Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there. I have a new to me (2010 production) xd45 compact that I took to the range for the first time today. I bought the xd because of how happy I am with my xd9. Out of 100 rnds today I had two that were interesting. One time in the middle of the mag the slide locked back when it still had rnds in the mag, and it could have been my thumb but in 1000 plus rounds on the xd9 I have never done that. So I thought with problem two it could point to something. and later it failed to feed (did not strip a round) into the chamber. I just pulled the trigger and it clicked and when I pulled back the slide there was no rnd present, but still had a few rnds in the mag. I was shooting 230gr ball and it shot wonderfully minus these two items that I wanted to ask about. Thank you for any tips.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sounds like a mag problem, try another mag. There is quite a bit more recoil to the 45C than a 9mm, so you need to watch your thumb placement. If you shoot with your support hand thumb down, it could easily cause a premature slide lock. Thumb straight or up is how I shoot mine.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Mark the mag and keep track of the failures. The early lockback might have just been you. I understand it never happened with your XD9, but this is not your XD9 - recoil and frame size are different. As for the FTF, that's why you're marking your magazine. If it happens more frequently, you may want to mark that mag for range-use only.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I have had both of these problems with my XDM 3.8 45c. #1 was my thumb pressing the slide release. Adjusted grip and hasn't happened since. #2 I have chased down to the extension on the 13 round mags. With out them no problems. If I put an extension on I get FTFs. I have trimmed an extension down and have yet to test it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for the replies. I will definitely start marking the mags to see which it was. wish I had done that yesterday... Also the rnds at the range I got were reloads as well, not sure if that matters for these two circumstances but thought I should mention it. I am going to shoot with factory loads I buy before hand next time to see if it does any different. Again thank you for the tips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was messing about with the gun earlier and took the slide off and inserted a full mag. Then I started stripping rounds one by one. I noticed that the rounds that come up the left side of the mag, the bullet comes really really close to the slide lock mechanism. If I barely touch it it will contact the slide lock mechanism. I remember reading on here about a case similar to this and they filed it down. I am not to that point yet, but on my next trip I will be shooting a box of American eagle and a box of lawman. So hopefully it was just new user error. But if it happens again I will mark the mag and go from there.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
So I was messing about with the gun earlier and took the slide off and inserted a full mag. Then I started stripping rounds one by one. I noticed that the rounds that come up the left side of the mag, the bullet comes really really close to the slide lock mechanism. If I barely touch it it will contact the slide lock mechanism. I remember reading on here about a case similar to this and they filed it down. I am not to that point yet, but on my next trip I will be shooting a box of American eagle and a box of lawman. So hopefully it was just new user error. But if it happens again I will mark the mag and go from there.
Don't file anything. Shoot the gun with factory ammo. I never shoot reloads to test a new gun. Certainly never shoot crap range reloaded ammo, ever. If it doesn't run with factory ball ammo, proper grip, then it's gotta be a mag issue first, gun issue 2nd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first brought my Shield and XDm home, I did remove the striker pins and clean out the channels. There was quite a bit of gunk in them. After that, field stripping is as far as I take it when cleaning my firearms.

You can clean up the striker channel without disassembly by using something like Gun Scrubber. Use the red straw to break down and power out the built up lube and carbon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts