WWII bringback GM M1 when I was 10.
ahhh memories :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts