Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a couple boxes of the cheap Russian stuff from Wal-mart. Actually wasn't bad. Soft shooting (180gr) and not too dirty. Did have a pretty good puff of smoke on each shot. It was pretty accurate. Was pretty easily popping cans offhand at 20 yards. Did find out that there is still a fair amount of expanding foam in the cans after it quits coming out...:)

BUT had 2 fails to feed. I think they were because the cases in question were gritty feeling. It felt like there was actual grit in the coating they put on the steel. Not a good rate (2 per 100).

I will still keep shooting it. Especially in locations where collecting brass is difficult! For the price and easy availability it's not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Oh, forgot to add that I shot a loose chunk of 4x4 pine. Two shots and after the second shot, it flipped away. Picked it up and the bullets were sticking out the back of the wood. Could easily pick them out by hand. 3rd hit and it split into lots of splinters.

·
Registered
127 Posts
who was holding the 4x4 chunk for ya???? just kidding.

I got the same model and it seems to eat anything i feed it i buy blazer brass mostly for mine since i can get in online cheaper that around me the wolf ammo is hard to pass up at the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
From the 'gritty feeling', seems this is more a failure due to the ammo than an XDm failure. But good to know info on the ammo.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I let my buddy shoot mine last time out and it did fail to feed a UMC 185gr hollow point.

I inspected it and the projectile was a bit out of round. I need to inspect them more closely as I am loading them.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
I let my buddy shoot mine last time out and it did fail to feed a UMC 185gr hollow point.

I inspected it and the projectile was a bit out of round. I need to inspect them more closely as I am loading them.
Why inspect.

Use a failure as a training opportunity. Clear the faulty round and get your pistol back into action.

·
Registered
42 Posts

If you don't have one, get you a Wilson Pistol Max Gage to run your reloads thru before going to the range.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the 'gritty feeling', seems this is more a failure due to the ammo than an XDm failure. But good to know info on the ammo.

Yeah, I blame the ammo. But a failure is a failure! Cleaned the gun today. It was really not bad. I've shot lots of American stuff that left tones more residue.

Anybody run the 180gr stuff across a chrono? It was shooting so soft, it must have been slow.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have shot Herter's steel-cased ammo through my XDm9 4.5 with about the same experience as you. I was surprised that I got through two boxes without failure, as the rounds were gritty and took a lot of tapping to get the rounds to nest inside the mag while loading. Good news is that probably 99.99% of people would choose a different SD round. The added bonus of being able to practice clearing the failures is probably worth buying another couple of boxes.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know that's a good point. After the first fail, I was in the mental zone expecting a second fail and was able to react to it quickly when it did.

We should probably be in that mindset all the time any way. It will happen... and with my luck it would be at an "inconvenient" moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts