Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't seen it yet, this new FailZero EXO-Coated Bolt and carrier group looks wicked. I believe I am going to have to upgrade. I think everyone should check this out. It makes DI guns run better and cleaner. Basically you just wipe everything off like teflon. It cuts down on cleaning time and they have fired 20,000 rounds with no lube and no hiccups. It is $250 bucks but I think it is well worth it, y'all check it out and let me know what you think... I'm getting one for sure, I am in love.

FailZero - AR-15 Rifle Kits

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think the TiN coated bolt carriers look cooler, but that's just me.

This stuff has really proven its self, even though a properly set up gun doesn't need it in the first place.

Plus if you have a match 2 stage trigger, having to replace your hammer means you have to go back to a standard trigger group.
Shame they don't offer the carrier minus the bolt or hammer.

·
Registered
957 Posts

This stuff has really proven its self, even though a properly set up gun doesn't need it in the first place.

Plus if you have a match 2 stage trigger, having to replace your hammer means you have to go back to a standard trigger group.

I went with a NiB coated bcg from RGuns and am liking it.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/178086-rguns-nickel-boron-bcg.html
500 rounds mixed brass and steel cased last weekend clean up was a breeze with a little remoil and a paper towel. And you don't have to replace your current trigger group, just lightly lube carrier and you're fine.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it...:D
It does make cleaning easier..

Nice, Im liking the glock, I wish they had one for the XDM .40, the AR parts will certainly do though. :)

Im not big on the TiN stuff, its Gold, I just dont think it would look good on my rifle kind of ghetto like a gold AK or Gold Deagle, Gun bling lol. Thats me though,

And what do you mean by properly set up? I have a Colt LE6940, It comes as proper as can be out of the box, but If i can get a bolt carrier group to fire I think 50,000 rounds with no lube, I think thats a plus. Easier clean up, save money and time. Even though I clean mine religiously. I just don't understand what you mean by properly set up, please explain good sir...

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldnt mind doing my barrel and guide rod, and some other internals, but not the slide, i dont want to attract attention with a shiny pistol coming around corners or through brush. also my slide is melonite.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I understand the advantage of the BCG and why someone would make a new build using it. However, how wise it is to replace an existing BCG on a well broken in rifle would lead me to be cautious using it just to have the newest or "best". Chambers tend to "mesh" with bolts and introducing a new unit might cause problems, IMHO.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I understand the advantage of the BCG and why someone would make a new build using it. However, how wise it is to replace an existing BCG on a well broken in rifle would lead me to be cautious using it just to have the newest or "best". Chambers tend to "mesh" with bolts and introducing a new unit might cause problems, IMHO.

All long as you know how to check headspace and your bolt is anywhere near spec you should be fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
And what do you mean by properly set up? I have a Colt LE6940, It comes as proper as can be out of the box, but If i can get a bolt carrier group to fire I think 50,000 rounds with no lube, I think thats a plus. Easier clean up, save money and time. Even though I clean mine religiously. I just don't understand what you mean by properly set up, please explain good sir...
If you can afford 50,000 rounds, and you think gun oil cost too much money... I suppose. Seems like a fancy looking waste of money, realistically.

Properly set up, meaning the carrier isn't tilting and gouging the receiver or the buffer tube.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
To me its not worth the cash. It seems like a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. How long has the M16/M4 been in operation with out this?

I love having the option to buy something like this - its just not something I personally would spend money on.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you can afford 50,000 rounds, and you think gun oil cost too much money... I suppose. Seems like a fancy looking waste of money, realistically.

Properly set up, meaning the carrier isn't tilting and gouging the receiver or the buffer tube.
Bolt carrier tilt is not an issue in DI AR type rifles.

Less lube, less gunk, less friction, less heat. Fancy looking waste money?

But it is shiny:D.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I know a guy who has had several registered machineguns coated with it. It's called Robar NP3 from other suppliers.

(Robar NP-3 teflon/nickel)

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I know a guy who has had several registered machineguns coated with it. It's called Robar NP3 from other suppliers.
FailZero and NP3 are different coatings.
FailZero is Nickel Boron.
NP3 is Nickel-Teflon.

I wouldnt mind doing my barrel and guide rod, and some other internals, but not the slide, i dont want to attract attention with a shiny pistol coming around corners or through brush. also my slide is melonite.

The Nickel Boron is nowhere near as shiny or reflective as the Nickel-Teflon.

The Sig P239 is Nickel-Teflon.
The Glock 19 is Nickel Boron.

·
Registered
324 Posts
FailZero and NP3 are different coatings.
FailZero is Nickel Boron.
NP3 is Nickel-Teflon.

The Nickel Boron is nowhere near as shiny or reflective as the Nickel-Teflon.

The Sig P239 is Nickel-Teflon.
The Glock 19 is Nickel Boron.

Lowlife1, your post and pics are making me wonder what my G19 might look like if I treated my slide and barrel.

Hmmm. Where, and how much? :confused:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Lowlife1, your post and pics are making me wonder what my G19 might look like if I treated my slide and barrel.

Hmmm. Where, and how much? :confused:

Depends on what you want to treat it with.

My G19 was treated with FailZero when I bought it.

I've used CCR for Nickel teflon.
The pics of the Sig P239 above.
CCR-REFINISHING

The Nickel-Boron guys I've never used..
WMD Guns

Then there is always hard chrome.
Hard chrome is a very nice option.
Tripps did this one, but no longer provides the service.

Here are a couple other hard chrome providers.
I've never used them either.
Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish
Hard Chrome Plating & Electroless Nickel Plating, Armalloy & Gun Bluing by Mahovsky's Metalife

Sorry for the thread drift in the AR forum guys..

·
Registered
780 Posts
If I ever get the extra $$$ (stop building ARs) I'm going to have my XD.40SC done by Robar with the NP3 coating.... Springfield XD

Let us know how the new BCG works for you I'm interested myself!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
ZO6 gave me this other picture too.

Things of Beauty

·
Registered
744 Posts
Less lube, less gunk, less friction, less heat. Fancy looking waste money?

But if you're not currently having issues, then what is being accomplished?
Paranoia that one day you decide to fire $1k+ worth of ammo and you don't have any oil or a cleaning kit around, that you might experience some kind of malfunction?

Even in a SHTF situation, I don't see how it's extra insurance. It sure looks nice but that's an expensive upgrade for something you're not going to see much of. I think just the upper receiver coated in the stuff would be a nice way to go.

I also think the stuff is probably the best thing ever made for pistols, especially robar's NP3. It's beautiful, and pistols benefit most from redundancy like that finish. I don't see many guys taking a dremel to their AR15s to polish things up inside too often, while it's common practice on handguns and AK type rifles.

An FCG+Bolt carrier for an AK would be excellent. Especially if it included a piston, as those are always a bugger to clean. Hell, just coat the whole friggin gun, the gas block would love it.

I just think the AR15 design is pretty sound and redundant, without requiring any tweaking to make it perform right out of the box. Provided things are made properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts